Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Life expectancy of Aygo shock absorbers?

Hal Mercier

Maybe I should start a poll?

Any responses on at what mileage it became necessary to replace them?

How long is a piece of string?

They should be replaced when they leak, no need to replace any sooner :thumbsup:

Just that the car I am checking tomorrow had them all replaced earlier this year, and has done 130K km. I find Japanese oe shocks usually last longer than this....on Subaru, certainly

Strangely, on lighter cars they seem to go earlier.

The aygo is built at the TPCA factory in the Czech Republic along with the C1 and Peugeot what are basically the same so there isn't much Japanese in it

as for parts like shocks, its likely manufactured else where in Europe but more likely China or Taiwan

Well if the shocks have been replaced it shows that it's been looked after or it had it done for the inspection (control technique ? in france)

A quick look shows the aygo uses KYB shocks, KYB has a large Czech Plant

Thanks. I knew they are all built in Czech Republic, but presumably the Toyota/Citroen/peugeot group had some oversight in the build specs, for whatever it's worth!

Next question, in my ferreting around recently I heard that the engine used on these cars was  designed by Isuzu, in the same way that the fabulous Aprilia Mille V twin 'bike engine was designed and built by Rotax in Austria.

Is there any truth in the Isuzu story?

All 3 use 1KR-FE what is a Toyota engine produced by Daihatsu - the dirty diesel may have been Isuzu but more than likely PSA

So....do you mean it's in reality  a Toyota design built by Daihatsu?

The KR series engine was designed by Daihatsu (which is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Toyota).

It is/has been used in a number of Daihatsu and Toyota models - eg. Daihatsu Boon/Sirion/Toyota Passo/Subaru Justy/Perodua Myvi, Toyota IQ, Toyota Vitz/Yaris, Toyota Aygo/Citroen C1/Peugeot 107/108, Toyota Wigo, etc.

The KR engines for the Aygo/C1/107/108 and French built Yaris are produced by Toyota Poland.

As regards TCPA (the Toyota/PSA Joint Venture) plant in the Czech Republic, Toyota announced last year it was buying out the PSA shares, and will be wholly owned by Toyota by January 2021.

Thanks Frosty, that sounds definitive enough for me. My wife's been running a seriously beat-up looking grey-market Daihatsu Gran Move "The Granny", which if less than distinguished, was a real trooper. It was still going strong at the end, mysteriously started dissappearing engine oil....no smoke or mayonnaise so really, no idea how.

Then it started making an awful yowling noise on startup. After we had a closer look, it seemed that the core, the armature, of the alternator had decided to re-dimension itself, and was rubbing on the static magnets....again, totally mystifying.

Tried to get another alternator but the correct size appeared to be unfindable.

So, valiant as ever, it is now waiting for the Reaper....poor Granny.

Just to say we were very happy with it's willingness to keep going (apart from the above).

Seems the boxy Granny is popular in Japan for customising....