Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear light bulb blowing every few months

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi guys

Would like to ask, is it normal on these Aygo's to have to replace your rear light bulbs every...say...4 or 5 months ? 

Had to swap one out this morning...still waiting for the sensation in my hands to return an hour later! Anyway...this is the old bulb...why is it so black ?

20191204_105254.jpg

It's a very badly made bulb which has leaked it's inert gas so air has crept in, and the oxygen in the ordinary air has allowed combustion of the metal filament.

Were all the other burned out bulbs from the same batch?

This shouldn't be happening...get a decent bulb!

1 hour ago, Hal Mercier said:

It's a very badly made bulb which has leaked it's inert gas so air has crept in, and the oxygen in the ordinary air has allowed combustion of the metal filament.

Were all the other burned out bulbs from the same batch?

This shouldn't be happening...get a decent bulb!

Cheers mate.

I replaced it with a Bosch bulb today...sure the last 1 was a Bosch too...hmm.

20191204_140730.jpg

The Lucas brand is owned by ZF, and is licenced to Elta Lighting for use on automotive electrical equipment. Lucas bulbs aren't Bosch.

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The Lucas brand is owned by ZF, and is licenced to Elta Lighting for use on automotive electrical equipment. Lucas bulbs aren't Bosch.

Why on earth did I say Bosch...I meant a Lucas bulb...think I have Bosch on my brain because my other half Wont stop talking about a Bosch s5 Battery he wants to buy for his Avensis! Men !

Quick one on this thread...does anybody know how to clean the green gunge that gets in the rear lights around the edges? I see how it happens as there is a gap between the lens joining the plastic backing. If I could wash it out some how and maybe seal the edges?

Hal might be right, in that the bulb was poorly made.

I find I have to replace the number plate bulbs on both my ageing vehicles something like every approx 3 years, with the 5w wedge or festoon bulbs going black and then ultimately failing.  The number plate bulbs are mounted on the tailgate(s), which obviously suffer a good thump every time the tailgate gets closed, and I've always wondered if this vibration is part of the problem, as well as slight corrosion of the contacts as the vehicles get older. I wonder if the number plate bulbs bulbs aren't quite as secure in their holders as the bayonet type side/brake reverse/indicator bulbs, whether in the tailgate or on the rear wings.  I suspect a poor electrical contact will also result in bulbs becoming black and failing prematurely.

Sam have you thought about replacing the bulbs with leds

you would need a load resistor for indicators though

7 hours ago, eygo said:

Sam have you thought about replacing the bulbs with leds

you would need a load resistor for indicators though

Hi eygo

I did consider it, but I must be getting old, stick to the good old bulb for now, less hassle.

1 hour ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Hi eygo

I did consider it, but I must be getting old, stick to the good old bulb for now, less hassle.

but is it less hassle ...... changing the bulbs so often and then

waiting for the sensation in your hands to return after an hour.

• 1 month later...
Den 2017-12-04 kl. 12:39 sa SAM LOVERS HERR TOYOTAS:

Tjena

Skulle fråga, är det normalt att dessa Aygo måste byta ut dina bakre glödlampor varje ... säger ... 4 eller 5 månader? 

Var tvungen att byta ut en i morse ... väntar fortfarande på att sensationen i mina händer skulle återvända en timme senare! Hur som helst ... det här är den gamla glödlampan ... varför är den så svart?

20191204_105254.jpg

On 1/12/2020 at 5:46 PM, Allan T said:

change to a LED bulb it will work for a long time ...

Are you from Sweden Allan? Or is my computer playing havoc, translating your post in to Swedish without my asking?

I have changed the rear number plate light to LED wedge and that has cured the frequent changes. The other solution is to buy a regular bulb from reputed company Philips, Narva, Osram or GE. Nothing else. No Chinese bulbs.

50 minutes ago, rajivrattna said:

No Chinese bulbs.

The LEDs are quite likely from China 😁

Hi Sam, is this bulb the replacement for the one you were telling us about at the beginning of your thread.  If so, did you check that it's nice and secure in it's holder.  A bulb that's not nice and secure with good electrical contacts, moves around, possibly causing fluctuations in the current to the filament, so it won't last so long.

So, is it just the one bulb position that keeps blowing, or the whole lot!

Ha Ha! I missed that one. Sooner or later all bulbs are going to be from China (or Mexico). Philips makes and exports bulbs from Mexico. Correction is in order: Just stick to reputed manufacturers, no matter where they are made.

1 hour ago, Notoyboy said:

The LEDs are quite likely from China 😁

Hi Sam, is this bulb the replacement for the one you were telling us about at the beginning of your thread.  If so, did you check that it's nice and secure in it's holder.  A bulb that's not nice and secure with good electrical contacts, moves around, possibly causing fluctuations in the current to the filament, so it won't last so long.

So, is it just the one bulb position that keeps blowing, or the whole lot!

Hi 

As far as I’m aware the bulb was secure, I’ve made errors whereby I’ve installed it the other way around so that it’s brighter than the opposite side, and recent where I didn’t fit it correctly as in turning it all the way around into its position whereby it caused my headlights and instrument lights to come on each time braked.

Its only these double filament bulbs that blow on me, recently it’s been fine though.

How that bulb got so black I’ll never know if I’m honest.

Given these cars leak like a seive and the rear lights are a weak point, maybe water is getting in and shorting the bulb somehow?

2 hours ago, SimonIG10 said:

Given these cars leak like a seive and the rear lights are a weak point, maybe water is getting in and shorting the bulb somehow?

Very likely that could be a cause mate.

cheers

On 1/15/2020 at 7:33 PM, rajivrattna said:

Are you from Sweden Allan? Or is my computer playing havoc, translating your post in to Swedish without my asking?

I have changed the rear number plate light to LED wedge and that has cured the frequent changes. The other solution is to buy a regular bulb from reputed company Philips, Narva, Osram or GE. Nothing else. No Chinese bulbs.

yes i am from sweden -have the same problem with translations all the time very annoying ..