Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Retro Fit Apple Carplay & Android Auto

Devon Aygo

On 8/27/2020 at 10:03 PM, constantinkamal said:

Tried this tonight and worked great. Even though the thread reffers to Corolla, it worked on my 2019 Rav4. Did it also for my brother in law and neighbour. No issues. 

https://www.clubtoyotacorolla.com/threads/retrofit-car-play-y-android-auto.3324/

Can you pm me a link to the files. Also what version of RAV4 did you have as I would like to do it on my 2019 dynamic version.

Which uses the same system as the US - Entune - rather than Touch 2.

21 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Which uses the same system as the US - Entune - rather than Touch 2.

I am fully aware of what systems different countries use. I am just passing on information which implies there is some movement in the release of software that has been held back due to Covid-19. 

You need to modify your attitude.

22 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

You need to modify your attitude.

Would you please clarify if your comment should be taken as a threat or not, and if it is, why? 

• Like 1

Much as with what you say about your comment, my comment was also passing information on, as others may not be aware that the systems differ. Be less rude.

Back to the topic in question 

After speaking to my own Toyota dealer this morning. They still have no further info.

I then spoke to customer services  Toyota.

They did not have a clue.

The fact there is obviously a roll out happening ( in different parts of the world). From End of Feb when I picked up my car till now. There has been no confirmed update.

Its software that is already incorporated in the car. An update should be easy to send out. I work for a software company. Yes covid slowed things down at the beginning but making no difference now.

Please Toyota stop fobbing us off. Just give a true update on when we should be getting this

Its nearly here!

Instructions were published today on how to complete the update and timescales involved:

1 hour on models without nav

1.5 hours on models with nav

2.5 hours on models with nav but map version pre 2018v1/943

Parts (  3 x USB 8/16/32gb preloaded with update software ) need ordering and have an eta of October for delivery.

All installations have to be registered via Toyota warranty department for purposes of implementation uptake, monitoring of quality concerns & post update warranty validation.

• Thanks 2

Like many rav4 owners i too am waiting for the Apple carplay to come available. Received a update from my supplier:- 

2C5BA4C3-B65A-41C7-B204-03C29EC51A4C.thumb.jpeg.6dae68d5fadfd6f42bc44af3fb3049d1.jpeg

This is the official Toyota tech doc tor ACP and AA retrofit: BE-00439T-TME
It has detailed step by step instructions to follow. It also states that retrofit needs to be registered with the warranty department and if customers attempt to do it themself and brake the headunit, replacement will not be covered under warranty. As Devon Aygo said, dealer can / will have to order 3 usb sticks from Toyota parts. However, according to the tech doc, other 'non toyota supplied' USB sticks can be used and tech doc has instructions how to do it.
Actual files are available for the download now, so hopefully dealers will be installing it soon.
Booked my service on 8th of October, will see how it goes.

• Like 2

Have just put our car in for it's first check up.  Car play has been held back due to Covid so we have been told.

56 minutes ago, JillG said:

Have just put our car in for it's first check up.  Car play has been held back due to Covid so we have been told.

See Parts-King's post dated Tuesday 22/09/20 @09.11 in the following topic:

I've successfully performed the retrofit without any hitch on my MM17 system (with GO navigation) following the instructions from the official Toyota (www.toyota-tech.eu) Technical Service Bulletin BE-00439T-TME. I'm glad to have been patient enough to wait this long, and getting some official procedures rather than figure out through forums talking about the leak where there is so much confusion as to the order of USBs. Some dealers/mechanics might be reading this as well so I hope these guidelines are here to help them potentially also.

