Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Retro Fit Apple Carplay & Android Auto

Devon Aygo

I just tried getting Apply Carplay/Android Auto retro fitted to my 19 plate RAV4 and was told it can't be done on a 19 model as it comes with a MM17 head unit.  It needs to be an MM19 head unit, I'm gutted as the SatNav from Toyota is useless!

9 hours ago, tinytycoon said:

I just tried getting Apply Carplay/Android Auto retro fitted to my 19 plate RAV4 and was told it can't be done on a 19 model as it comes with a MM17 head unit.  It needs to be an MM19 head unit, I'm gutted as the SatNav from Toyota is useless!

Can't be done yet, there is an upcoming programme to carry out the update ( chargeable £50 in conjunction with a service £150 on its own ) which was due to launch in May this has been pushed back due to Covid ( date TBC ) the only exception is MY19 Rav4 Icon which cannot be upgraded. 

I visited the dealer yesterday as a few things are not working on my sat nav. It repeatedly locks up and most of the time voice dialling does not work etc. After a bit of a wait I was told they are awaiting the delayed firmware update and will call me when it is available. As has already been said, it seems this !Removed! pandemic has delayed it.

I booked a service today for next Friday and they said the Update is available for Apple CarPlay and will be installed with the service for £50.00

• Like 2

See Devon Aygo's post of 9th June 7.24pm in the following topic -

In know this post is all about the RAV4, but wondered if the program will also be available for the 2017 Aygo.

5 minutes ago, MRevitt said:

In know this post is all about the RAV4, but wondered if the program will also be available for the 2017 Aygo.

There isn't one for the pre-facelift Aygo. The post facelift Aygo with Apple Carplay/Android Auto uses a different head unit.

Hi, I have a 2020 RAV4 bought in March 2020 but only delivered at the start of June because of the lockdown.  It does not have Apple CarPlay/ Android auto and I have no idea when the retrofit will be done☹

5 minutes ago, PWT said:

Hi, I have a 2020 RAV4 bought in March 2020 but only delivered at the start of June because of the lockdown.  It does not have Apple CarPlay/ Android auto and I have no idea when the retrofit will be done☹

If you look at recent posts, the update has been delayed to Q4 2020.

6 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

If you look at recent posts, the update has been delayed to Q4 2020.

Thanks. Will have to wait I guess but very disappointing for a 2020 car.

15 minutes ago, PWT said:

Thanks. Will have to wait I guess but very disappointing for a 2020 car.

Originally the updates were going to be available from May, but COVID-19, as with lots of other things, has meant there will be a further delay. That's life.

• Sad 1

I contacted my dealer again today and they said they will be doing it on Friday this week at my first service

• Like 2

On 6/14/2020 at 6:19 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

There isn't one for the pre-facelift Aygo. The post facelift Aygo with Apple Carplay/Android Auto uses a different head unit.

Thanks for the update.

I have discovered that the new head, 86140-yv020, can be retro fitted into the FY17 Aygo and will then give me Apple Car Play and I have found a breaker who has one in stock so going to give it a go

I’ve contacted the dealer today, as my 19Rav4 is in for a service too on Friday, asking if I could get this done as well only to be told that this has been delayed.

Frustrating to say the least...

1 hour ago, smila74 said:

as my 19Rav4 is in for a service too on Friday

Please amend your profile to include the Rav4.

On 6/15/2020 at 11:24 PM, Adrian Lavery said:

I contacted my dealer again today and they said they will be doing it on Friday this week at my first service

Can you confirm once done? ToyotaUK twitter account just replied to me that is pushed to October 2020 at earliest.

I will of course. They said it’s on their schedule as available but won’t really know until the car is plugged in and checks for firmware upgrades. They have told me it would be available and I will be angry if it’s not as I would have held off my service!

• Like 1

How did your service go on Friday? Did they do the upgrade?

Some good news, I contacted my local dealership, regarding the update of Apple CarPlay. The manager called me back yesterday saying the upgrade is now available and all I need to do it contact the service department for an appointment. I was able to book for this morning and my car is now having the upgrade. My car is 2019 RAV4.

will update you when I get the car back later today.

Just had a call from my dealer and they can't update the car to Apple CarPlay. They have been told this is delayed till October now. They can only deal with cars that already have Apple CarPlay already installed. Really upset about this, I took a day off work as they said this will be the correct update for my car.

17 minutes ago, Gaz60 said:

Just had a call from my dealer and they can't update the car to Apple CarPlay.

See Devon Aygo's (who works for a Toyota dealer) post of 3rd June and my post of 10th.

So the short answer seems to be October (maybe) wonder what the next excuse will be ! 

Despite Covid the Utility’s companies have kept on working which funny enough include writing and amending plc code to make sure we keep water coming out of the tap and everyone else seem to have jolly holiday and now want to blame poor delivery to Covid “because of Covid” the excuse of champions  

What I don't understand is why there is any delay. This is code, which is so developed that it is installed on new cars at this moment. What is stopping this being currently available to everyone? I've given up waiting and booked my car to be picked up tomorrow for its first service. Maybe next year I'll get it done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Limpy Harries said:

So the short answer seems to be October (maybe) wonder what the next excuse will be ! 

Despite Covid the Utility’s companies have kept on working which funny enough include writing and amending plc code to make sure we keep water coming out of the tap and everyone else seem to have jolly holiday and now want to blame poor delivery to Covid “because of Covid” the excuse of champions  

Not really comparable are they, utilities providing vital services that if we had lost would have had catastrophic consequences and a software update to give extra functionality in your car.

From Toyota's side their technical centre is based in Belgium and is a huge global operation with engineers from all over the world, at the onset of Covid Toyota first slowed then stopped international travel, then lock down occurred and virtually everything came to a stop, we are now slowly emerging and fingers crossed we continue to do so safely but staffing is extremely limited and Toyota along with their dealer networks are no where near back to normal. We are trying to get back to as near normal as possible but in the meantime we are going to have to prioritise operations and a software update for a non critical function is not a priority yet, hence a delay 

26 minutes ago, LesU said:

What I don't understand is why there is any delay. This is code, which is so developed that it is installed on new cars at this moment. What is stopping this being currently available to everyone? I've given up waiting and booked my car to be picked up tomorrow for its first service. Maybe next year I'll get it done.

Unless you are directly involved in the programme to design, programme/engineer and deliver the update you can only assume the update is a simple process, quite frankly we do not know what the process will be.  

At present we are trying to get back to as near normal as possible but in the meantime we are going to have to prioritise operations and a software update for a non critical function is not a priority yet, hence a dela