Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cannot find starter motor!?!

Philippa

Hello, my little Yaris won't start and I suspect the starter motor. Fast clicking sound when I turn the key, I was told that could be starter brushes gone, the lights work so I don't think it's the Battery....but I can't find the starter motor! It is a 1ltr model.....can anyone help? I'm working blind here, most diagrams relate to the bigger engines. Thank you for your time

Hi,

In the absence of any other answers, if you are still suffering this (18 hours later), then read this similar thread (about an Auris).

This owner said their lights didn't dim when starting the engine, so the Battery was judged good.  But actually it wasn't......

It may be of help:

I am not familiar with the starter motor location on a Yaris 1.0, and I think the engine may have changed slightly in 2008.  But, at a guess, I would look (when standing in front of the car) at the r/h side of the engine, quite low down, probably behind the engine block.  Following any extra-thick cables in that area might help lead you to it.  It is very likely to be hidden by the large, hard, black plastic inlet plumbing that sits above it. 

19 hours ago, Philippa said:

Hello, my little Yaris won't start and I suspect the starter motor. Fast clicking sound when I turn the key, I was told that could be starter brushes gone, the lights work so I don't think it's the battery....but I can't find the starter motor! It is a 1ltr model.....can anyone help? I'm working blind here, most diagrams relate to the bigger engines. Thank you for your time

That's not really a test... You need to measure your Battery with a multimeter or similar tool. Or ask someone to jump start you, that way if it's the starter, you will know straight away, without wasting money on testing the Battery, or getting a new one.

Or you could wait until the hottest time of the day, and try to start the engine there, you might get lucky.

I once had same problem trying to start during the morning at around 2-3C, and foggy, but during the day it was like 15 and sunny, struggled a bit, but started, went straight to the shop to get a new Battery.

"Fast clicking sound when I turn the key" is the starter motor relay failing to enage properly.

Caused by: (in order of lowest cost)

faulty earth- clean and remake.

or

Low Battery voltage - check with a voltmeter.

Try charging Battery . Or replacing

Or faulty starter motor..

But until you test the baove and PROVE they are OK.. unlikely.

If the Battery is more than 6 years old it is likely FUBAR

The chance that the starter motor has failed, although not impossible, is unlikely. The Battery and its connections are the most common reasons for the fault as you describe. It doesn't need much of a drop in its power to cause a starting problem so deal with this first. Get someone who knows what they are doing to attempt a jumpstart.

The clicking sound is the starter mechanism engaging but not having enough power to turn the engine over.

• 1 year later...

well my yaris would not start, got a new Battery, still no joy. finally bashed the starter motor with a lump hammer and it started.
obviously the starter motor is nearly dead. really good idea to get a multimeter to test the Battery and connecters before

you start replacing parts left right and centre

my symptoms were, when I turned the key, there was maybe 10 second buzz sound, then a click, but no crank

really hard to access the starter motor other wise I would replace it myself. hard to find a garage who will actually do it sigh

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links