Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Connecting an iPhone to Hands Free

Mick F

My wife has recently changed her iPhone 5c ....................... to an iPhone 6s running IOS 13.2

I have an iPhone 5c on IOS 10.10.3 and mine connects up via bluetooth ................. just like her old phone did.

She now can't pair up at all.  Is there an issue with IOS 13?  Her's doesn't seem to be seen by the car at all.

Thanks,  Mick.

Having searched the internet, it seems we're not alone in this issue.  IOS 12 was fine by all accounts, but when IOS 13 came out, people have had connection problems.

Surely there must be other Yaris owners with an iPhone on IOS 13?

What are your experiences?

Mick.

IOS update 13.3 downloaded and installed.  This has fixed the connection issue, but contacts don't seem to sync.

Mick.

IOS13 is causing lots of bluetooth issues, so much so that Toyota have added a note on their Technical support site regarding IOS13 issues. 

Regarding contacts on the affected phone find the Toyota pairing in the list of paired devices then select the small blue i this will open a menu, ensure the Sync contacts tan is turned on.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mick F said:

IOS update 13.3 downloaded and installed.  This has fixed the connection issue, but contacts don't seem to sync.

Mick.

Interesting you quote iOS 13.3.     I just downloaded tonight latest update on both iPhone 8 and iPad 6 iOS 13.2.2.   If I get time tomorrow I will check it out in my Prius 4

Oops!   It's IOS 13.2.2 ....................... Sorry!  I got it wrong!   Just checked again and it is definitely IOS 13.2.2

----------------------------------------------

The small blue i eh?

I'll check tomorrow, but thanks for the advice.

With my phone and her's before, they uploaded everything without an issue or anything.  I'll check tomorrow like I said.

Thanks muchly, and sorry if I mislead by being stupid! 

Mick.

I have an iPhone 11 and its running IOS 13.2.2 and once paired to the car I have not had any problems.

Dave

All sorted! 😀😀

IOS 13.2 didn't work at all, and now IOS 13.2.2 works perfectly.  All contacts are there, and everything works.

Mick.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mick F said:

All sorted! 😀😀

IOS 13.2 didn't work at all, and now IOS 13.2.2 works perfectly.  All contacts are there, and everything works.

Mick.

When I was downloading my updates to 13.2.2 it said fixes bugs and apps, so in this case it got your mobile working right with the car. 👍

When I was surfing the net yesterday about the problem, it seems that many people were saying that it the car manufacturer at fault.  Others said that if it worked before and it doesn't now, it must be an Apple fault with IOS 13

I must say that I favoured the second idea even though I had no experience of the iPhone 6s.  She only got it at the end of last week - eBay for £140 - and we have no knowledge of what IOS 12 was like or if it worked.  Whatever, it works now ........... but it didn't with 13.2 ............. but does with 13.2.2 😀

As for contacts, there's nothing to set up on the car Touch2 system, just a list of paired devices.  On Setup app on the phone, there's an blue i to the right of the paired car.  This is set for contacts, but yesterday they didn't come up, but today they do.  I can't explain that, but it works now!

All's well that ends well eh?

My iPhone 5c is very long in the tooth now, and Apple don't support them any more.  It works fine, but Mrs Mick F's iPhone 6s is so much better.  I can see me buying one off eBay too! 😀  (especially as I know it works with our car!)

Mick.

and I just sold my 6s which was in mint condition, always had a screen protector fitted and always in a case.  A nice handy size to fit in trouser pocket.

the guy who bought it, off Gumtree, lived local, and he had dropped his at work the night before. Not dropped as in out of his hand and onto the floor max 3ft below.... no, no, he dropped it over a banister so landed one floor below!  Needless to say he broke the screen and the iPhone was dead. Few days later he text me to say he was pleased with the phone, looks like new. he said.

My sad tales both include the washing machine!

Had a Samsung Galaxy in my overalls pocket and put my overalls in the machine.  When done, I hung them up in the kitchen above the cooking range to dry.  Couple of hours later, I heard a quiet beep beep, and couldn't work out where the sound came from, so walked away.  Ten minutes later, beep beep again.  Then I realised what I'd done!

Covers off, Battery out, electronics out and left to dry.  Two days later, I reassembled and powered it up.  I called it from the land line and it rang, but couldn't answer or do anything because the screen was pure bright white.  All was fine, but the screen had lost all its pixels down the drain.  🤣

I bought a secondhand iPhone 5c ................ and six months later, guess what?  Yes, I washed it! 

This time, it was totally dead, so I bought another 5c ............... a year later and it's still not yet washed, but it NEVER goes in my overalls pocket! 

Mick.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update to this, and quite interesting methinks.

Mrs Mick F in The Gambia doing voluntary work over the next three weeks.  She's phoned me a couple of times via Messenger.  It costs way too much to use the phone via the mobile system.

Today, I was driving, and she phoned me on Messenger.  Instead of her name coming up on the screen like it would do via normal mobile signal and my mobile's contacts list, the screen just said "Incoming Call".  I pressed the button on the steering wheel and we had a quick chat!  Very interesting - to me at least - that the car receives calls that are NOT on mobile signals.

Mick.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2016 Toyota Yaris Hybrid with the factory installed multimedia radio (no satnav). I use an iPhone 6 with iOS 12.4.3, and my wife uses a Huawei P10 with some Android version I do not care about (Android 9?).

Both phones are paired with the radio without major problems. The first pairing of my iPhone took a little bit longer, first it did not find the BT device Toyota Touch. However, this is not new to me, I have coupled the phone to virtually dozens of cars (rental cars and so on), and more than once it took me dozens of trials until it worked. Pairing my wife's phone was a piece of cake, 30 seconds and we were done.

Once paired, both phones work more or less flawlessly with the radio. Yesterday I even tried to select my phone for telephone mode only while my wife's phone was connected on music streaming mode.

However, it is my general impression that iOS does not support all the features of the Toyota device. It seems that the radio can display text messages and even allow to create text messages and send them over the phone - but only with android phones, not with iOS.

My iPhone is 5 years old by now. All in all it serves my needs well. However, I have a Fossil smart.watch running under Google wear (android for wearables), and it also is not fully supported by iOS. I haven't made up my mind already, but maybe my first iPhone will also be my last one - and the next may be an Android phone again.

Regarding the phone in the washing machine: If I should have an Android phone in the future, I'd probably choose a waterproof model;-)

Best regards from Bavaria

Frank

PS: This forum really uses a weird four letter word filter software. It just blanked out the string "t.watch" from the word "smart.watch"? Really?

Your English is excellent Frank, so I'm sure the four letters (t--t) in the middle were the problem - daft isn't it? There is also a certain town in Lincolnshire (first letter S) that triggers these over zealous filters!

They don't tolerate male chickens either.

I recently learned that if I type the word "mince" into a comments section on a popular Scottish newspaper it identifies it as a swear word.

That is because in Scotland mince is a euphanism for ***** e. (rhymes with white)

I know this type of software from some German forums (then obviously fitted with a German thesaurus). In most cases it helps to place a dot in the string, and suddenly Ess.ex appears uncensored;-)

Best regards from Bavaria

23 hours ago, Stivino said:

I recently learned that if I type the word "mince" into a comments section on a popular Scottish newspaper it identifies it as a swear word.

That is because in Scotland mince is a euphanism for ***** e. (rhymes with white)

That's strange because, whether it still is, mince and tatties used to be a popular Scottish delicacy.

3 minutes ago, mrpj said:

That's strange because, whether it still is, mince and tatties used to be a popular Scottish delicacy.

I could eat mince and tatties every day.  I just wish my granny was still here to make it for me.😀