Do Not Sell My Personal Information

User Manual

MikeEH

Recently bought a 2010 Avensis T27 and when I got home the only manuals in the pack were "Avensis Brief Guide", "SD NavigationSystem Owners Manual", "Toyota Parking Aid" and "Touch Screen Owners Manual" (For a different model Avensis). The only owners manual I could find on the net is nearly 800 pages at A4 long - I'm 70 at the moment and doubt whether I'd finish reading it before I pass on! Can someone advise me where I could EASILY obtain the relevant owners manual booklet that would have come with the car? Thanks.

Owners manuals for the Avensis (back to 2011/12) may be downloaded by doing a generic search on 

https://www.toyota.co.uk/tme#/my-toyota/eManual

Before 2014, Toyota supplied full owners manuals with new cars, and these would have been the full owners manual as per the above link. For the 2011/12 Avensis the full owners manual is 772 pages.

You may be able to order a paper copy from your Toyota dealership at your cost.

• Like 1

Really, 772 pages??? Is one expected to take a week off work to read it I wonder? How am I expected to remember all that, and especiallly at my age? Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.

Historically the owners manuals for Japanese/Korean manufacturers have been lengthy items, cover most variants of a model and more than one market.

For example the owners manuals for our Aygo and i20 are in excess of 464 and 500 pages.

Hi. Ike, it’s a bit daunting having to read so big a manual. Even if you read it through from to back I doubt anyone could remember it all.  I simply take it in stages, and probably you are going to do the same. I pick out the bits are most importance in my mind, how do I get in and lock up, switch location for lights, wipers, radio etc, how to adjust mirrors, bonnet and boot release, fuel cap, checking fluid levels etc.  Then as time goes on I read a bit more, out to the car, sit in to work out the sat nav etc.  I had my current car now 16 months and still don’t know all the hidden menus on the dash. It was only week ago I had to ask on here how do I put the clock back an hour.... I’d it it last year, and forward 6 months ago but I couldn’t figure it out this year.  I saw an old Austin 7 on the road the other day, it was turning left, and out popped a amber coloured arm from door area. I thought how simple that was, but of course progress has been made we are told.

its the same if you got a computer. We might turn it on, write a letter, go on the internet, etc, but if you want to learn all that Windows 10 or Apple iOS does, the manuals to do that will reach hundreds of pages too. 
Just relax, take it easy, read what you want to in stages, that is what I do.

I have the owner's manual for my 2009 Avensis, but have download the later versions which cover most of my car. The EPB has different operation - auto apply when switched off. Hopefully someone might have a spare 2009 to 2011 manual. You could try eBayhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=toyota+avensis+2010+owners+manual&_sacat=183718

Thanks for all the replies.

It does seem SLIGHTLY more complicated than my father's old Morris Minor back in 1958. Manual was about 10 pages if I remember .

Yes, stages I think...starting with clock as it's an hour fast. Then probably the sat nav and associated stuff that you can get on the screen.

Happy days.

Honestly, half of the manual will be warnings. Most of it common sense stuff that can no longer be assumed to be common sense, otherwise the manufacturer gets repeatedly sued by the stupid and the greedy. There would have been a lot fewer warnings in the manual from Morris.😂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MikeEH said:

...It does seem SLIGHTLY more complicated than my father's old Morris Minor back in 1958. Manual was about 10 pages if I remember...

In that era you were lucky to get one sheet of foolscap (slight bigger then A4) of notes typed on a manual typewriter.

In the 1960s my Mum worked in the Vickers factory in Weybridge, Surrey (which became British Aircraft Corporation, which became British Aerospace, now BAe) and used to type manuals and procedure documents for aircraft such as the VC10 on an electric typewriter.

Her boss obviously had a sense of humour as when he learned we were going to Spain on a BAC 1-11 jet he got her to type some of the emergency drill procedures, telling her if there was emergency on our flight she'd be able to brief the pilot!

• Haha 1