Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo Front Brakes

Lucy Greene

I need the front brakes done on my 64 plate old shape Aygo.  

I'm really confused do I have to have shoes and pads ? or just pads ?

Also any recommendations as to where to go please. 

Front brakes are disc brakes, so pads.

Moved to the Aygo club

• Thanks 1

You could just book it into your local toyota garage? Just looked up prices and its £230 for front brakes and pads (no shoes)

On 11/28/2019 at 7:24 PM, Lucy Greene said:

I need the front brakes done on my 64 plate old shape Aygo.  

I'm really confused do I have to have shoes and pads ? or just pads ?

Also any recommendations as to where to go please. 

How worn out are your front brakes, how did you check if you need to replace them?

Or maybe some garage told you they need replacing? Often they tell people to do this on brakes that are just fine, just because it's easy money for them...

• Thanks 1

Just my two pennies worth. The OEM discs don't seem to last very long on the Aygo. I only drive around 5k miles per year, so I think the lack of use has caused a build up of rust, which kills them off.

FYI, I had pads and discs replaced at 20k miles and recently at 41k miles. Both done at main dealer, as I like to keep the 'goodwill' option open.

• Like 1

If they have not been changed before than you probably have to change both the discs and pad. Having said that it all depends on how much you have driven the car and how much wear and rust you have on these discs. The original (and even some after market discs are prone to rust and crumble after few years specially  in some snow, ice, salt on the road type countries). Our had to be changed after 35000 Km. Now they are ready for change after 75000 km. The discs are rusty and crumbly at the edge but the thickness is not bad.

Thank you all very much.  I brought the car new and it's got 23000 on the clock. My previous C1 had pads and shoes changed on the front and kwikfit also changed the discs on rear. Not sure the rear needed changing. 

I considered mrclutch but I've read bad things so probably I'll go to Toyota and get pads and shoes changed. 

Thanks again 

It's a simple job that your local garage can also do for a cheaper price. Just find the one with the best reviews.

I would avoid any franchises that do car servicing.

On 11/30/2019 at 8:47 AM, Wiz201 said:

You could just book it into your local toyota garage? Just looked up prices and its £230 for front brakes and pads (no shoes)

I put disc's on the front and back of my BMW, 1 hour job, I get all my parts from Euro car parts. Bit like when I pop down to Halfords, people pay £6 to have a bulb put in or a wiper put on, outrageous prices.     

23000 doesn't sound many miles.  Mine has 27000 and was serviced by Toyota a couple of weeks ago who said they were fine.  

Who's said they need replacing?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, craigderby said:

23000 doesn't sound many miles.  Mine has 27000 and was serviced by Toyota a couple of weeks ago who said they were fine.  

Who's said they need replacing?

It got through its MOT in August and nothing was put on the watch list.

Nobody said they need replacement it's just I was advised when I had my C1 to have brakes done at 24000 or every 5 years. 

Must admit no red light so I'm not sure what to do.

11 minutes ago, Lucy Greene said:

It got through its MOT

When was it last serviced?

1 minute ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

When was it last serviced?

August 2019 same time as it's MOT.  

17 minutes ago, Lucy Greene said:

I had my C1 to have brakes done at 24000 or every 5 years

That's an interesting recommendation.  I have not heard of this suggestion before, anymore than I've heard of tyres needing to be replaced at a particular mileage, (rather than by virtue of their tread depth).

If the brake pads are checked correctly in the normal, routine service schedule, then your brakes might be serviceable for much longer than that!  Especially if you are predominantly driving out of town etc.

But then I don't own an Aygo/C1/107 !

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Gerg said:

That's an interesting recommendation.  I have not heard of this suggestion before, anymore than I've heard of tyres needing to be replaced at a particular mileage, (rather than by virtue of their tread depth). OR AGE CRACKS

If the brake pads are checked correctly in the normal, routine service schedule, then your brakes might be serviceable for much longer than that!  Especially if you are predominantly driving out of town etc.

But then I don't own an Aygo/C1/107 !

I added OR AGE CRACKS at end of 1st paragraph.    
That related to tyres

Do discs/pads have potential age related problems?

