Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Original tyres run flat?

Jiff

Hi Just got an ex demo 1.8 Corolla TS Excel. The original tyres are Falken Ziex ZE914 B - 225 / 45 R17 91W ECORUN.

Looking them up on the web they appear to be run flat though I've not seen anything on the tyres (yet) to confirm this.

It seems strange if this is the case that it's not mentioned by Toyota. It'll save the bother of using the sealant if I get a puncture (no spare)

They also have the rim protect extra rubber to protect the wheels. 

I hope they are run flat as I'm not convinced by the sealant idea having never used it.

Just wondered if anybody can confirm that they are run flat. I'll have a look at all the codes on the sidewall in the morning.

Regards 

Jiff

Yes they are run flats.
Also having experience of their runflat it's kinda handy.

The guidance on the tyre is that they should only be fitted to cars with TPMS which the Corolla's do.
Also for reference I don't have the TIK but a spare wheel

Thanks for that confirmation. I had one puncture in the last 8 years, 100 yards from a tyre dealer, in my last car with sealant so have never had to use it.

It'll be great to be able to just drive on. I'll still think about getting a spare but do wonder if I'd be able to undo the wheel nuts in any case 🤔

Well its not a bullet proof system ;-)
It should be enough to limp home unless of course the tyre is shredded or has a massive gash in it.

If you're not sure about undoing a wheel nut why don't you try it now (when it's not an emergency) so you know if you can undo and do them back up again with the same force :-)

Damn, no wonder the ride on the 18" rims is so crap, assuming they're also run-flats.  Another reason to junk those Falkens as soon as I can.

ETA:  Looking at the Falken website it seems the 18" tyres are not run-flats - and neither are the 17" ones necessarily.  The 225/45/17 is available as both a conventional tyre and as a runflat.  You can tell which from the sidewall code, as the normal tyre is 224/45R17 94W XL, and the run-flat is 225/45RF17 91W.  The run-flat is noisier and has worse wet grip according to the Falken web page.

https://www.falkentyre.com/en/tyres/car-tyres/product-detail/40761

• Like 1

Well I asked Falken & had a reply, they have confirmed they are not run flat see below:-

Thanks for your mail and question.

Pls. let me explain.

We deliver our Tyre Falken ZE 914B as OE supplier to Toyota.

This specification is marked with an B on the end for Toyota OE tyre.

Also this tyres have a modified construction in pattern style like ZE914 Ecorun.

Tyres where we deliver to Toyota are no Run Flat Tyres.

All OE tyres to Toyota are standard tyres.

If tyres have Run Flat they must marked with:

See image file

image002.jpg

Does the size code say R or RF?  The same size tyre is available as both standard and run flat. Perhaps you should check with Toyota?

According to Black Circles, there is no industry standard as yet to identify run flats from the tyre markings. Eg https://www.blackcircles.com/helpcentre/tyres/how-do-i-know-if-my-tyres-are-run-flat-tyres

5 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

According to Black Circles, there is no industry standard as yet to identify run flats from the tyre markings. Eg https://www.blackcircles.com/helpcentre/tyres/how-do-i-know-if-my-tyres-are-run-flat-tyres

Perhaps, but the Falken website suggested RF for their run-flats. 

I was lent a Lexus UX for a couple of days last week while my RAV4 was in for a recall.

The UX has run-flat tyres, so no spare or repair kit (just as well given it's tiny boot).  The ride and handling were fine, despite the wet weather.   

According to the manual, "The vehicle can be driven for a maximum of 160 km (100 miles) at a speed below 80 km/h (50 mph) after the tire pressure warning light comes on."  This is better than the 50 mile limit on early run-flats, but personally I'd still want a spare wheel.  I've only heard of one occasion of a run-flat being too damaged to continue driving, when the driver had to wait for a recovery vehicle to complete the journey.

One of the 20 or so punctures I've had in the last 20 or so years required a 150 mile drive home on a wet Friday evening, so I wouldn't have been thrilled with a spacesaver, let alone a repair kit or run-flat.

If something like this becomes available and has a few years of proven reliability, I might then be tempted to forego the spare wheel:

I asked the question because like bewA all the tyre websites showed they were run flat. However as Falkan said the important bit is the B after the 914. That's the designation for Toyota OE and they aren't run flat. Apparently they use the flattened circle as their designation, though I've also seen on web sites RF.

Run flat isn't mentioned in the manual like in the Lexus PeteB mentioned, which I'd have thought out would be if they were RF.

A decision to be made whether to hope I don't have a puncture in the next 20k+ miles, which its unlikely, or to get spare. I'll probably wait & hope, then change to RF next time. 😕

I've also had confirmation that the rolling resistance / fuel efficiency is C for the OE tyre, whereas the equivalent run flat is E. 

So that's probably why they don't use the run flat tyre as OE. 

According to Goodyear, the difference in fuel economy between an A rated tyre and a G rated tyre is 7.5% - saving around 6 litres of fuel per 1,000km. So the difference between a C rated tyre and an E rated tyre will be less - probably in the region of 3.5% or around 3 litres per 1,000km.

https://www.goodyear.eu/en_gb/consumer/learn/eu-tire-label-explained.html