Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Diesel stolen catalytic converter

Micken

I hava a t27 2010, 2.0 diesel tourer without a Dpf filter, Is there a catalytic converter on my car which can be stolen.

All petrol and diesel cars since a certain year have a catalytic converter fitted. That includes your car.

I keep reading about the Prius and other toyota hybrids with stolen cats, just wondering if my car could be targeted.

It's a risk in theory with any vehicle built in the past 20+ years. All diesels have been fitted with catalysts since 1997. However thieves tend to go for easy targets, ie vehicles with high ground clearance such as vans, 4x4s, SUVs, simply because its easy to crawl underneath and get at the exhaust. The Avensis doesn't have a particularly easily accessible exhaust so probably isn't likely to be a prime target. 

8 hours ago, yossarian247 said:

It's a risk in theory with any vehicle built in the past 20+ years. All diesels have been fitted with catalysts since 1997. However thieves tend to go for easy targets, ie vehicles with high ground clearance such as vans, 4x4s, SUVs, simply because its easy to crawl underneath and get at the exhaust. The Avensis doesn't have a particularly easily accessible exhaust so probably isn't likely to be a prime target. 

Micken specifically mentioned Prius and other hybrids as targets..... certainly a Prius does not have big ground clearance, in fact it designed low so can benefit from low friction thro the air.   Prius and other hybrids (also quoted by Micken) are probably targeted it is thought because the petrol engine is running for only a %age of the time, maybe only 50% of the time, therefore the CAT is likely to be cleaner inside so the precious metals can be reclaimed easier.  Conversely Diesel engines cars will have dirtier CATS.

4 hours ago, Catlover said:

Micken specifically mentioned Prius and other hybrids as targets..... certainly a Prius does not have big ground clearance, in fact it designed low so can benefit from low friction thro the air.   Prius and other hybrids (also quoted by Micken) are probably targeted it is thought because the petrol engine is running for only a %age of the time, maybe only 50% of the time, therefore the CAT is likely to be cleaner inside so the precious metals can be reclaimed easier.  Conversely Diesel engines cars will have dirtier CATS.

I have heard that the Prius has two cats close together on the same pipe, thereby making it twice as valuable. Not sure if that's true? 

Certainly there are plenty of thefts of catalysts from diesels. At work we supply fleets of vans to the utility companies and many are now specifying cat-locks on them for that very reason. Ground clearance does seem to be a factor because it makes the job easier for a thief. 

A lot of Cats on Toyota are part of the manifold, right at the front and difficult to get at, others are halfway down the pipe 

I read the comments above and also from the Prius forum. I would like to add what I know.
Catalytic convertor location and access. The Auris and Prius hybrids have their cats' bolted after the manifold. This means cordless impact gun with extension, will get at the bolts. Then using a cordless reciprocating saw, cut the other end of the cat' from the rest of the exhaust. 
AURIS HYBRID UKP |  EXHAUST PIPE

The Auris exhaust system show the catalytic convertor at the front. The pipe is cut before the No.2 in the diagram. The Prius 3rd Gen' is very similar
Here is a video i found showing the Prius 2nd Gen' system - 

This give an idea how good access is.

Interestingly the Yaris hybrid exhaust system is totally different, as the catalytic convertor is part of the exhaust manifold, -  YARIS HYBRID FRP |  MANIFOLD

The Yaris set up hopefully makes it extremely difficult to to do the quick removal, unlike the Auris/Prius systems. 
Another tool in the thieves kit, is the low access quick lift trolley jack. The car needs to be too low for any low access jack, and that would need air ride suspension!

According to some reports, hybrids are prefered targets because the catalytic convertor are less used, meaning less contamination of the precious materials. This alone answers the OP's question. 

The OP's car is a diesel Avensis and the layout different. AVENSIS |  MANIFOLDAVENSIS |  EXHAUST PIPE

With this info and what was said above - No! The exhaust is far less likely taken, unless to order.

They are usually cut off mercilessly 😱 takes seconds, nobody bats an eyelid....sadly 

On 11/12/2019 at 4:42 PM, Micken said:

I keep reading about the Prius and other toyota hybrids with stolen cats, just wondering if my car could be targeted.

i work in toyota hyudai joint dealership and from what ive seen so far the cats on the hyundai tucsons are being robbed and traded for cash in the hundreds but i reckon the one on the avensis aint worth much i have 3 avensis and i priced a cat for trade to those guys that are collecting them off people for cash and h said only 70quid for mine off a 2.0d4d btw so i would worry too much bpout it getting robbed plus yurs is harder car to get under tucsons and other likewise suvs are higher up so these thieves can get under easily and nick them

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links