Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whining noise

Dazzar1971

I keep getting this noise I have attached a recording. It used to only happen when turning right but happens at any time now whatever gear I am in, speed I am going and direction I am turning. It used to come and go but happens most of the time now. Can anybody listen to the mp4 and tell me what it could be?

Does the sound change if you rev the car, or is the volume constant?

Does the speed influence it in any way?

Did it start with colder weather only?

No the sound doesn’t change with the amount of revs you give the car. Speed doesn’t influence it in any way. It seems indiscriminate the sound it just does it randomly. Cold doesn’t change the sound happening.

Thanks for helping.

Darren

Seems like something is dragging, maybe the brakes? Does not really explain it happening only when turning left/right.

Any idea from which side of the car it's coming from?

It still only happens when turning, not when driving straight, or slowing down, going over speed bumps, potholes etc?

That does sound like something "rubbing" to me. I know this is way off the mark and totally irrelevant but it sounds like the noise sometimes heard when brakes on a pushbike are being applied.

The car was from a seaside town so had accumulated a lot of rust on the underside. The rust being scraped off and a change of brake pads solved the problem.

Thanks everyone 

Darren

Other Auris owners have reported brake pipe corrosion problems at MoT time from the cars of this period.  If your car has suffered more corrosion than average, it might be worth getting the brake pipe run that sits behind the fuel tank checked.  It'll be a lot easier to deal with it before it fails the MoT etc.

• Like 1