Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How to read this Diagnostic find!

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Having what we assume may be battery/alternator issues at the moment with our 2010 diesel 2010 avensis, Battery depletes overnight, anyway thought we'd hook up our diagnostic machine to see if we could find anything eventhough no eml lights are on etc. Everything checked out other than 1 screen which showed a fail. We have no idea what it is. If there are any experts out there who may shed some light on it please. Photographs attached...maybe it's nothing to worry about.

Sammy

20191202_121239.jpg

20191202_120736.jpg

20191202_121303.jpg

I believe those relate to the EGR. Derived flow rate and pressure.  We have had Lexus 220d's with a fail on EGR flow rate (a horrible engine) - EGR bunged up.  Try driving the car a bit more aggressively - might clear it out. Diesels don't like short 'gentle' journeys.  Actually Toyota/Lexus diesel EGR valves seem to soot up easily (compared with VW, BMW etc). 

14 minutes ago, mrfixer said:

I believe those relate to the EGR. Derived flow rate and pressure.  We have had Lexus 220d's with a fail on EGR flow rate (a horrible engine) - EGR bunged up.  Try driving the car a bit more aggressively - might clear it out. Diesels don't like short 'gentle' journeys.  Actually Toyota/Lexus diesel EGR valves seem to soot up easily (compared with VW, BMW etc). 

Cheers mr fixer

That makes perfect sense now, god bless!

We'll take it for a good thrashing however do you think if we manually gave the egr a good clean that it would show a pass on the machine?

Just now, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Cheers mr fixer

That makes perfect sense now, god bless!

We'll take it for a good thrashing however do you think if we manually gave the egr a good clean that it would show a pass on the machine?

Well I've never been much of a fan of cleaning EGRs because you have to charge the labour for cleaning them and 8 times out of 10 the fault light comes back on after a week or two, the customer comes back and you'd have to fit a new EGR anyway and effectively refund the original labour. Less hassle all round just to fit a new EGR straight off. If you are DIY however, then there is nothing to lose in giving it a shot..

In your case, with no warning lights, I'd be inclined to give it a few good runs and not bother with any kind of remedial work until you get a fault light on the dash, then put a new EGR valve on.

29 minutes ago, mrfixer said:

Well I've never been much of a fan of cleaning EGRs because you have to charge the labour for cleaning them and 8 times out of 10 the fault light comes back on after a week or two, the customer comes back and you'd have to fit a new EGR anyway and effectively refund the original labour. Less hassle all round just to fit a new EGR straight off. If you are DIY however, then there is nothing to lose in giving it a shot..

In your case, with no warning lights, I'd be inclined to give it a few good runs and not bother with any kind of remedial work until you get a fault light on the dash, then put a new EGR valve on.

Cheers again, interesting read, I wouldnt have thought a clogged egr required replacing unless the unit has completely failed and you get the light come on the dash like you say.

I do wonder how quickly a brand new egr would take to fill up with soot though!

Are egr units expensive btw? 

37 minutes ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Cheers again, interesting read, I wouldnt have thought a clogged egr required replacing unless the unit has completely failed and you get the light come on the dash like you say.

I do wonder how quickly a brand new egr would take to fill up with soot though!

Are egr units expensive btw? 

Although your diagnostic tool shows a test 'fail' the ECU software will incorporate a 'tolerance' before tripping the Check Engine Light. For example a parameter might need to be more than 25% out of spec before the ECU puts the light on.  So a small amount of sooting puts the flow rate slightly out of spec but is not too detrimental so doesn't put the CEL on. As soot builds up at some point the CEL will be tripped. A change in driving style (long high speed runs) might help clean things up...

A new OE Toyota EGR will be a typically stupid Toyota UK price (several £100's). There are no doubt Chinese copies around for under £100 but I've no idea of the quality. How long they last depends on driving style, Diesel engines don't like short runs - long high speed cruising is best for long life. I no longer sell cars these days, but before I retired I always tried to steer low mileage customers away from Diesels because they'd inevitably have problems (gummed up turbo or egr, or dpf regeneration problems).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrfixer said:

Although your diagnostic tool shows a test 'fail' the ECU software will incorporate a 'tolerance' before tripping the Check Engine Light. For example a parameter might need to be more than 25% out of spec before the ECU puts the light on.  So a small amount of sooting puts the flow rate slightly out of spec but is not too detrimental so doesn't put the CEL on. As soot builds up at some point the CEL will be tripped. A change in driving style (long high speed runs) might help clean things up...

A new OE Toyota EGR will be a typically stupid Toyota UK price (several £100's). There are no doubt Chinese copies around for under £100 but I've no idea of the quality. How long they last depends on driving style, Diesel engines don't like short runs - long high speed cruising is best for long life. I no longer sell cars these days, but before I retired I always tried to steer low mileage customers away from Diesels because they'd inevitably have problems (gummed up turbo or egr, or dpf regeneration problems).

Cheers MrFixer, you’ve been very helpful and informative tonight.

Tell me this though, Please, for those who own diesels but do say city driving, and maybe the odd Italian tune up once a month, is there some sort of a additive or maybe a process whereby once clean out the egr and Dpf, turbo etc? I.e drive a diesel like a petrol

53 minutes ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Cheers MrFixer, you’ve been very helpful and informative tonight.

Tell me this though, Please, for those who own diesels but do say city driving, and maybe the odd Italian tune up once a month, is there some sort of a additive or maybe a process whereby once clean out the egr and Dpf, turbo etc? I.e drive a diesel like a petrol

There are all manner of snake oil additives to mix with the fuel, however when I was in the trade we used Archoil 6400D with decent results. It is basically an agent that liberates additional oxygen during combustion and helps burn off carbon. I got a few Diesels through the emission test with this stuff.  You can buy it from Amazon etc. Its nasty stuff so wear gloves when you put it in the tank.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2019 at 9:41 PM, mrfixer said:

There are all manner of snake oil additives to mix with the fuel, however when I was in the trade we used Archoil 6400D with decent results. It is basically an agent that liberates additional oxygen during combustion and helps burn off carbon. I got a few Diesels through the emission test with this stuff.  You can buy it from Amazon etc. Its nasty stuff so wear gloves when you put it in the tank.

Afternoon mrfixer...is this the right product that you recommended...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Archoil-AR6900-D-Max-Advanced-Diesel-Fuel-Synthesis-500ml/201621896323?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

cheapest I could find! But not a cheap product hey!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links