Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

56 Aygo using oil, no leaks, no sooty exhaust.

fopetesl

I've had this Aygo for four years and it's done 120K miles. Still gives 55mpg rural roads.

But it's using a litre of oil every 1K miles.

Exhaust gas analyser shows no issues.

Why is it using so much oil??

If there are no leaks then it is being burnt, small amounts of oil are bypassing the piston rings and being burnt of during combustion although not enough to trouble the catalyst yet.

The cause of the oil bypassing the piston rings could be a few things:

1, Wear, the bores are worn and no longer allowing a good seal with the piston rings

2, Excessive crankcase pressure, perhaps a blocked PCV

3, Carbon/gummed up piston rings

I agree with the above. Try a propriatory additive to de-gum the rings first, added to the fuel.

What oil are you using? It should be fully synthetic 0w20,. Check the PCV.

Oil. Somewhat confusing. Some say 5W30, some 0W30.

I've been using 3W30.

Suggest a good ring degummer?

High oil consumption can be cause by a lot more than worn cylinder bores or piston rings.

So, before you do anything, you should find out why it is using oil.  You can put all the fancy oils in the world in there but I would be surprised if you see any difference.

I don't think one litre of oil every thousand miles wouldn't be considered excessive on an engine with that kind of mileage so, you might be as well to learn to live with it other than to start throwing money at it.

16 hours ago, Stivino said:

High oil consumption can be cause by a lot more than worn cylinder bores or piston rings.

So, before you do anything, you should find out why it is using oil.  You can put all the fancy oils in the world in there but I would be surprised if you see any difference.

I don't think one litre of oil every thousand miles wouldn't be considered excessive on an engine with that kind of mileage so, you might be as well to learn to live with it other than to start throwing money at it.

Not very helpful, Stivino. Did I say I was going to throw money at it??

I'd just like to know what's causing the oil usage.  And. If there's a cheap fix, maybe the PCV wants TLC, I'll give it a try.

Not very helpful or not what you want to hear?

That's the way it is, I'm afraid.

Just to add, heard many owners over the years hit about 100K and like you experience higher oil usage, but cars run and drive as normal, not heard of any cheap easy fix, but you could try above, but many have soldiered on to 150K and beyond, but eventually many owners just fitted a newer 2nd hand engine, it cheaper than re-build, funnily enough someone just fitted a 2012 29K engine to 2005 150K, they fitted it themselves, even with new starter, water pump + fluids they did it for £300.

I have had many Aygos, do serious mileage, and taken a couple above the 100k mark.. like you, one of mine started to use a bit of oil.. my honest recommendation is to just keep topping it up.. it will keep ploughing on..and see how things go. Mine stopped the oil burning after another 20k or so miles passed by.

• Thanks 1

Any ring degummer in a car supplies place will help.

Mine's done 137,000 km, and last year took the owners around Portugal, and the oil level did not move!

My owner's book says they recommend 0w20 oil, and IF you need to put anything else in, to revert to 0w20 at the next oilchange.

As I have several cases of Amsoil 0w20 I'm good for a long time!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links