Do Not Sell My Personal Information

EPB Query

MikeEH

Hi, I'm in the process of buying a 2010 Avensis Saloon 1.8 V-matic and it's my first car with an EPB. I must say that after reading all the EPB problems on this forum, I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thing - especially as there seems to be many possible car parts involved in finally sorting the problem....and at such a cost! I suppose I'll just have to wait and see.

My prime query is, if, for example, I'm travelling down a steep hill and the brakes fail, there is no handbrake to help to stop the car. Can the EPB be used in a similar fashion as a handbrake in this situation, or will damage occur?

Nikola Tesla allegedly said, "There's technology and there's progress. If the technology doesn't benefit the people, then it's not progress." Handbrake failure - new cables £15 to £25 plus fitting. EPB failure - take out a mortgage! Not progress in my opinion.

• Like 2

Hopefully your car brakes will never fail! laso there are other ways of slowing a car down. I am sure that authorities would have banned or forced companies to make an 'emergency brake' alternative. The parking brakes operate on the rear wheels which not as effective as the fronts. That's why it's called parking brake, not emergency!
You made a valid argument and I agree with points made. I remember posting negative comments about the EPB, when the T27 was first introduced. Back then I thought my next car would be a late 1.8 T25, but when it came to buy replacement for my T22 1.8, there were quite a few T27 at close to the price of a very good condition T25. I actually nearly went to buy a Honda Civic! 
The parking brake unit is actually fairly reliable 🤞, any all the issues I have had, are linked but not the unit itself. I have posted my issues and fixes on this site. 
A couple of tips - avoid deep puddles if you can, and if having any rear brake work, make sure the person doing the work puts everything back correctly. Same goes if clutch is done. There is a sensor for the gearbox that if not connected securely, will flag a fault and disable the auto release. Simple fix of reconnecting and secure the cable to sensor. 

I hope your car is a well cared for example with regular servicing. 

• Like 1

I had abs light /vsc on for ages then finally had a look, imagine my surprise it was an abs plug not connecting properly because the socket had a cracking and the plug couldn't grip. Easily fixed with some super glue then plug in the sensor. Epb/vsc was caused by pads partially seized due to laziness. Fixed by giving each side a good rust free clean, some lubrication and resetting the caliper pots. Press the brakes a couple of times to adjust, apply the epb a few times. Epb light was still on. Remedy: disconnect the Battery for a few minutes then reconnect and as the Epb is nw working correctly the light is off. No lights on the dash! Job done. The car will tell u where the problem is! Fancy that!

• Like 1

Thanks for replies.

My brakes did fail on the 2006 Avensis that I've just sold. On the last but one MOT test, as the rear brakes were being tested on the rollers, the brake pipe burst shooting the car forward unexpectedly. Had to replace all the rear end pipes, so I'm just a tad pessimistic now when it comes to brake pipes!

When I bought the new Avensis, with full service history, it was too dark to really see the underside, and now that I've taken some photos of the U/S I think it'll need some protective work done. I'll be asking for advice in another post.

Thanks again.

My RAV4 is the first car I've owned with EPB, although I've driven a few cars with it for short periods.

According to the manual, in an emergency you can lift and hold the switch and it will slow the car.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2019 at 2:21 PM, MikeEH said:

Thanks for replies.

My brakes did fail on the 2006 Avensis that I've just sold. On the last but one MOT test, as the rear brakes were being tested on the rollers, the brake pipe burst shooting the car forward unexpectedly. Had to replace all the rear end pipes, so I'm just a tad pessimistic now when it comes to brake pipes!

When I bought the new Avensis, with full service history, it was too dark to really see the underside, and now that I've taken some photos of the U/S I think it'll need some protective work done. I'll be asking for advice in another post.

Thanks again.

I've had a brake pipe fail on test as well, on a T25. I basically crimped the pipe over enough to stem the fluid loss, bled the brakes and drive the car home, replaced a section of the pipe and then while out test driving before rebooking the test the other side decided to fail just as l was about to park outside my home. Luckily, just as I was literally stopping, so no accident. If u activate the epb whilst driving u receive a warning telling u to release the parking brake but it will also slow the vehicle down in an emergency and this accompanied by down shifting the gears should bring the vehicle to a satisfactory halt. Obviously  don't just ram it into the lowest gear and lift the clutch, I'm sure the car will do a summersault worthy of straight 10's but not good for the engine. As for the rust. Tis but surface rust, I've seen a lot worse, simple wire brush (brush on rust remedies if desired) and the spray underside with stonechip protection and the car will live to fight another day. Remember to wash off winter salt regularly as salt is the enemy. Food on chips but not on cars.