• If you want to do it yourself, pay 4 Euro for toyota-tech.eu doc access, get the TSB instructions, read a couple of times through, and track the steps whilst doing the retrofit.
  • The TSB has a few screenshots out of order but the documented procedure is correct.
  • Procedure with navigation followed sticks 1-2-1-3-2 (other people have said 1-2-3-2-1 works before this TSB was published but I didn't want to risk corrupting any of the stuff USB1 dropped in the system, it writes to memory addresses and places dropper files to help with the .sh bash script logic) Note: The procedure without navigation does not specify that you use USB1 at all, it outlines only 2-3-2.
  • The device ID incremented by +1 verified during the version check between 1-2, and +1 again for the version check between 1-3. I speculate that a) either Toyota forgot about this or b) increments are used as some sort of operation verification during USB1's procedures or c) they are tracking how many people perform the updates. MyToyota had HARMANMM19RETROTOY along with the new total +2 incremented device ID, and I didn't have to do anything on MyToyota. Either b) or c) is likely reasons.
  • For extra risk mitigation I checked the USB's for any errors before copying over the files from the official TSB, and checked the total byte size of files were the same, size of disk was different however but that's not a problem.
  • I noticed USB3's VehicleParameter\DCU folder has lots of sub-folders which correspond to DCU part numbers, my DCU part number 86140-42580 was in there. Taking a look around in that folder there are configuration files env_pana and env_vehicle so I think that these correspond to my particular vehicles setup i.e. right hand drive, DAB radio etc. with this additional sanity check (which wasn't documented in the TSB) I felt confident that the upgrade will be okay for my particular vehicle. After all Toyota have done a blanket retrofit to target many different types of vehicles, its not impossible for them to have potentially missed one from the retrofit package.
  • The retrofit takes time, be patient get some coffee or food. For goodness sakes don't turn off vehicle, or unplug any USB unless the TSB instructions tell you to. Also turning off (waiting 1 minute) and  turning on the car between USB swaps must not be done unless instructed to, typically this is only required when doing firmware-to-firmware updates otherwise you do risk, and will likely end up bricking it. 
  • USB3's procedure will restart several if not more times, I actually lost count. This takes a while, and when things slow, it will tell you it may take a while.
  • If you don't have the time to do it, pay your Toyota dealer instead. The guideline UK prices of £50 with service and £120 Corolla/£150 Rav4 without, matches up with typical hourly labour costs for garages.
  • One the retrofit procedure was complete I had DCU:1075 and MEU:1120 for audio and navigation respectively so I manually updated navigation with http://streamtechdoc.toyota-motor-europe.com/techdoc3/audio_navigation/17TMT2EU-FA10_Latest.zip to bring the MEU up to 1140. I think that corresponds to TSB BE-00191T-TME - Toyota Touch 2 with Go (MM19) - Software fixes for MEU - Running Change 3

Whilst the TSB says "Once the upgrade has been performed, register the upgraded vehicle through the warranty channel. Please refer to the last page of the TSB "Registration of the retrofit through the warranty channel".", it doesn't have a last page corresponding to that. But the TSB also says at the end "to avoid any issues during the software upgrade installation, do not remove the USB key until instructed to do so, do not turn off the engine until instructed to do so. If you do not meet those requirements, the unit will be damaged, it will require a unit replacement, and no warranty will be applicable." So I take from that, if in the unlikely event a dealer bricks it, or the USB's get somehow corrupted causing an inadvertent brick, I would expect some unfortunate form of dispute which will have nothing to do with warranty but rather a legal argument of garage responsibility.

I was apprehensive having my Toyota dealer do the retrofit especially when various official words from Toyota (pulled from other forums) say e-learning training is going to be available, colour coded sticks are going to be issued, I was already thinking crikey even Toyota tech HQ thinks that some dealers are going to mess up the procedure. I was contemplating giving mine a print out of the TSB and some USB sticks, weighing up what if they do it incorrectly are they going to blame my USBs,  but after service desk said that they hadn't heard of it, and had not even investigated the TSB after I requested it a few weeks back prior to me coming in for the service, I was like I need a bit more competent confidence here, I'm going to do it myself.

Toyota has done a fantastic job of making the retrofit available and actually making it not look like a exploit. They don't want people bricking units so they have complimented the retrofit TSB with instructions of what not to do on the head unit and it really is as simple as be patient, let it do its work and let it complete without interruption to the power.

Message.jpeg

Product_Bulletin___Corolla___RAV4_Multimedia19_Retrofit_Delay___08.06.20.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Booked with my local Steven Eagell Toyota Rayleigh for Oct 9th they did offer next Friday but the appointment time didn't work for me 🙂

Just booked in with mine for next Thursday

Said thats costs will be transfered onto Toyota!!

Will wait and see.

32 minutes ago, Buff69 said:

When is the first service due at what miles ? Please

Servicing is every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Oh we have done over 12000 better get it booked in i think thanks FROSTYBALLS

Just booked in with mine for next Thursday

Said thats costs will be transfered onto Toyota!!

Will wait and see.

Toyota what are you doing!!!!!

Just been called from the garage .

They dont have the password required to do the upgrade.

How can you send out the usb for the upgrade and not passwords to let it happen.

9 minutes ago, Kingo said:

Toyota what are you doing!!!!!

Toyota Owners Club has no association with Toyota, so Toyota won't see this.

42 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Toyota Owners Club has no association with Toyota, so Toyota won't see this.

Yes I know.  Just venting my frustration 

@Kingo links to the retrofit files and the corresponding passwords can be found on the TSB. So whilst funny, your garage guy's story doesn't quite add up!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links