Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Low fuel warning - how much is left.

AndrueC

Guess I'll finally find out. I knew it would be close this week but the orange warning finally appeared as I left work. After parking in the garage the car claims 19 miles left so it'll be interesting to see what it takes to fill the tank. My second Honda Jazz showed the warning with 1.5 gallons (75 miles left!) but the current Jazz only has a gallon left in the tank. I wonder what Toyota consider to be 'low' 🙂

The low fuel light should come on when there is either 1.6 gallons (1.2T) or 1.4 gallons (hybrid) remaining. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I recall I let mine get to 0 and the light come on and there was about 5 liters left when i refilled it.

16 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The low fuel light should come on when there is either 1.6 gallons (1.2T) or 1.4 gallons (hybrid) remaining. 

Useful info, I had always guessed about 2gals

I filled up last night, just after the light had come on suggesting 30 miles range remaining. I put in 39l against a capacity stated as 43l, so there was 4l left, which at my current consumption of around 40mpg would give 35 miles range. 

• Like 1

35 litres for a rather poor 52 mpg. So looks like I had 8 litres left or around 100 miles, lol.

Pity about the fuel consumption but it has been a cold and wet few weeks so not unexpected. Pretty sure my Jazz would have been below 50 mpg.

• 1 month later...

When my low fuel warning light came on today, the car indicated that I had 25 miles range remaining.  By the time I got to the fuel station, I was down to 5 miles!  Yet I only managed to get 36.5 litres into the tank (though if I had persevered, I probably would have got a little more).  So it looks like the warning light calibration is there or thereabouts - but the miles remaining calculation doesn't look very accurate, unless the computer is being clever and is resetting the zero miles remaining point based on when I normally fill up?  I don't usually fill up until after the warning light comes on and although I haven't recorded it, I'm sure that the miles remaining at that point has come down every time.

I have never filled more than 38.5 liters out of 43 total. I always drive to 0-range, and 10-15 miles beyond that. 

Some how I miss my old Skoda Octavia. When range hit 0, I could go no more than 10 miles before running out. When cars are fitted with various instruments, I prefer them to as accurate as possible, and not just a rough guidance. 

It's not generally a good idea to let any car get this low on fuel. The fuel acts as a coolant for the fuel pump and also creates head pressure which eases a lot of strain on the pump. It's not uncommon for fuel pumps to go out on cars that have routinely been run low on fuel. That said Toyotas are apparently a bit more resilient to this than some other manufacturers, but I still wouldn't take the risk unnecessarily.