Peter2673

Catalytic converters stolen

When SWMBO had her Gen 2 one stolen we didn't even bother with insurance, her excess is £250 and the subsequent probable rise in premiums for the next 3-5 years makes it not worthwhile claiming. The replacement CAT cost her £800 fitted and warranted, at the dealers. It was an aftermarket CAT they sourced, not a Toyota one, so no waiting for parts, it was back on the road the next day. I can understand why they upped the premium David, two claims for the same thing means you're a high risk, but the amount they increased it by is ridiculous.  Insurance is a big rip off these days, if you claim they claw it back with ridiculous increases in premiums.

I'd seriously consider removing CAT myself and putting a straight pipe, refit for MOT..

If your government is too lazy to fix the problem, which does not exist in EU states.

We have laws here which says mandatory ID check and they write down your info, cameras on places where they weigh the scrap metal, etc, due to this, cat stealing gangs are long gone.

If country is too lazy to help it's citizens, why must one spend extra money for a catloc and fitting, only to have it stolen, so to pay more money for a new one and a higher premium if you involve insurance which likes to take money, but never to give.

That's so absurd..

• Like 1

There is legislation in place to prevent the illegal sales of precious metals to scrap metal merchants, etc. However, due to budget cuts and so on, the required checks on scrap metal merchants aren't being done by Local Authorities. There is also an illegal export trade in these metals,which provides another avenue for stolen cats to be disposed of. 

Had Catloc fitted to our Gen 4 Prius today. 

Dealer receptionist told me 13 Prius cars had catalytic convertors stolen recently. These cars were parked in a High Wycombe car park. Aylesbury super markets and hospital car parks had also been hit by the roaming gangs. Police do not appear to be doing much about these thefts. The thieves do not care about damage they cause in the jacking up process. 

Friend of mine in the motor trade recently had one stolen off a Prius on his forecourt. Forecourt was floodlit and he has full colour HD cctv of the theft.  Police say not much chance of catching the culprits!  Seems like the give out a crime number and give up...

Obviously his insurance (already sky high) will increase further if he makes a claim.

• Sad 1

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 7:26 PM, Chris Dance said:

Dealer receptionist told me 13 Prius cars had catalytic convertors stolen recently. These cars were parked in a High Wycombe car park. Aylesbury super markets and hospital car parks had also been hit by the roaming gangs.

What Prius generation? All 13 are Prius 4s?

A police flyer advise to park front first into a space so it is harder for thieves to access.

The receptionist at the dealers did not specify which Mks of Prius the cars were. She did say the cars which had the convertors stolen were all supplied by them. Prius 4s have been targeted that is why I had a Catloc fitted. I do try and park front first whenever I can. This crime is now a major problem.

On 12/3/2019 at 8:22 PM, mrfixer said:

Forecourt was floodlit and he has full colour HD cctv of the theft.  Police say not much chance of catching the culprits!

From the videos I've seen published (including some on here) the culprits always have their faces covered and use cars that are either stolen or at least have false number plates.  The thieves don't seem at all bothered about being filmed, and at 55 sec on the video in the link below one seems to thank the people they held up while blocking the road to do their dastardly deed!  For this reason, I'm not convince alarms will deter them much either.

1 hour ago, Chris Dance said:

This crime is now a major problem.

It is for owners of certain makes - Toyota, Honda, etc - although no more of a problem that numbers of owners of Corsas and Fiestas have had, who have had their front ends stolen (wings, bonnet, bumper and valance) when parked on the street or on drives - 

imgID152282595.jpg.gallery.jpg

There two options first claim will be free. Check first with insurance company. You will pay excess. Depending your insurance history. Or if gen 2 it will cost you around £700. Buying bits and pieces. Put aftermarket cat on gen 2 and put oxygen senor and lambda sensor original Toyota. The car will work and the thieves will not touch your car again. 

44 minutes ago, Jedi knight said:

There two options first claim will be free. Check first with insurance company. You will pay excess.

Not quite accurate. Depending on your insurer and history, any claim whether first or otherwise, may result in your premium being increased at next renewal, and, of course, if you pay an excess, that isn't free.