Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Aygo must be haunted by gremlins!!!

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

I had to start a new thread for this issue, I don’t think it’s ever been covered, but after all that I’ve been though recent with my Aygo, this is the cherry for me...

Okay so from my last thread, all I’ve done on my car today was change a rear bulb, fit a new set of ignition coil packs, and clean my earth to the car Battery...I made sure the earth was secure!

Upon parking up after work today...everything normal...handbrake up...windows closed...lights off...normal checks etc etc...took key out the ignition...and suddenly the instrument pod lit up orange again with a pinging sound!!! The little info screen was lit but no info on it...all the little dash lights didn’t come on as in the eml and Battery lights etc...it was just the pinging and the big main light for the cluster! I should have recorded it but I was in a panic. I put the key back in and started it up and it did it again. Made a third attempt to start and switch off and all was normal again.

I doubt anybody else has experienced this...??? Maybe it’s haunted!

Anybody?

I have no idea really but assuming no connections came adrift while you were doing your maintenance, then maybe you gave the ECU a fright when you were working with the Battery earth and it has taken time to settle down. Depending on how sophisticated, or not, the computer in the ECU is, sometimes they behave strangely when batteries are disconnected.

A few years ago I had a car that needed to go to dealer if the Battery needed to be changed as a reset of something was required, probably not relevant in this case as Aygos are quite basic and I know people change their batteries without drama all the time.

Has it happened again?

Sam, you may have been better not starting a new thread for this.  The problem you had, and now have may be related, by starting a new thread the continuity has been broken. Someone may read this, but not read the other and doesn’t know history which may, or may not, matter. Just my thoughts,

10 hours ago, johnan said:

I have no idea really but assuming no connections came adrift while you were doing your maintenance, then maybe you gave the ECU a fright when you were working with the battery earth and it has taken time to settle down. Depending on how sophisticated, or not, the computer in the ECU is, sometimes they behave strangely when batteries are disconnected.

A few years ago I had a car that needed to go to dealer if the battery needed to be changed as a reset of something was required, probably not relevant in this case as Aygos are quite basic and I know people change their batteries without drama all the time.

Has it happened again?

Morning...as a matter of fact it happened this morning...only this time it took 8 tries to switch it off...all started since I changed my coil packs and took the earth off to clean and tighten.

Scary stuff. I'm going to try disconnecting my Battery for 5 mins and see if it happens again. 

Otherwise it might be the sensor on my drivers door or the actual light stalk! Wonder how much that'll cost and how easy the job is!

What's happening is you've been driving...you switch your lights off...but the pod stays lit and a constant beeping sound as if you opened your door and forgot to switch lights off...in my case I havent even opened the door yet!

IMG-20191206-WA0001.jpg

10 hours ago, Catlover said:

Sam, you may have been better not starting a new thread for this.  The problem you had, and now have may be related, by starting a new thread the continuity has been broken. Someone may read this, but not read the other and doesn’t know history which may, or may not, matter. Just my thoughts,

I see your point...hmm...apologies...I get in a panick and go off on one.

Guys,

I have an update, 

I've discovered something else in regards to my thread issue

To recap...all I've done run the last week is change my coil packs, replace a rear light bulb, and disconnect my earth to Battery to check and clean. After all that ive had this issue of my dash pod lighting up with a beeping sound eventhough key is out and lights are switched off.

Anyway...we did a 300 mile trip yesterday. Drive beautiful with the new coils. Along the way I discovered...basically with my lights off (whether moving or stationary!)...everytime I touch brake...the dash pod lights up AND the light in my centre console...AND MY HEADLIGHTS AND REAR LIGHTS !!!

What's that about??

This is so crazy.

I'd really appreciate advice on a fix from a bright spark! Could it be a faulty circuit or fuse or something? How can touching brake light everything up ????

It would too much of a coincidence to say what you did with the electrics is not linked with this problem.  It’s finding the source of the problem that will be the difficult bit.  Know a good auto electrician??

