Sign in to follow this  
JiiN

Corolla E12 prefacelift Steering wheel control problem with aftermarket android radio

Hello! I bought a android radio from Aliexpress and it came with same steering wheel connector as in picture. My car is 2004 Corolla so it have same connector as in picture upper one. Does anyone solve this problem to get SWC work in prefacelift Corolla?

020908160206.jpg

Hi,

Not an update I have done, but seems you need something like one of these Connect2 adapters, best to contact them to ensure its compatible with your new unit,

000007.jpg

Other connectors are just like in original radio. Only that one is different. Is it possible connect wire by wire? Radio is working nicely, except steering wheel controls.

Hi,

They make cheap cable / plug adapters for the other speaker connectors etc, so if the steering wheel could be done that way, surely they would be around.

Its not just wire to wire plug compatability, its the electronic and logic  compatability as well.

As said, you also need to check that the Connect2 unit is compatible with your model Corolla and Android Head unit.

http://www.connects2downloads.co.uk/C2/files/InstallationGuides/CTSTY008-2_IG_en-GB_v1.pdf

Hi,

Thanks for answer.

I sent them a question about can they help me with adapter. 

Here a pic from new radios back (low left is the connector where steering wheel contorls wire goes). I've never seen that kind a connector in any aftermarket radio.

Hfa6fb4f5c5d14400b872aa0ef74127cay.jpg

Hi,

It looks a good physical match for the old radio, but they seem to come with a hefty price tag.

Can only see Android 8 or 9 units on AE.

What you have to remember is your Toyota unit is over 15 years old and Toyota tended to use their own wiring /connection standard in those days.

Modern aftermarket head units are much more compatible with each other, though not sure about these Android units connections ?

000009.jpg

3 minutes ago, oldcodger said:

Hi,

It looks a good physical match for the old radio, but they seem to come with a hefty price tag.

Can only see Android 8 or 9 units on AE.

What you have to remember is your Toyota unit is over 15 years old and Toyota tended to use their own wiring /connection standard in those days.

Modern aftermarket head units are much more compatible with each other, though not sure about these Android units connections ?

000009.jpg

Hello,

Like I said, other connections is just right.

Seller advertises that the radio is compatible with SWC, so I'm just trying to figure out is it anyhow possible fit facelift connector to prefacelift connector.

If you check the adapter here, the cable is similar and you can see C1 and C2 plugs listed as SWC controls. It looks like it goes wire to wire, so if you can isolate the wires, you can make your own adapter, but they do come cheap enough for you not to bother.

I'm putting this link only because i cant isolate big enough pictures to link here directly, and i dont have time to find a way around that now.

So do not take this as any advertisements i'm posting it just because they have all wires marked

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32911960224.html?spm=2114.search0306.3.16.49157468Ranqk8&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_0,searchweb201603_0,ppcSwitch_0&algo_pvid=730c748c-a784-431a-8bc2-ee85c74fd321&algo_expid=730c748c-a784-431a-8bc2-ee85c74fd321-4

Thanks everyone for answering!

Any tips are more than welcome (advertisement or not). It looks like a good size, but am I only one who think, that those pins doesn't match with each other? Look's like one pin goes to empty hole etc. Connects2 said that they can't help in this problem. It looks pretty impossible right now..

Hi,

If you see this link it describes the two versions of SWC used on the 2002-06 uk models.

With it being so old the pictures links are no longer up there, but you should be able to work out something from the text.

Seems the Resistive ones are quiet simple as the diagram shows, said to be from a Corolla but unable to verify....

With the info on that link you also need to know what signal / paths your Android is expecting to receive, so hopefully its manual or helpline can advise ?

With that info you may be able to connect the two, or find you need some additional  interface unit /electronics...?

Could be an expensive mistake if you just plug and try !!

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/107253-steering-wheel-control-facts/

000010.jpg

11 hours ago, oldcodger said:

Hi,

If you see this link it describes the two versions of SWC used on the 2002-06 uk models.

With it being so old the pictures links are no longer up there, but you should be able to work out something from the text.

Seems the Resistive ones are quiet simple as the diagram shows, said to be from a Corolla but unable to verify....

With the info on that link you also need to know what signal / paths your Android is expecting to receive, so hopefully its manual or helpline can advise ?

With that info you may be able to connect the two, or find you need some additional  interface unit /electronics...?

Could be an expensive mistake if you just plug and try !!

