Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help - car won't start!

ProfGlenn

Hi - first time this has ever happened. I have the Auris 1.8 Hybrid and when I depress the pedal there is lots of clicking and all the warning lights and the window wipers are really slow.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

Glenn

27 minutes ago, ProfGlenn said:

Hi - first time this has ever happened. I have the Auris 1.8 Hybrid and when I depress the pedal there is lots of clicking and all the warning lights and the window wipers are really slow.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

Glenn

Glenn I would suggest the 12v Battery is flat

9 minutes ago, stevecrvn said:

Glenn I would suggest the 12v battery is flat

Thanks - as I thought.  Are these expensive?  My guess is not covered by extended warranty?

7 minutes ago, ProfGlenn said:

Thanks - as I thought.  Are these expensive?  My guess is not covered by extended warranty?

Not sure about the warrenty always worth asking the question .

Yes, the current fixed price is £125 inc fitting from Toyota.

It is (surprise!) a somewhat unusual size/shape. 

With the cold weather (which reduces the battery's ability to deliver), this is probably high season for Battery replacement! 

Question is, are there any better options?

Since the Battery lives 'inside' the passenger space, a cheap 'wet' lead/acid Battery is a bad idea, it needs to be AGM with a vent pipe that can be connected to the car's vent ... 

Given the different duty cycle of the hybrid's 12v compared to a conventional car's battery, I can see the logic in using the type of battery designed for a golf buggy, mobility scooter, solar powerbank or computer UPS. These could have a greater electrical capacity (and weight) for the same volume - if I can find one that will fit in my Auris (TS/Estate) battery tray. 

Does anyone have the dimensions of the hybrid Auris TS maximum 12v battery 'footprint' dimensions? 

The Ritar RA12-33 has the same footprint ± the odd mm, but is an inch less tall (so needing a bit of packing to clamp securely in place) and giving similar capacity to the original, the only advantage would be an ability to withstand without damage occasional flattenings. But it should be only about £65 delivered inc the correct terminal adapters. 

Since the hybrid doesn't need a big Battery to boot up the car, how small can one go with a "jump start" kit? 

There are small lithium Battery "jump start packs" available that will crank over a diesel engine, but we shouldn't need anything that fancy. The moment the computers are running and the relays switch ("Ready" light on), the big hybrid Battery starts charging the 12v. The "Jumper" only has to boot the computers and power the relays (and the hard bit, pump up the hydraulics - but its still nothing like the strain of cranking over a conventional car's engine. 

I'm thinking that a small 12v battery intended for a motorcycle (or even a burglar alarm) and a couple of slim cables should do the job. 

Or has anyone actually managed to reboot a hybrid from a handful of AA Duracells? 

Because a flat 12v battery prevents tha Auris' hatch opening (making access to the battery hard), Toyota nicely provide a simple accessible "Jump Start Point" under the bonnet. Its something we should all be aware of, and maybe something we should be ready to use rather than wait for a patrolman to rescue us? 

I have a Suaoki U3 compact Battery with car leads, currently on Amazon for £39.99. Can be used directly across the Battery in the Auris boot (and Gen3 Prius) or across the Jump Start Point under the bonnet. Charges up using standard Android phone cable, has inbuilt torch that also flashes SOS, and can charge a mobile phone. Fits in trouser/jacket.

I keep it in the pouch behind drivers seat, handy there, accessible if 12v Battery is flat, use key to open driver door, reach over seat, open bonnet, access to jump start point. 
Interesting that Toyota have fitted the 12v battery under the bonnet in Gen4 Prius.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links