Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Retro Fit Apple Carplay & Android Auto

Devon Aygo

Has anyone on here had the retro fit Apple CarPlay done on there 2020 Rav4 yet?

Just now, Teresap said:

Has anyone on here had the retro fit Apple CarPlay done on there 2020 Rav4 yet?

No, the retrofit has been delayed til the 4th quarter of 2020 due to COVID-19.

That’s a shame I hate the satnav in my Rav4. 
   I only use my google maps on my phone I’m so looking forward to being able to my google maps on the bigger screen in the car. 

I checked with the service manager at my local Toyota dealership on 15/07/2020 if he new about a retrofit for my 2019 Rav4 Excel. He had heard nothing from Toyota about it happening at all. After coming upon this discussion board,I wrote to Toyota GB customer service & got the same confirmation as previously sited on the board:-

Thank you for your email.

We will be introducing a retrofit for the model year 2019 RAV4 which will include Apple Carplay and Android Auto in October. Your local Toyota dealer will be able to carry out the retrofit. 

I hope this helps and thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Given that some of the comments on here go back to June 2019 & made reference to possible fix in May 2020 (obviously delayed for reasons previously stated), I would have thought local manager would have been aware of something. Maybe all other  local RAV4 owners haven't been as bothered as I am about missing Android Auto or Carplay.

31 minutes ago, Class of 77 said:

Given that some of the comments on here go back to June 2019 & made reference to possible fix in May 2020 (obviously delayed for reasons previously stated), I would have thought local manager would have been aware of something.

Toyota Owners Club has no association with Toyota and whether or not Toyota dealers (aside from Lindop Toyota who are one of our sponsors) access the Club is their choice.

I am aware Toyota Owners Club has no association with Toyota........ as you have posted this previously. My comment was for general consumption & not intended for dealers or head office. I assume I'm not flouting any Club rules by offering an opinion>

There appears to be 2 message streams running on this subject, the other one has an update of October 2020. 

Is it worth Merging these 2 togother

Older topic dated April 2019 locked and linked to this later topic dated November 2019

• 3 weeks later...

i booked my rav4 2019 in for a service this wednesday...they said they could do the update for android auto then...though i shall wait and see...

I've called several Jemca and Inchscape dealerships in my area (Berks/Hants) and they all say that the Android Auto update will never be possible on my 2019 RAV4 Excel AWD which was collected on 01SEP last year. Can somebody please give me the details of a dealer that "can" do it and I'll drive the length of the country if I need to - thanks!

It's not a showstopper as I never use the phone when driving, even hands free, but Google Maps would be handy.

10 hours ago, ZimmerPhrame said:

i booked my rav4 2019 in for a service this wednesday...they said they could do the update for android auto then...though i shall wait and see...

Good luck with Android Auto, if it works, can I have your dealer contact details please - thanks!

8 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

I've called several Jemca and Inchscape dealerships in my area (Berks/Hants) and they all say that the Android Auto update will never be possible on my 2019 RAV4 Excel AWD which was collected on 01SEP last year. Can somebody please give me the details of a dealer that "can" do it and I'll drive the length of the country if I need to - thanks!

It's not a showstopper as I never use the phone when driving, even hands free, but Google Maps would be handy.

Is the vehicle the current 5th generation model, or the very last of the previous generation?

If it's the former you can update around October, if it's the latter then unfortunately you can not upgrade the system

On 8/4/2020 at 9:49 PM, duncerduncs said:

Is the vehicle the current 5th generation model, or the very last of the previous generation?

If it's the former you can update around October, if it's the latter then unfortunately you can not upgrade the system

Thanks - It's the current 5th generation, the 4th was hideous IMHO 😉

Maybe dealers will get the go-ahead soon, but I'll not book it in unless something else needs to be done. Shame as its first service is on 10SEP, the first car I've ever had with not a single fault to report apart from the infotainment update to fix a minor bug.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2 week old RAV4 and obviously have android auto, my question is is it wireless as when I popped in the car earlier android auto popped up on my phone but I wasn't connected by cable?, I haven't had chance to get back to the car to see. 

Tried this tonight and worked great. Even though the thread reffers to Corolla, it worked on my 2019 Rav4. Did it also for my brother in law and neighbour. No issues. 

https://www.clubtoyotacorolla.com/threads/retrofit-car-play-y-android-auto.3324/

13 hours ago, constantinkamal said:

Tried this tonight and worked great. Even though the thread reffers to Corolla, it worked on my 2019 Rav4. Did it also for my brother in law and neighbour. No issues. 

https://www.clubtoyotacorolla.com/threads/retrofit-car-play-y-android-auto.3324/

Would you be willing to do a little write up expalining what you did? What Model RAV4 do you have?

thanks

See Devon Aygo's post of 27/7/2020 in the following topic - 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

See Devon Aygo's post of 27/7/2020 in the following topic - 

THis is different to Devon's post. this is the files being made available for self update and not having to pay the dealer to do it.

33 minutes ago, BigR1ch said:

THis is different to Devon's post. this is the files being made available for self update and not having to pay the dealer to do it.

Fully aware of the difference. The content of the post I referred you to is -

Ladies and Gents, I know everyone is eager to get their cars updated, however a word of caution there is currently no provision for "self updates" and there is a possibility of things going wrong. Toyota can see via diagnostics logs what has been going on and if you do happen to break something you will NOT be covered by warranty if you have been trying to self update.

But go ahead and risk your system.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/android-auto-carplay-software-update-now-available-for-select-toyota-cars-148013.html

a little update on proposed android retrofit....not sure how accurate it is though, but it seems its just a software update, and you could theoretically do it yourself- but risk bricking it..

Also see the corresponding topic in the Corolla club. A handful of members have updated successfully, but some have hit problems and appear to have adversely affected the multimedia unit.  If people try to update themselves, and have problems, from Devon Aygo's earlier post in the Corolla club, it won't be covered under warranty, so any rectification will be at the owners cost.

i got my car serviced a few weeks ago, and they said the update was due october-ish, maybe sooner... they were not exactly chuffed that their telephone people were saying they could do the update now lol..

What's annoying about this it was allmovervyhe motoring pressing that Toyota would upgrade the car of owner free of charge who bought the car without apple car play and Android auto. So i ordered my car in July 2019 we asked the sales man this question and he said yes Toyota are sorting the software out by may or june 2020 you can bring it in and it wiĺl be upgraded or at your first service. My partner asked so this will be free yes Toyota have said it will ok sonwe purchase . Then may come we ask oh well its more involved and not just a software update you need hardware fitting so it will be about £80+vat. 

Quick to give false promises to get u to buy, poor show, 

This was told to use at two separate toyota dealers. So someone at Toyota must have said something to the dealers 

Compared to our 2013 Avensis, the built in navigation on our newly acquired RAV4 is rubbish. Not only that but am I alone in thinking the map graphics look like something out of an early version of MS Flight Simulator? Desperate to get Apple CarPlay so we can ditch the RAVNAV.