7 minutes ago, Catlover said:

I added OR AGE CRACKS at end of 1st paragraph.    
That related to tyres

Do discs/pads have potential age related problems?

No I've got no red light coming on. No squealing or rubbing noise. Hand brake seems to travel up a long way before gripping. It's just a kwik fit person many years ago said C1 Aygo and 107 use cheap material which wears away at 25000.   

I wish I could take it for a check and not have someone con me. 

30 minutes ago, Lucy Greene said:

August 2019 same time as it's MOT. 

If it was serviced by a Toyota dealer, the visual safety check should indicate how worn the pads were (using a traffic light system and an estimate in mm of how much material is left on the pads). So if 'green', the pads are OK. If 'amber', probably something that needs to be addressed before the next service. If 'red', probably need replacing now.

If serviced by an independent garage, would have thought they would also provide an indication of whether replacement is due.

Presumably the C1 would have been first generation (2005-2014 C1/Aygo/107  - they are effectively the same car), so may have different spec pads to the second generation ((C1/Aygo/108 May 2014 onwards).

• Like 1

If in August, MOT time, and just 1000 miles ago, there was no advisories re brakes/discs/pads then I think you are pretty safe to keep going.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

If it was serviced by a Toyota dealer, the visual safety check should indicate how worn the pads were (using a traffic light system and an estimate in mm of how much material is left on the pads). So if 'green', the pads are OK. If 'amber', probably something that needs to be addressed before the next service. If 'red', probably need replacing now.

If serviced by an independent garage, would have thought they would also provide an indication of whether replacement is due.

Presumably the C1 would have been first generation (2005-2014 C1/Aygo/107  - they are effectively the same car), so may have different spec pads to the second generation ((C1/Aygo/108 May 2014 onwards).

Independent garage gave no indication. 2018 Toyota said 4mm left milage was 18000 it's now 23000

12 minutes ago, Lucy Greene said:

Independent garage gave no indication. 2018 Toyota said 4mm left milage was 18000 it's now 23000

OK - depends what type of mileage you do (eg urban, etc) - but may be better to look at replacements sooner rather than later.

42 minutes ago, Lucy Greene said:

2018 Toyota said 4mm left milage was 18000 it's now 23000

Ah! That is useful to know! 

Generally, brake pads start with about 12mm of pad material thickness. The wear limit is often quoted at 2mm, but if the pad has reached 3 - 4 mm then it would be a good idea to be thinking of replacing it.  

So you have used 8mm of pad material in 18,000 miles (as of 2018), so about 0.44mm per 1000 miles, in which case, if the measurement was accurate and your driving pattern has stayed the same in the last year, then you should be looking to change the front pads soon.

That's assuming that Aygo pads are the same dimensions as other brake pads.

It looks like Aygos etc. are quite heavy on brake pads.

• Like 1

It no advisory on the MOT.  Seems strange.

19 hours ago, Gerg said:

Ah! That is useful to know! 

Generally, brake pads start with about 12mm of pad material thickness. The wear limit is often quoted at 2mm, but if the pad has reached 3 - 4 mm then it would be a good idea to be thinking of replacing it.  

So you have used 8mm of pad material in 18,000 miles (as of 2018), so about 0.44mm per 1000 miles, in which case, if the measurement was accurate and your driving pattern has stayed the same in the last year, then you should be looking to change the front pads soon.

That's assuming that Aygo pads are the same dimensions as other brake pads.

It looks like Aygos etc. are quite heavy on brake pads.

I have it booked in on Tuesday at Express Service part of the Citroen group.  Cost £50 if pads only and £149 if pads and disc. 

That looks like a bit of a bargain.  I'm sure you know that the Toyota equivalent prices are £125 and £230, or am I misunderstanding their service menu? 

Result!

17 hours ago, Gerg said:

That looks like a bit of a bargain.  I'm sure you know that the Toyota equivalent prices are £125 and £230, or am I misunderstanding their service menu? 

Result!

Well what a shocker. Took the car to Express Service. They said both pads have 6mm and the decision was mine but the recommendation is pads and shoes not needed. No charge made.

Absolutely superb customer service and I'll be going there in future. 

Thank you to everyone who helped me

• Like 1