Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help! 91 Corolla Dx Wont Start!

yeclek

hey - im new to this forum, great info! maybe someone has suggestions?

i have a 91 corolla dx - had been driving for about half an hour when the radio died, followed by the lights, followed by the car itself. i replaced the alternator ( i'm not much of a mechanic, but i'm broke, and the alternator seemed simple enough without paying someone else). Now the car jumpstarts fine, and will continue running (ran it for about an hour and a half), but wont start on its own (no click, nothing). when it is running, the radio still fades out (but ONLY when accelerating - it is fine otherwise). Is it possible I fried the Battery when the car died originally? or is replacing the Battery a waste of time - is the problem likely wiring? solenoid? starter? I really want to fix anything i can with simple tools before i take it to a mechanic. anysuggestions appreciated.

i may be well off...but its worth lookin into.....are the earths all ok.. as i think this could cause such a problem. i may be wrong cos im only just gettin started with cars....but hope im right

I'm not much of a mechanic either but you sound spot on, if the car died becasue the Battery wasn't charging and you've replaced the alternator which charges the Battery (I think thats right isn't it, told you I didn't know cars to well) then the logical conclusion would be that the Battery is dead and not holding any charge.

Only worrying thing would be I would have thought the alternator would have kept enough charge running throuhg the car to keep it ticking over...

Other opinions will be on shortly...

Try either taking your alternator to a garage they willl be able to plug it into a board and check everything on it. I had a similar problem to this on my cough cough corsa c. If its fine try taking voltage tests before u go for a drive and then stop and test again do it several times. and try all wires going to alternator and from also to Battery for current when Battery is on.

If the alternator has already been changed I would put money on it being the Battery, I have spoken to to a few people and all came to the same conclusion....

If it isn't a closed Battery check the water and electrolite level, if it's low fill it up to 3mm over the plate level, if it is a closed Battery chuck it and buy a new one....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links