First job I would do is a check on the brake lights, make sure correct bulbs are fitted (dual or single filament pin offset) bulb holders are clean and in good order,no damp access. Then check wiring to bulb holders is sound and most important make sure earth wire is good. Next step check brake light switch and its connection. Hope this helps.

2 hours ago, bobby boy said:

First job I would do is a check on the brake lights, make sure correct bulbs are fitted (dual or single filament pin offset) bulb holders are clean and in good order,no damp access. Then check wiring to bulb holders is sound and most important make sure earth wire is good. Next step check brake light switch and its connection. Hope this helps.

That's usually the issue...incorrect bulb fitted and back-feeding the electrical system.
Also, any faulty earths can cause this but most often it is a single filament instead of a double filament bulb incorrectly fitted

Cheers guys.

I'm gona get on to the rear bulb checks first and any earth connections in or around that area...my gut feeling says the answer is in the boot! Hmmm

2 hours ago, bobby boy said:

Bobby boy...where is this brake light switch and its connection may I ask?

Brake light switch should be located on a bracket under the dashboard at the top of the brake pedal, when the pedal is pressed a plunger should be released to allow the switch to work. I think one wire to the switch is always live other side of switch goes to earth. Perhaps another forum member could confirm this.

1 hour ago, bobby boy said:

Brake light switch should be located on a bracket under the dashboard at the top of the brake pedal, when the pedal is pressed a plunger should be released to allow the switch to work. I think one wire to the switch is always live other side of switch goes to earth. Perhaps another forum member could confirm this.

Cheers Bobby...

Way too cold to go out there tonight.

I'll give the rear bulb a check first tomorrow and report back. Really stressing me out. I'm hoping n praying it's just a faulty bulb. Imagine pressing your brake pedal and all your lights including headlamps come on...so weird!

The replies above, Sam, imply a single filament bulb could have been fitted instead of a dual filament. It’s common to have a bulb which has 2 filaments, one for the rear light, and a larger wattage filament for a brighter brake light. Can you remember what bulb you said you changed, and what did you fit.

Check both brake light bulbs I think their dual filament 380's. If filaments cross it results in curious electrical faults as other members have stated. Hope you get it sorted.

2 hours ago, Catlover said:

The replies above, Sam, imply a single filament bulb could have been fitted instead of a dual filament. It’s common to have a bulb which has 2 filaments, one for the rear light, and a larger wattage filament for a brighter brake light. Can you remember what bulb you said you changed, and what did you fit.

Hi Catlover, I replaced the bulb that is a dual filament, I’m almost certain, and it was the passenger side left, reason for replacement was due to when I switched my headlights on the rear left side Wouldnt light up, hence bulb change. I can’t wait to look at this tomorrow work and weather permitting.

I assume this means currently each time I brake...my headlights and rears come...crazy. The kids find it amusing. I don’t to say the least, it’s embarrassing 

48 minutes ago, bobby boy said:

Check both brake light bulbs I think their dual filament 380's. If filaments cross it results in curious electrical faults as other members have stated. Hope you get it sorted.

I will do, check both sides, cheers, I just hate having to put my hand up that tight space to undo a 10mm nut without dropping it !

Guys...IM ALL FIXED...IM SO HAPPY...finally had my 10 minutes to have a look at my rear lights this morning...I am embarrassed to say...I failed to turn the bulb all the way around at installation the other day...as soon as i took the back plate off the lamp and had a look i could see the 1 prong slightly out!

Gosh. Panic over and no more pressing brake that operates my headlamps and dash pod etc.

These aygo's are a character because once I fixed my issue I noticed my drivers door started a horrible squeak...ahhh...sprayed a little white grease and problem solved!

Wonder what's next????

20191211_132748.jpg

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

We live and learn/

We sure you, panic over, cheers for all your support, honestly this forum is a blessing for many.

x