Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Noisy doors?

Hal Mercier

I live a bit off the beaten track in rural France, and was a bit surprised by the level of noise generated by the Aygosaurus doors. On anything but a near perfect surface (rare off the main roads) they would squeak and click, not exactly rattle, there didn't seem to be any overt play in hinges or catches.

It's disproportionally irritating, so I thought I'd try and remedy it today.

First, I was pretty sure what was happening was that the rubber door seal was 'picking up' on the paint of the door itself, so that when the door jiggles even minutely up and down, at the trailing edge, the sound of the rubber breaking and making it's hysterisis bond with the door causes this squeaking.

Solution is cheap and simple....simply apply some talc! I didn't even bother pulling the trim off the Shell, just spread some talc on a tissue and lightly wiped it onto the contacting surface.

Second, I used copper grease on the contact points of the body mounted 'staple' which the lock clicks onto. It's easy to see the contact area as it's rubbed shiny.

I did the same on the tail hatch.

No need to slather it on, just enough to grease the contact zones.

The result is I'd say astounding....a 95% improvement! Like driving a Lexus!

I also noticed an irritating 'tizz' at some rev point from the plastic sheath that the seatbelt pulls back into.

The best way to deal with this involves a special tacky bodyshop product, which you roll into a ball and because it stays tacky and won't harden like glue, when you push the plastic back, and compress the ball slightly, it's prevented from tizzing.

Just need to find some. Chewing-gum won't do as it dries out and goes hard and non-sticky.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links