Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Statistic for EV mode time in %?

OXYGEN

Hello,

In different Prius and CH-R forums/threads I am reading that somewhere in the infotainment system there is info for how much of the time the car was in EV. Based on what I've read, it should be something like "70% of the trip in EV".

Do we have this in the Corolla? So far I could not get such screen/data/reading. 

Not in the infotainment system, not in the Prius anyway. It’s on the main screen, and the scroll through is via steering wheel controls. Hope that helps.

And 70% would have to be for favourable conditions. Now coming winter I would expect it to fall to 50% or less, but during the summer some trips could be over 70%. Not something I look at daily or even weekly, but interesting.

Thank you. 
Well, then it seems that the Corolla for some reason is missing this useful information 😞

When I scroll the data in the main screen, there are only two possible - the current/average speed and the eco trainer/statistics for acceleration, stopping, gliding.

I don't see it as being a useful statistic - except for the dedicated and bored who are repeating exactly the same route day after day and competing only against themselves on that specific route (and even then, traffic and weather will be a major variation). I don't believe the cars datalog this data. 

A motorway run at over 50mph would have a small EV %, regardless of the driver in my Auris hybrid. 

Whereas a downhill urban (stop/start) run on a warm day with a warmed-up car could approach 100% EV for a couple of miles. 

Driving so as to "keep the green light on as much as possible" is the start of driving a hybrid for economy, but external factors are likely to limit what is possible. 

I'm pretty sure only Prius have this info available to display by the user (I think others do via the Techstream etc.) - I can't remember if the Gen 3 had it (I don't think it did) but my Gen 4 certainly did.

It was interesting to see and even on longer, higher speed trips it would be in the 20%-30% range.  During the 3 years/39,000 miles I had my Gen 4 it averaged 42% EV, with a best over a tankful of 56%.

I wish I could see this info for my RAV4 - I suspect it will be nowhere near as good as the Prius, because the Hybrid system has to drag the brick-shaped RAV through the air which is likely much harder than doing os for the wedge-shaped Prius.  It's very noticeable that on the straight and level the green EV light comes on less frequently than it did in the Prius, and only does so up to about 48 mph, whereas I often saw the symbol light up at up to 60 mph (albeit briefly) in the Prius.  This only happens at the higher speed in the RAV when decelerating or going downhill.

There's also some debate as to whether forcing the car into EV mode at every opportunity is a good idea or whether it's generally better to let the car decide when EV is appropriate. The debate arises from the fact that charging the Battery is never 100% efficient. The theory goes that running the engine to charge the Battery just to then use the battery to drive the wheels might be less efficient than just letting the engine drive the wheels in the first place. It's a complicated debate though because under some circumstances the extra load on the engine from charging the Battery might move it into a better part of the power curve meaning that it can run so much more efficiently that it offsets the losses incurred in charging.

I don't think anyone has ever confirmed or refuted this.

For my part I'm willing to get the car into EV mode if I know I'm approaching a low power situation (eg; slowing on the approach to the 30 zone or as I approach the brow of a long hill) thereby making the car do it a bit earlier than it would otherwise. But I don't normally force the car into EV mode while travelling on a flat section of road at high speed.

• Like 1

For the most part, letting the car handle everything is indeed a good choice.

Where EV mode can come into it's own is where the driver can do something the car can't (yet!) - see into the near future.  Sometimes starting up the engine for only a few seconds is inefficient.  Some examples (for me) are:

• moving in a confined parking area to let someone else move their vehcile
  • doing the first ¼ mile on a cold engine then stopping for a while (at the village shop/cash point) before doing a much longer drive
  • where the first half mile of a journey on a cold start is stop-start, then a continuous cruise at 40, 50, 60 mph or more when the engine can run continuously whilst also driving the car*
  • between a series of road humps where it's prudent (due to following traffic) to accelerate just hard enough where the engine would keeping starting (if EV mode not selected) just before lifting off to brake for the next one

* one thing that still mesmerises me is the way in cold weather, when the engine first starts, the car runs on electricity alone even though the engine is running until it has finished a key part of it's warm-up cycle.  It's as if the engine has been disconnected from the Hybrid system during this time, although very heavy acceleration will snap it out of it and bring the engine back into play.

A Toyota insider once told me (in the days of the Gen 1 & 2 Prius) that allowing the engine to finish it's warm-up cycle before starting to drive would repay in overall better mpg (and emissions) unless the journey was going to be very short.  I've no idea how true this was, if even if it was then, whether after much development of the Hybrid software it's still true today.

• Like 1

It's probably all very dependant on the journey. For instance the engine coming on to heat the cabin sounds wasteful but presumably it uses that opportunity to charge the Battery. This could lead to more charge being available later in the journey where it could be a useful bonus. I've noticed that I seem to have a bit more charge at one point of my journey home than I did a month ago and can now go back to using the Battery on a very gentle decline that I couldn't in October.

Conversely though there's another stretch of road approaching my estate where I can no longer drift toward a roundabout on Battery. It's not a lack of charge but with the colder weather it seems the electric system just doesn't have enough power any longer. I simply can't maintain 50 mph for the final half a mile unless I let the ICE do it. That's also noticeable going through a small village half way along my route - I now can't maintain 30mph through the first section on the way home. Luckily that's where there's a bad bend so most people will just assume I'm being overly cautious and won't hassle me 🙂

• Like 1

Hi if download the new My Toyota app on your phone or tablet it will give you EV percentage MPG etc plus it also tracks your car on the move plus where your car is parked. If have got the old app on your phone or tablet you will need to uninstall the app then reinstall the app.

Yes, I have the app and I got the update saying now EV mode and hybrid data is available, bit no such thing was visible inside it.

