Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I think i blew my engine yesterday... what are my options for replacements? (Avensis 98" _T22_ 4A-FE)

Tor André

So the day finally came where my engine gave up, it was struggling for well over a year before it gave up. Now i'm wondering what are my options for engine replacements. Should i just get another 4A-FE or can i but in something like a 1ZZ-FE, without too much hassle? I have looked into the 7A-FE as a replacement, but i looks like i need to change a lot for just 10 more ponies... A quick answer would be much appreciated, as i need to get this car up and running ASAP!

-Tor André V.

Quick answer would be get the same engine, and save yourself the trouble.

You wont really feel the difference with an engine that has 10 BHP more, so why bother.

3 minutes ago, furtula said:

You wont really feel the difference with an engine that has 10 BHP more, so why bother.

And I probably will, but is it possible to put a 3ZZ-FE or 1ZZ-FE in without having to change everything?

I would not know, and considering the age, and the fact engine swaps in Europe are not really a thing, unless you have to, your chances of getting a reply to that are slim.

That's why i said put the same engine in.

Don't even think about putting something different in there, you'd be opening up another can of worms.

Replace it like for like and save yourself a lot of time and trouble.

5 hours ago, furtula said:

That's a 10% increase in power - it really should be noticeable (although I'm not advocating changing the engine type as it is unlikely to be straightforward).

45 minutes ago, kcorfognik said:

That's a 10% increase in power - it really should be noticeable (although I'm not advocating changing the engine type as it is unlikely to be straightforward).

Peak power for gasoline engine is over 4k RPM, so i doubt you would feel it in daily driving the car. 

If it was a turbo diesel, things would be noticeable.

A new engine type would probably need some of the ECU's, sensors and wiring harnesses to be changed. Possibly even to the immobiliser and ignition key transponder chip. Not as straightforward as engine swaps used to be in the days of carburetors and points ignition.

To change to a different engine would need a whole lot of changes! 
The ECU and wiring will need to be fitted. The complete exhaust has to be changed, since the head of the ZZ engines is turned 180°, meaning the inlet will be at the front, rear towards the rear. So long as the transmission is the same, it could save extra cost! The add the ancillaries, cooling system and other parts needed. 
Another option would be the 7A engine. Less changes and a little more torque.