Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

VSC and ABS failure

Nils

Hi 

I have a 2007 rav4, d2d, where I have got the alarm regarding the vsc and abs. After a search, I thought maybe a sensor or fuse has gone. Checked all the fuses, all fine. Tried to clean all the abs sensors, but no luck.... But, I see that the high braking light has stopped working, could this be the fault? Hate using a lot of norwegian $$$ to drive to Toyota if this could be the fault? My thoughts are that since the light isn`t working, that this will breake a circuit????

My wife had an incident the other day, where she got "stuck", but I can`t imagine that this caused the problem?? I`ve washed the car underneath after this. (the car was not stuck, just pressed the 4x4 and drove forward 🙂 ) 

Any thoughts?

InkedIMG_1746_LI.jpg

Have you tried checking the sensor on the side where she got stuck?

Did you try any diagnostic tools to read the code?

Refer to this manual

http://manualespurdy.cisdigital.com/Toyota/Rav4Aug2009/rm1332e/MANUAL.HTM/rm1332e/index2.html

I tried cleaning both the sensor on the right side, have not had a chance to diagnostic the car... don`t have the tool... but I can`t understand why the sensor should not handle this, it`s just a little bit of mud, over here in Norway they get snow and salt 6 months every year.... 

I was hoping that the faulty rear brake light might be the reason?

Could be the brake switch, true, when you press it, does it not indicate at all that you are braking, or just the middle one?

There was a similar topic with similar issue and it was the brake light switch, so have it checked.

Other than that, i'm affraid you would need to scan for codes, but some decent code readers go even for 20 euros, and it's a good thing to have anyway.

Thanks for the tips Furtula,will check the brake switch!!! When I brake, the lights do not show that I`m braking, thought this maybe was because of the faulty light.

Changed the switch, but this didn’t help. The lights went away yesterday, and today, but came back when I innstalled the new switch🤔

the Battery lights has also joined the others, and is now on...... new Battery, fully charged, and the dynamo deliveres 14,1-14,2 V........ 

will get the codes on thursday, just want to sell the car now.....

I have now managed to read the fault codes:

C1249

I have checked the connector to the brake light switch, and it only has 12V on one pin when the ignition is on...... As I understand things, it should have 12V on one pin all the time, and 12V on the other pin when I turn on the ignition? 

Any ideas of where to look for the fault? I have checked all the fuses, and tried to check the relay. Could the relay be faulty? 

As mentioned above, the brake light switch frequently throws up such fault messages. I bought a new one for my wife's car and before I fitted it I checked out how the old one was fitted and played around with the connections in preparation for fitting the new one in the morning. I didn't even need to fit the new switch as the next day the problem was cured and never reoccured. 

Well, I’m afraid the new one hasn’t helped.... I’ve been looking for a relay, nr A43 I think, but can’t find it. 
Only found the connection on picture 2, but that’s not a relay....

No clue to futher action, other than going to a workshop and ask them to check??

086C6113-D36C-4975-925A-59802DDA5C3D.jpeg

6BC30A18-8A3F-4260-9961-A4A834B76180.jpeg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links