Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlight bulbs

Patrick Slinn

Like I said, think car halogen lighting law is outdated. Halogen isn't good at 55w. Maybe could compromise at 80w max, still not as good as hid/led but will be an improvement for those who seek it. 

• Like 1

I'm sorely tempted ................ despite the illegalities ........... to buy them.  Mrs Mick F is all for it as the originals are terrible.

Who the heck would know - other than you lot - if I owned to to fitting them! 😎

Mick.

Just been looking at upgrade bulbs for a new car we've ordered. The current Auto Express headlight bulb test winner is the Philips Racing Vision +150% - but the quoted life is only 200 hours.

• Like 1

200hrs is almost zero perhaps.

The brighter the filament light, the less it lasts.

Mick.

That’s the thing, from all manufacturers the best bulbs, the brightest and best performance ones are always with short life, Osram Night Breakers are really good too, but doesn’t last. I am a night driver and for me it’s very important to have a good visibility but also a long life. I am currently using Philips Eco Vision H11 in Auris gen 1, they seems to be better than the original Osram, they last the longest of all bulbs, and their light is fairly white and bright, not as bright as Racing or night breaker . For me Philips Eco vision are the best halogen bulbs that can replace the oem and last long. 
Regards 

3 hours ago, Mick F said:

I'm sorely tempted ................ despite the illegalities ........... to buy them.  Mrs Mick F is all for it as the originals are terrible.

Who the heck would know - other than you lot - if I owned to to fitting them! 😎

Mick.

Many years ago I bought an old fiesta. It came with brighter bulbs, I didn't check until much later in my ownership it was 100w. At the time, I thought great these are brighter lights, yes please. 

If there was an issue after with the insurance company if involved in an accident, I will fight them in court as I didn't modified it and cannot know if that or other parts are standard or not. 

The same goes for going bigger tyres/wheels I just do it. I say I got the car like that if it ever become an issue, just replacing like for like tyres etc. 

8 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

H11 bulbs are different to HIR2 (9012) bulbs and won't fit the Yaris in question.

Exactly!

I wonder if the HIR2 bulbs attract a premium as they're less common?  Not every make seem to sell them either.

Mick.

Apologies .....

that’s why I said “I think..”...., I’m still at the learning stage ...

This forum here :- https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?434319-Headlight-(lowbeam)-upgrade-Halogen-9012-HIR2-bulb-from-H11-stock

has a simply ridiculous amount of information on headlamp technology.  Great reading if insomnia is a problem....

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 2:55 PM, Mick F said:

Today, I noticed that the LH headlight was out.

Just re-fitted the pair of originals as from brand new .........

Was out yesterday evening, and I'd forgotten how miserable the original bulbs were.  Yellow and pitiful.

Other than the poor light output, the silly design of only having one filament and redirecting dip/main will always be a problem.  Having the original bulbs in there made matters even worse.

Mick.