Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dealing with rust on underside

MikeEH

Just bought a 2010 Avensis 1.8 with 55K on the clock, and when initially checking it over it was too dark to really see the underside, so judging by the visible external and internal condition of the car and full service history with one previous owner, I decided the buy the car. Now I've seen the underside I'm a tad disappointed. Can anyone please advise on the best way of treating the rust on the underside members. I was thinking of initially spraying all the bolt heads and nuts with WD40, and continuing to do so every couple of months, but dealing with the other rust I#m not sure. Has anyone treated rust successfully on the underside of their cars? Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

DSCN0973a.jpg

DSCN0974a.jpg

DSCN0975a.jpg

Not such bad condition, i have seen better, but i have seen lot worse, on a vehicles that never even saw the seaside.

I personally would apply a mix of oil and grease.  During the winter months it will be there no issue, during warmer times it will just pick up some dust which will get soaked and will act as a water barrier.  I aplied the same to my steel wheels as sadly they started to show a bit of corrosion and it's holding strong, you dont even notice it, albeit the layer is not that thick.

You can just apply it with a normal brush, and mind the exhaust.

You can go for some fancy products, you can go for those undercoats, but in your case it will just make it worse as the corossion has already started.

This is a pretty tried method, and a very cheap one.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. The 2006 Avensis that I sold to get this one was 20x worse, with holes appearing in cross members, but the previous owner lived in Grimsby.......I reckon he must have parked it on the beach! I've been told that this is commonplace with Avensis's. I assumed they apply some sort of protective coating when new, but doesn't seem like it.

Thanks again.

Doesn't look too bad. If you want to make a proper job of protecting it then steam clean the underside, allow to dry out thoroughly and apply about 3 litres of Dinitrol 4941 using a Schutz gun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Paint or spray it with rust killer .then waxoyl it 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links