Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water Leak In Boot

Ian George

Aygo 2013. Water is gathering behind the rear light in the boot. I have taken the light off tightened the gromits and sealed them. Water still coming in. I have noticed the sponge/foam behind unit is not in  a great condition. Am i able to replace the foam. Or could there be another hidden problem i am missing. Any ideas welcome?

Lamp gaskets come as part of the bulb holder parts numbers:

81555-0H080

81565-0H080

On the rear of the Aygo if you can see water around the insides of the rear lamps then check the centre stop lamp part number 81570-0H010 and the two rubber stoppers near the lamp, replace the lamp gaskets and apply sealant to the stoppers

My wifes 2009 Aygo is out of use at the moment - sat on the drive as my wife is waiting for a foot injury to heal. There is rain coming into the drivers side rear. I have taken out the carpets and dried it. I have removed and sealed the high brake light, I have applied sealant to the groove in the boot seal and refitted it. I have checked the rear lights. On careful checking after rain, I can see that water has dripped down from above the rear light recess. Any suggestions? Hard to replicate with a hose pipe - but rain gets in!

These issues are sadly common to many different Toyota cars. I thought i fixed my water leak on right side, only to have it appear now on left, which was dry before.

In my case it was not light cluster, but water going around the cluster, down to the bodywork and through the gaps in the bodywork, into the boot.

My advice is to strip the back out so you can see the bare body, have someone pout a bottle of water, or spray the car with water, and see exactly where it's coming from.

It was same for me, now imagine very hard rain, those would be tiny streams of water going into your boot, and it does not take much to get it full, out of 4 times, 1 was 50% full, other 25%.

I noticed that along those lines where bodywork was connected, there was a lot of silicone sealant applied, but at some places missing, and that's where the water was coming in.

Since i had some silicone sealant opened, i used it to plug the holes from inside the car.  

Ideally you should take the bumper off and see if there is some risk of water pockets forming if you plug it from inside. I did not do this as i had water in boot multiple times and large pockets of rust starting (mostly on places where spare tire was interacting with car body), and it was a risk i was willing to take.

Not from my photo that it is higher than the bumper and the car is not being driven (for a few months now). If I silicone inside then I could end up with water still entering and getting trapped somewhere. I want to stop it getting in.

Usually the two rear tailgate bump stops, rear lamp seals and a new High level brake light cures any water leaks into the boot 

The high level light has been siliconed - even the screw heads have been covered.It was removed and cleaned - sealant applied and then refited.

DSCF5761.JPG

DSCF5760.JPG

Edited by JohnPDerby
Photo added

Doesn't mean it is still not leaking from there. The lamps are modified and a know issue for leaking :thumbsup:

I have just had the high level brake light off again. Cleaned it and the opening and applied loads of sealant. Also injected some around the bump stop. Everything else is lower than where it is dripping in. Rain is more effective than a hosepipe - so let's see if it rains in the night. Is there anything to investigate under the strip along the roof?