I tried to uninstall and reinstall as advised , but nothing has changed.

Looking at the screenshots in AppStore, there should be Battery health, Hybrid score. EV and non-ev mode should be presented in the trip breadcrumb on the map. What I can see instead is speeding not speeding sections of the breadcrumb. And it is not working as it always shows the whole trip not speeding 🙂

I have noticed the car warms up a lot quicker and clears ice from my windows far quicker than my previous diesel skoda octavia 

So even though the toyota uses the petrol engine for its warm up cycle this is a lot quicker than the diesel engines and has got to be a saving 

2 hours ago, Cbatoday said:

I have noticed the car warms up a lot quicker and clears ice from my windows far quicker than my previous diesel skoda octavia 

So even though the toyota uses the petrol engine for its warm up cycle this is a lot quicker than the diesel engines and has got to be a saving 

Diesels are very thermally efficient, so they are much slower than (thermally inefficient) petrol engines to warm up.  And as I'm finding the MY19 Corolla a bugger in terms of condensation and clearing, I'm glad I never had a diesel Octavia!

11 hours ago, OXYGEN said:

Yes, I have the app and I got the update saying now EV mode and hybrid data is available, bit no such thing was visible inside it.

I tried to uninstall and reinstall as advised , but nothing has changed.

Looking at the screenshots in AppStore, there should be battery health, Hybrid score. EV and non-ev mode should be presented in the trip breadcrumb on the map. What I can see instead is speeding not speeding sections of the breadcrumb. And it is not working as it always shows the whole trip not speeding 🙂

Hmm, in my MyToyota app (iPhone) the scores are right at the top of the home page, Monthly Hybrid Score, Find My Car, and Monthly EV Time are the three icons in the top 1/3 of the screen.  And the bottom 2/3 are the last journey, showing EV sections. Can't see an app version number anywhere. Have you turned Privacy off?

1 hour ago, rafletcher said:

Diesels are very thermally efficient, so they are much slower than (thermally inefficient) petrol engines to warm up.  And as I'm finding the MY19 Corolla a bugger in terms of condensation and clearing, I'm glad I never had a diesel Octavia!

When a Toyota Hybrid goes through the  warm-up process, one of the reasons it's excluded from providing motive power (to any extent) is that the timing is heavily modified to produce a lot of heat, during which time it is very inefficient at providing motive power.

My RAV is the first Hybrid I've owned with an old fashioned temperature gauge and even knowing this I'm surprised how rapidly it reaches 'normal' temperature.

• Like 2

The new My T app gives you hybrid ev percentage  MPG average speed and distance etc

20191119_120425.jpg

2 hours ago, rafletcher said:

Hmm, in my MyToyota app (iPhone) the scores are right at the top of the home page, Monthly Hybrid Score, Find My Car, and Monthly EV Time are the three icons in the top 1/3 of the screen.  And the bottom 2/3 are the last journey, showing EV sections. Can't see an app version number anywhere. Have you turned Privacy off?

Very strange.

I have even tried the Android latest version on an old phone- exactly the same.

Here is how it looks for my car:

825750DB-E825-4723-8240-C33A416BAA79.png

BEB873F0-6BAF-480F-AFA4-17E536D2E699.png

9C004E8F-C6F7-4097-AA27-D70AB58003D7.png

Hi guys,

I've not been successful in registring my infotainment system at MyT app. I have the version without navigation and although bluetooth works flawlessly, I just can't connect to the internet either via bluetooth or usb cable or establish the wi-fi connection.

On the other hand, I find that:

1. The car heats up very fast, although being the most thermal efficent car I ever drove
  2. The car manages the electric power VERY efficiently, namely, using heating time and keeping the engine revs downhill to feed the batteries, using Battery stored energy first when accelerating

It's pretty much useless to know how much time we ran on EV mode, by the end of the day what really is importante is general average mpg. And that, without making any big effort, it's quite good.

This the home page on the My Toyota app which i downloaded this weekend the app you have is the old

My Toyota  app 20191119_125817.thumb.jpg.d405abbe1cd9f0326cefdfa37eb6479d.jpg

3 hours ago, rafletcher said:

That's interesting I'm actually very pleased with the condensation handling abilities. I am running with climate control set to 19c and recirculate. It's way better than my Hondas - I used to have to direct the airflow to the windscreen during the winter to stop it misting up even with outside air coming in.

For demisting you can't set it to recirculate as well (if you choose front demisting override), it won't allow it, like most modern systems.  I guess I could just set it to recirculate and alter the distribution to see if that improves matters - after all warm air holds more moisture than cold air.

1 hour ago, Leo63 said:

This the home page on the My Toyota app which i downloaded this weekend the app you have is the old

My Toyota  app 20191119_125817.thumb.jpg.d405abbe1cd9f0326cefdfa37eb6479d.jpg

Well, there is definitely something completely strange going on with their iPhone app...

According to my settings, I have version 3.3.10. And according to the version history in AppStore, the EV range, hybrid statistics, etc. were introduced two versions back...And I still can't see them in the latest one.

Weird.

1 hour ago, rafletcher said:

For demisting you can't set it to recirculate as well (if you choose front demisting override), it won't allow it, like most modern systems.  I guess I could just set it to recirculate and alter the distribution to see if that improves matters - after all warm air holds more moisture than cold air.

Agreed. However what I was saying was that so far I'm doing fine driving around on recirculate as I was during summer. So far I've not had to change anything. Tonight will probably be the exception since I assume my windscreen will be misted up for the first time.

Ah, we've had some quite cold nights - this morning was the 4th or 5th frost I've had to scrape!

Turned out not to be a problem after all. The mornings aren't a problem because I keep the car in the garage.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links