Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Rav 4 2.2 D-CAT starting problem/ problems

Ville Fransson

We have had this problem for more or less 2 years and in the last year the car has stood still. It is an 2006 Toyota rav 4 2.2 cat which has ran for 245.000 km. Basically the car only barely starts if it has full starting power and someone priming the primer pump. If not it just cranks forever. We have narrowed it down to there leaking in air somewhere in the system but we do not know where. The car usually restarts kind of okay but after sitting a while there is no way without someone pumping. Anyone had a similar issue?

We had a similar problem on a 2006 D4D. circa 150,000 miles. Some days it took ages to start the car, even when priming the pump. When the car ran it would often have a lot of black smoke under heavy acceleration. Checked loads of things, Battery was good, glow plugs were changed. Eventually we had the injectors replaced. Car was running as sweet as a nut until it was T-boned recently.

Hi

How are you guys?

Ville, mine has 270000 km , so we are almost same .

And we are close in the starting issue as well i suppose.

It started 3 months ago, kranked and started with difficulty(especially when hot ) ,sometimes couldn't keep idle . White smoke when cold and while running  on uphill .

Changed ....1) plunger on the fuel filter(I think this is the primer pump)    2)Fuel valve pump    3)glow plugs   and nothing really changed .

Then we cleaned egr ( which is almost blocked) ..........No more white smoke .

Krnaks and starts with difficulty but not like before . Its different now .  Its been 10 days i got it back from the garage(egr cleaning) . I have to study it a little more.

After what Ville has said about priming and what its been said on this thread about plunging ...... I m very excited to give it a try . 

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/81346-rav-4-t180-starting-problems/?ct=1574353905   

I have discussed my issue with many people ...  most say that i have to go and check the injectors ''physically'' one by one .

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links