Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Verso (automatic) MPV 2016 - Boot/Trunk Jammed shut.

Roy5085

Hi everyone,

Hopefully you can help & advise.

Something has been caught in the boot and it is jammed closed.

Remote key won't open it. I got inside but cannot see any panels that may have a manual unlock or something that may allow me to reopen the lid.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

Roy

• Like 1

Welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Moved to the Verso club.

• Like 1

Maybe try pushing it down hard while someone tries to unlock/unlatch it? Sort of keep bumping it down while pressing the open button just at the right time if you get me.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay.

2 hours ago, threepot said:

Maybe try pushing it down hard while someone tries to unlock/unlatch it? Sort of keep bumping it down while pressing the open button just at the right time if you get me.

1 hour ago, furtula said:

Do you hear the lock working at all, what kind of sounds does it make, or is it dead completely?

Owners manual, page 599

https://d24bc9lyrt5en5.cloudfront.net/Customer-Portal-Admin/emanuals/TOYOTA/OM64590E.pdf

image.thumb.png.05b7e90aa91f306cb6722cacd48fe61c.png

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tried the bumpering but sadly it didn't work.

The key has: close, boot & open. 

Close: All doors lock with sound (can't hear the boot locking) 1 indicator flash

Boot: No locking sound with 2 indicator flashes

Open: Doors sound unlock & 2 indicator flashes - no locking sound on boot.

I will try to take off the inside cover.

Wish me luck...going in now...🙂

Roy

2 hours ago, furtula said:

Do you hear the lock working at all, what kind of sounds does it make, or is it dead completely?

Owners manual, page 599

https://d24bc9lyrt5en5.cloudfront.net/Customer-Portal-Admin/emanuals/TOYOTA/OM64590E.pdf

image.thumb.png.05b7e90aa91f306cb6722cacd48fe61c.png

Spot on. 

Small cover exactly in the diagram.

Slid open without any problem. There was some duct tape caught between in the top gap (from other work I was doing) and removed of course.

However, it seems it may be electrical as will not open again without going through the same process.

This is probably why I can't hear any open/shutting sound at the boot.

On the top there is a cover housing leads and two white multi connectors which seem to look ok but who knows. 

Any micro-switches or such that would need changing? 

I am just a simpleton and open for any inexpensive suggestions?

Thank you all again.

Roy

20191124_093457.jpg

Well there is just one fuse, so i guess we can skip that...

Get a multimeter, set to 20V DC.

Black to ground, red to pins, try locking/unlocking, see if there is current coming to the lock, power wire should be red, but check all the wires to be safe.

-Is there power spike when you press the button? Yes > Replace the lock

-Is there power spike when you press the button? No? Get an electrical diagram, 3 euros for 1 hour payable access on toyota-tech, should be enough.

Here is the 2016 Avensis  EWD which is somehow publicly available, so we can use it as an example, so to the back door switch as shown below to see the schematics, i'm guessing it's the same.

I can't really read this that much, but TR+ going from the main body ECU should be short for Trigger +, meaning car is triggered to send + to the lock to operate it.

https://www.toyota-tech.eu/td/td3ewd/pgm/standaloneEWD.html?pubNo=EM25G4E_v1;ewd_type=top;ewd=TOP001;term=201610;vwlang=EN;ewdpath=/td3ewd

image.thumb.png.d5c39f68fe16661347d983d69a3ac612.png

• Thanks 1

My thinking was you would revert with "flick this switch, Roy and all will be well'. Sheesh!

You are great and thank you. I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers.

Roy

If the boot is used alot, like a courier or taxi or something, or some rogue has replaced the boot lid due to crash repair etc, then the common thing is to break a wire in the rubber gator bit near the hinges. Quick and simple thing to check if you are the sort of person who doesn't get along with a multimeter and wiring diagram.

Also my verso has no rear lock on the boot as such, just an electric release button over the number plate. The boot does not really lock as such, so you will not hear it lock or unlock. Simply the electric release button is disabled when the vehicle is locked.

For testing purposes, you can artificially latch it by shoving a screw driving shaft etc into the locking mechanism. That way to work out what is or isn't working you don't have to keep climbing into the boot of the car!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links