Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Corolla 2003 a good buy in 2019?

NDonchev

Hello guys. I'm planning to buy a car soon and I want a reliable and economical car (petrol on which I will put LPG system). I plan to use the car long term - maybe 10-15 years. The car will be used mostly outside of the city. Ideally it should be no more than 100 horsepower (74kw) because of taxasion in my country

Toyota Corolla is often said to be a very reliable car, but the problem is it is more then 15 years old currently. Is it still a good buy in case I plan to drive it for at least 10 years more?

Another option I'm considering is the Toyota Auris (around 2010) as it is newer. However, according to this forum it doesn't seem as reliable as the Corolla:
https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/135089-differences-between-auris-and-corolla/

Can you please give me some advise?

Thank you.

Whether it is a 9 year old Auris or 16 year old Corolla, much depends on the condition of individual vehicles.

As regards petrol engines of around 100bhp, you will be looking for either a 1.4 Corolla, or a 1.33 Auris - between from 2007 and 2008 the 1.4 engine from the Corolla continued in the Auris.

What tended to let the early Auris down was the quality of the interior trim. The plastic on the dash for example feels a bit flimsy and can be prone to trim rattles.

However, none of this seems to translate into poor reliability. Mechanically they seem no less reliable than the Corolla they replaced in my experience. I've owned my Auris for approaching 6 years now and its been the second most reliable car I've ever owned (only beaten by our Avensis).

As above, at the sort of age your are looking at I would buy on condition rather than going for a specific model in preference to another.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links