Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Am I stuck with 13" rims?

donkeychomp

My steel wheels (13") are manky as hell. Trying to find new or used alloys that size is seemingly impossible. Can I fit 14" wheels? I know I'll lose a bit of acceleration...but it doesn't exactly scream away from the traffic lights!

My understanding would actually be that you have the wrong wheels fitted currently.I thought that all Yari of this vintage had 14" rims as a minimum, so not aware that 13" rims were ever fitted. Await to be corrected on this point, though, if I am misinformed.

14" was standard. No 13" option.

Wrong wheels  or tyres.

Check wheel diameter..

They seem really small, I think they come in 14"-15"-16" and 17" flavors.

Alan

They did do 13" wheels, on the Jap built base models, they cost £60 each plus VAT, you would probably be better off getting a decent set of 14" second hand and put those on, new alloys will be more expensive than £60 each

Can fit 14's or 15's without a problem as those are original sizes 

It's a 2003 vvti 1.0 litre and yes the wheels are very small. A friend has a 2008 one with 15" wheels so I'll do a test swap just to make sure they fit ok. I do think they are the original wheels as when I got the car it had some very tatty but genuine Toyota wheel trims on it.

Thanks for the replies everyone 😀

Check the difference in circumference before you make any decision. This calculator may help:

https://www.carbibles.com/calculators/

You'll also need to consider PCD (Pitch Circle Diameter, the diameter of the centre radius of the fixing holes), offset (the difference between the fixing holes and the edges of the rim) and the CB (Centre Bore - the diameter of the hole in the centre of the wheel).

13 hours ago, donkeychomp said:

It's a 2003 vvti 1.0 litre and yes the wheels are very small. A friend has a 2008 one with 15" wheels so I'll do a test swap just to make sure they fit ok. I do think they are the original wheels as when I got the car it had some very tatty but genuine Toyota wheel trims on it.

Thanks for the replies everyone 😀

Indeed sir you are correct ( must be either 'S' or 'T2' model) but I wouldn't jump to 15 inch as not only would it look 'goofy' but your speedo would need re-calibrating as it will reading approx. 5% less than your actual speed. You could get away with 14 inch rims (with 175 x 65 x R14 tyres) as the speed difference would be negligible (0.43%) as all the other models (excl. the SR)  had them fitted as standard, Notwithstanding the insurance company's stance on the matter.

Thanks for the tip. Yes it's a T2, I have to admit the 13" wheels make it look like a roller skate. Time for a change and yes my insurers will be informed!

On 11/23/2019 at 11:22 AM, stantheman1 said:

Indeed sir you are correct ( must be either 'S' or 'T2' model) but I wouldn't jump to 15 inch as not only would it look 'goofy' but your speedo would need re-calibrating as it will reading approx. 5% less than your actual speed. You could get away with 14 inch rims (with 175 x 65 x R14 tyres) as the speed difference would be negligible (0.43%) as all the other models (excl. the SR)  had them fitted as standard, Notwithstanding the insurance company's stance on the matter.

Using tyres with a lower profile to get the overall diameter of rim and tyre to be the same as before will eliminate this. I went from 155/80/R13 to 185/60/R14 and there's minimal difference. Same if you went to use 195/50/R15 (I know these were never standard fitment on a Yaris but you can get 4x100 PCD wheels that'll fit a yaris with correct offset).

Cheers! Another set to keep an eye out for.

So I'm using wheels that originally came from my mk1 MX5 (see these for a similar set: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-MX5-MK2-Set-of-4-Alloys-wheels-tyres/133245792957?hash=item1f061172bd:g:flgAAOSwxKFd1QF8). I just changed the centre caps from Mazda to blank caps and bolted them on.

My 2003 D4-D S does indeed run on 13” rims with 155/80 R13 tyres. I bought a new set steel rims in 2013 from Mr T for £28 each to put my summer tyres on (I had winter tyres on the originals). Every tyre seller takes my registration number and suggests that I need 175/65 R14 which is the size for the rest of the range. I do call my car The Little Red Roller Skate!

MX5 wheels bolt straight on? Interesting....

Interestingly, the PCD, centre bore and offset are the same:

Mazda MX5   4 x 100 35...42  54
Yaris 98> 4x100 35 - 42  54.1

Cheers Bob! Lots more of those about but none nearby. I will bide my time...something will crop up

14 hours ago, MRichards said:

So I'm using wheels that originally came from my mk1 MX5 (see these for a similar set: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-MX5-MK2-Set-of-4-Alloys-wheels-tyres/133245792957?hash=item1f061172bd:g:flgAAOSwxKFd1QF8). I just changed the centre caps from Mazda to blank caps and bolted them on.

Clearly a devious ploy by Mazda knowing that an MX5 would gain some much-needed  je ne sais quoi when booted with a set of Yaris steelies. 😠

• 3 months later...

Right. After quite some time I have sourced a set of MK1 Mazda MX5 alloys...a whopping £80 with tyres! Good deal I say. Not too far away but a mate lives there so he picked them up for me today. Thing is I will need new wheel nuts, so do I plump for Mazda ones or Toyota ones?

Wheel nuts - Mk1 Mazda MX 5 wheels...... Mk 1 Mazda MX 5 nuts.    You know then that the chamfer on the nuts will seat perfectly with chamfer on the wheel.  

If they are actually chamfered in way of the bolt/stud?

All the car's I've owned, with alloy wheels, various marques, have had flat landing surfaces for the wheel bolts or nuts. Plus a flat steel washer

Well, there we are Peter, its been so long since I took a wheel off any car. Always used to be messing about with my car, just cant be bothered these days (at 72)

are they even the same thread, do the Mazda alloys have a large enough center bore (yep)

there are a few types of bolt/nut combo, not seen alloy with a flat washer in some time tbh, thay are usually chamfered nuts on alloys to allow for centering

edit, Ah the early yaris uses collared, flat seat nuts