Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Extended warranty second exhaust temperature sensor

Devon Jim

D44D Avensis 14 plate

As indicated in a previous post my dpf has failed after 150k. I have decided to replace it at the main dealer as it is a good car and 250k is easily possible with frequent oil changes. 

They have indicated a second exhaust sensor has corroded. They have rather reluctantly said it isn't covered by my extended warranty as it is corrosion. I think a corroded sensor after four years indicates some impurity in the component and I have indicated I may contest it, though I remain on good terms as always. 

Am I being unfair on them? 

Depends. Your driving habits can easily cause lots of condensation inside the exhaust system, leading to corrosion.  This would typically be lots of short trips, where the car doesn't warm up properly and boil off the water in the exhaust fumes. Do you think it could be your routines at blame, or more the fault of a manufacturing defect? It could even be both in concert.

2 hours ago, paul9 said:

This would typically be lots of short trips, where the car doesn't warm up properly and boil off the water in the exhaust fumes.

I would be surprised if 150,000miles in 5years would be made up of short trips?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links