Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gearbox Issues

Tony.F

Hi, 

I have a 2004 Rav4 2.0 VVti Petrol 3 door and it has just started jumping out of 5th gear - hard to get into 5th and will not stay in 5th unless you hold the gear level.

The second you let go it jumps straight out.

Any ideas / help on whats causing this would e appreciated?

Oil Change?

Adjustment?

New Gearbox?

Thanks, Tony.

That sounds like a worn synchro, any problem with others gears, crunching, hard to get into gear etc?

Any play in gear selectors from the outside?

Have you checked the oil level?

Maybe try searching for some oil made for worn out synchros, if there is such thing, that would be cheapest thing to try.

5th is the first  to gear to go if the gearbox oil is low - drain the gear box oil and see if it's got any glitter in it

If it has metallic bits (Glitter) in the oil you have 2 option refill it and hope it doesn't go bang or put a rebuilt/new gearbox in the car (while your going to that sort of effort change the clutch at the same time)

if the oil is clean look at the linkage

Could have a look at the following - 

Moved to the Rav4 club. 

• Thanks 1

I changed my 5 th gear when I had my 2004 4.2, took me 3 hours not too bad to do , drain oil, remove passenger front wheel and you will see a black plate on end of gearbox, remove that and you will be looking at the 5th gear assembly , undue selector arm, remove bolt on end and use a a puller to remove, take whole assembly keeping it together and I put mine on kitchen table and slowly take apart replacing the 5th gear and other bits, then build back up push back on . If you contact parts king on here he will give you a price for all parts required, I got all mine direct from Japan including postage cost me around £230 few years ago now. Common problem but once replaced won’t happen again .

the above guide is really good .