Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla Hybrid - 1.8 vs 2.0

Ytsejam

Hello, 

because I am buying a new car I am contacting you for advice. Every day, I drive 110 kilometers on the highway and 20 kilometers on local roads. Is the hybrid at all appropriate for my driving style and how much consumption I can expect? How the hybrid works at speeds above 130 km/h? Which version is more suited to my driving style 1.8 or 2.0?

Best regards

I think it depends where you come from.

If your current/previous car is fast and powerful  (above 130-140 hp), then the bigger hybrid will be less painful switch 🙂

But if you’re used to slow cars with around 120 hp and less, then 1.8 is also an option.

But in any case, you will find the hybrid slightly slower than equivalent regular car with non-cvt transmission.

I would personally go crazy if I had the 1.8. The never ending search for power on motorways, revs going up high. I've tried to find power curves or dyno charts for both engines, but I have'nt had any luck. The 2.0 is very power full, you really get that push back in the seat, flooring the accelerator. 

Best advice, try out both engines for at least 1 hour each. It's important that you get that everyday life feeling. 

Both cars can do very nice mpg's on the motorway, how ever, there are some discussion wheater the 2.0 is economical enough, compared to what people expect from a hybrid. 

My last car was a 2.0l. An Audi Quattro. It managed to average 28mpg on a 17  mile commute.  Whatever the mpg from the 2.0l hybrid it'll be a lot more than that! Perhaps not as much as some diesels, but I made a conscious decision to avoid diesels around 5 years ago.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nielshm said:

I would personally go crazy if I had the 1.8. The never ending search for power on motorways, revs going up high. I've tried to find power curves or dyno charts for both engines, but I have'nt had any luck. The 2.0 is very power full, you really get that push back in the seat, flooring the accelerator. 

You feel it quite a bit in the wallet as well :wink:

Personally I've never found a need for heavy acceleration. The 1.8 seems to have enough without utilising the Battery most of the time. It seems to me that any manoeuvre that requires more than a typical 1 litre car can provide is probably one that shouldn't be attempted in the first place. All more power does is increase the chances of getting involved in something nasty. It rarely reduces the journey time.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

You feel it quite a bit in the wallet as well 😉

Personally I've never found a need for heavy acceleration. The 1.8 seems to have enough without utilising the battery. It seems to me that any manoeuvre that requires more than a typical 1 litre car can provide is probably one that shouldn't be attempted in the first place. All more power does is increase the chances of getting involved in something nasty. It rarely reduces the journey time.

I think I'll try shooting a video, where I do normal accelerations, just to show how low or high revs will go.

If you could do the same thing with the 1.8 liter engine, then we would have a kind of comparison. Every video on Youtube is about max. acceleration or maximum engine power, but no one shows everyday driving.

• Like 1

Simply said if you about efficiency go for 1.8, if you about performance go for 2.0. The 1.8 hybrid is powerful enough to get you going and keep up with every day commute or as a work car - taxi, delivery etc, plus in ideal conditions can come close to a Prius consumption where 2.0 can’t, but yeah  it is still good on fuel. In my case at the moment doing over 50k miles a year if I am buying a new Corolla the engine will be 1.8 for an obvious reason, even though I am mostly a motorway driver. I think it is great that Toyota now offers 2.0 option for people who prefer more spirited driving but don’t expect to be a Golf R or Audi S3, despite looks pretty good with big wheels. There is a sport variant coming after new year but except styling I don’t see much more of power than a regular 2.0 hybrid. 

5 hours ago, nielshm said:

I think I'll try shooting a video, where I do normal accelerations, just to show how low or high revs will go.

If you could do the same thing with the 1.8 liter engine, then we would have a kind of comparison. Every video on Youtube is about max. acceleration or maximum engine power, but no one shows everyday driving.

You choose to drive differently from me and I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that I don't approve of your kind of driving. I consider it to be wasteful, lacking in vehicle sympathy, inefficient and above all less safe.

In normal driving I keep the car out of the PWR area on the dashboard which equates to rarely going much above 2,000 rpm and that seems to suffice for my commute and for driving on motorways. My advice to anyone that thinks they need more power is to dedicate a week or two to driving more sensibly. Measure the difference in journey times and I'm pretty sure it will be negligible for any journey less than an hour. You will however save significant amounts of fuel, reduce wear and tear on your vehicle and make the experience more pleasant for your passengers. It'll also be a lot safer for everyone.

Here endith the lesson.

Sorry :)

• Like 3

This is totally not applicable for many countries.

There it could be quite the opposite - not driving with the flow speed and slowing everyone behind you could actually lead to dangerous situations and accidents because of frustrating the others and forcing them to do stupid things to pass you.

It is full of youtube videos, forum discussions, etc. especially between Prius drivers, how you should make sure not to make everyone angry just because you want to achieve +2mpg for example.

And I have heard this from different traffic/driving experts on different occasions - most safe driving is to “follow” the others. Not driving faster or slower.

And again, when you live in a place, where “normal” acceleration is considered to be something else than what Japanese engineers thought when creating the eco/pwr bar, then it’s safer not to watch it and drive as the rest.

So you guys seem to be lucky living and driving in a place where there is no road rage, speeds in general are very low and everyone is just driving calmly.

But this is not the case in many countries.

Just an example:

Tell a German to drive on their autobahns with only 60mph. Or to go to the fast lane for overtaking a truck staying only in the eco zone...in a no limit zone where someone behind you can be approaching with 100+mph...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AndrueC said:

You choose to drive differently from me and I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that I don't approve of your kind of driving. I consider it to be wasteful, lacking in vehicle sympathy, inefficient and above all less safe.

In normal driving I keep the car out of the PWR area on the dashboard which equates to rarely going much above 2,000 rpm and that seems to suffice for my commute and for driving on motorways. My advice to anyone that thinks they need more power is to dedicate a week or two to driving more sensibly. Measure the difference in journey times and I'm pretty sure it will be negligible for any journey less than an hour. You will however save significant amounts of fuel, reduce wear and tear on your vehicle and make the experience more pleasant for your passengers. It'll also be a lot safer for everyone.

Here endith the lesson.

Sorry 🙂

Is there a forum administrator present? I will not accept, beeing accused of "a maniac behind a wheel" attitude. 

AndrueC don't know anything about how I drive my car. You don't know anything about what "normal accelerations" means to me. 

So untill I prove my self worthy of a maniac unsafefull driver, that should spend his time on a racetrack, instead of killing everyone around me, shut up!!! 

Edited by FROSTYBALLS
Shouting removed.

The main focus of this topic is how the 1.8 hybrid differs with the 2.0 hybrid. 

Member's driving styles and road behaviour in different countries aren't relevant to the discussion

Topic locked.