Sign in to follow this  
Simon333

a/c not working?

Recommended Posts

have only had my yaris 2008 for four days it has manual a/c , so i thought id try it out on the way home,, i pressed the a/c button expecting it to light up but it didnt and no icons appear on the dash,  do i have a problem?.  thanks in advance .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the switch have a light in it, is it supposed to illuminate when switched on?

If so that doesn't mean that the A/C isn't working, it means the light in the switch isn't working. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It could be that it needs a re-gas or service (fingers crossed).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, stantheman1 said:

It could be that it needs a re-gas or service (fingers crossed).

Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Simon333 said:

Thanks 

You're welcome, feel free to hit the thanks button instead. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stivino said:

Does the switch have a light in it, is it supposed to illuminate when switched on?

If so that doesn't mean that the A/C isn't working, it means the light in the switch isn't working. 

How  would  I  know  if  it's  working. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Set it to cold and feel for the chilled air.

Listen for a change in the engine tone.

Look at the compressor and see if you can see it engaging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine has no gas pressure in the system, it had been deteriorating up to the point it no longer engaged the compressor clutch any more when the switch on the dash was pressed. However, the green led light in the switch still comes on when the switch is pressed, although the system does not engage the compressor.

I found that if the fan blower is set to OFF, even if the a/c switch is pressed in, the light does not come on. You have to have the fan blower going for the a/c switch to light up.

Its common for older cars with a/c to have the a/c lose its gas, as seals dry out and the gas leaks away. Also, the condenser radiator in front of the main engine radiator can get punctured by road debris and this will make the system lose its gas.

Having an a/c service will not automatically fix the a/c if there is a leak, which the machine at the garage checks for before it will admit a fresh charge of gas to the system. Its expensive to repair a/c if its faulty, and a re-gas may not last longer than a year before needing doing again, so unless you use the a/c a lot, it may not be worth the expense of re-gassing the system or having it repaired if its leaking.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could it just be a fuse?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully .thanks 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Stevie J said:

Mine has no gas pressure in the system, it had been deteriorating up to the point it no longer engaged the compressor clutch any more when the switch on the dash was pressed. However, the green led light in the switch still comes on when the switch is pressed, although the system does not engage the compressor.

I found that if the fan blower is set to OFF, even if the a/c switch is pressed in, the light does not come on. You have to have the fan blower going for the a/c switch to light up.

Its common for older cars with a/c to have the a/c lose its gas, as seals dry out and the gas leaks away. Also, the condenser radiator in front of the main engine radiator can get punctured by road debris and this will make the system lose its gas.

Having an a/c service will not automatically fix the a/c if there is a leak, which the machine at the garage checks for before it will admit a fresh charge of gas to the system. Its expensive to repair a/c if its faulty, and a re-gas may not last longer than a year before needing doing again, so unless you use the a/c a lot, it may not be worth the expense of re-gassing the system or having it repaired if its leaking.

didnt have fan on. yours was the best answer. thank you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this