Do Not Sell My Personal Information

a/c not working?

Simon333

have only had my yaris 2008 for four days it has manual a/c , so i thought id try it out on the way home,, i pressed the a/c button expecting it to light up but it didnt and no icons appear on the dash,  do i have a problem?.  thanks in advance .

Does the switch have a light in it, is it supposed to illuminate when switched on?

If so that doesn't mean that the A/C isn't working, it means the light in the switch isn't working. 

3 minutes ago, stantheman1 said:

It could be that it needs a re-gas or service (fingers crossed).

Thanks 

1 minute ago, Simon333 said:

Thanks 

You're welcome, feel free to hit the thanks button instead. 🙂

2 hours ago, Stivino said:

Does the switch have a light in it, is it supposed to illuminate when switched on?

If so that doesn't mean that the A/C isn't working, it means the light in the switch isn't working. 

How  would  I  know  if  it's  working. 

Set it to cold and feel for the chilled air.

Listen for a change in the engine tone.

Look at the compressor and see if you can see it engaging.

Mine has no gas pressure in the system, it had been deteriorating up to the point it no longer engaged the compressor clutch any more when the switch on the dash was pressed. However, the green led light in the switch still comes on when the switch is pressed, although the system does not engage the compressor.

I found that if the fan blower is set to OFF, even if the a/c switch is pressed in, the light does not come on. You have to have the fan blower going for the a/c switch to light up.

Its common for older cars with a/c to have the a/c lose its gas, as seals dry out and the gas leaks away. Also, the condenser radiator in front of the main engine radiator can get punctured by road debris and this will make the system lose its gas.

Having an a/c service will not automatically fix the a/c if there is a leak, which the machine at the garage checks for before it will admit a fresh charge of gas to the system. Its expensive to repair a/c if its faulty, and a re-gas may not last longer than a year before needing doing again, so unless you use the a/c a lot, it may not be worth the expense of re-gassing the system or having it repaired if its leaking.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Stevie J said:

Mine has no gas pressure in the system, it had been deteriorating up to the point it no longer engaged the compressor clutch any more when the switch on the dash was pressed. However, the green led light in the switch still comes on when the switch is pressed, although the system does not engage the compressor.

I found that if the fan blower is set to OFF, even if the a/c switch is pressed in, the light does not come on. You have to have the fan blower going for the a/c switch to light up.

Its common for older cars with a/c to have the a/c lose its gas, as seals dry out and the gas leaks away. Also, the condenser radiator in front of the main engine radiator can get punctured by road debris and this will make the system lose its gas.

Having an a/c service will not automatically fix the a/c if there is a leak, which the machine at the garage checks for before it will admit a fresh charge of gas to the system. Its expensive to repair a/c if its faulty, and a re-gas may not last longer than a year before needing doing again, so unless you use the a/c a lot, it may not be worth the expense of re-gassing the system or having it repaired if its leaking.

didnt have fan on. yours was the best answer. thank you.

• Like 1