Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lights off with engine running?

rafletcher

So, the new Corolla doesn't have an "Off" position for the lights, as far as I can see.  Because of the way I park, I'd like to be able to turn the lights off altogether whilst I'm scraping the car these cold mornings.  Obviously I can turn the headlights off, but the DRL's are still illuminated. Is there any way to turn them off as well with the engine running? Or is that only possible with the engine off?

I could of course park 180 degrees around - but that puts the bonnet - and warm engine - very close to a hedge. And the last time I had a new car and parked that way, I discovered, on opening the bonnet to top up the screenwash, that  mice had been climbing in and chewing at the rubber that sealed bonnet to scuttle!!

As an aside a neighbour, who likes to leave his car running to defrost while he goes back inside to breakfast 🙄 has a Discovery Sport (or something like that), and that has all its lights out whilst running, which is what triggered the thought to ask. 

Wouldn't have thought so as being able to turn the DRL's on or off wouldn't meet the requirements of the legislation.

Do you have the parking brake on when parked? On some Toyotas the DRL's only come on when the parking brake is released.

No, I did wonder about that, I don't think his is a special import but who knows (on US spec cars you can turn off the DRL's for instance). The parking brake is automatic, so on when the shift is in park. It's still a bit strange to me that there is only headlight on / sidelights on / auto as a choice of settings. Unless the DRL's also act as side/parking lights of course, but that doesn't seem right as DRL's only work in the front when all other lights are off. Another case of too much automation maybe.