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/107253-steering-wheel-control-facts/

000010.jpg

Hi,

Thanks for info. I need to study this more when i remove radio to fit it bit more better. There was a label of wiring diagram on the radio, so i have to see what it says.

If anyone know bolt on adapter or something, still tips are more than welcome. Internet is "full" of adapters with ISO-connectors, so maybe its possible to get one of those and cut the wires and solder them in android radio connector.

Hi,

Think you need to mention which type of SWC you have, the small buttons built into the central boss of the steering wheel or the type with a lever arm/ paddles  just under the wheel as they function in very different ways as that link shows.

Hi,

I have those paddles type controls under the wheel.

If I decide to try cut and solder those wires, something like this (upper one) maybe should do the trick?

CTSTY00C.jpg

Does anyone know can something go wrong, or is it even possible that could work?

Edit: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/connects2-ctsty00c-stalk-adapter-for-toyota-vehicles

"Toyota steering wheel control for analogue vehicles, supplied with both connections styles for easy installation, simply discard the harness that is not needed."

SOLVED:

So it is just impossible to get steering wheel controls working with aftermarket head unit in prefacelift Corolla e12. No one of those adapters etc doesn't work with AVC-LAN type steering wheel controls. I literally asked it from everywhere.

I found a guy from Greece who made me a new PCB in original SWC. Haven't got it yet, but He said He have done many of them.

• Like 1

I ordered that connects2 kit for my 2002 t sport but as you experienced it's not compatible. Luckily the shop allowed me to return it for a refund. Connects2 and the shop states it as compatible but it's not. If you see my posts I've gone from stock to a single din Kenwood. Let me know more on the resolution you are being provided with from Greece please because I'm in the exact situation where I cannot utilize my SWC. Thank you.

Ok, so guy from Greece (nickname niksta in here forum) made me a new PCB and it came today. It fit perfectly in original SWC stalk and works just great in my new aftermarket headunit. He gave very good instructions to install PCB. So if You haven't done much this kind of a installations, with those instructions You can't just go wrong. The price was reasonable, and I recommend him BIG time!

• Like 1

Good to hear you have got it working.  :clap:

As search for "nistra" shows nothing , could you give a link to him please, sure it will  be of help to others.

On 3/3/2020 at 8:32 PM, JiiN said:

Ok, so guy from Greece (nickname niksta in here forum) made me a new PCB and it came today. It fit perfectly in original SWC stalk and works just great in my new aftermarket headunit. He gave very good instructions to install PCB. So if You haven't done much this kind of a installations, with those instructions You can't just go wrong. The price was reasonable, and I recommend him BIG time!

Thank you very much Jarkko (JiiN) for your kind words and for the cooperation. I am very glad that everything went smoothly with the installation and you are happy with it.

For everyone who is interested, there are some PCBs left. The modification consists of 2 PCBs connected together through a flat cable (like those in the pictures below). So, you leave the original PCBs intact. Of course they have green (or red) LED lighting.  Also, the buttons have the same feeling as the original. What is needed more is a couple of connections behind the unit.

Except for the android HU, there are also PCBs for pioneer HUs that have WR (Wired Remote) input at the back. Perhaps, I can manage to make them work with units from another brand as well, but till now are tested only on Android and Pioneer HUs.

Mod edit: see post dated 25th March 2020 below re selling.

IMG_20200304_001340.jpg

IMG_20200304_001408 (2).jpg

• Like 1

Can someone edit the topic "SOLVED: Corolla E12 prefacelift steering wheel control problem with aftermarket android radio" or something like that?

Because now we have niksta here who can help if someone is struggling with this problem 😊

• Like 1

Hello all,

I can also confirm the above is working.
I met Nick (niksta) through the Greek Corollaclub forum (corollaclub.com) a while ago.
He was successful in investigating a possible solution for me (I am using the "oem style" chinese android headunit), and also provided me an early development working PCB for my pre-Facelift E12.
This has been working flawlessly for more that 18months now, and Nick is reliable and trustworthy. 
As mentioned, it requires a small modification on the main wiring harness that was used to control the stock headunit, to pass the new (analog now) signal to the new headunit. After that, it's just a matter of setting up each keystroke on the headunit itself, as in "teaching" it functions.

Here are some pics from the modification:

received_646182069152835.thumb.jpeg.41dccf9ec28f3027be04221c8df616d4.jpeg received_398478247604522.jpeg

received_2326228254328125.jpegIMG_20191203_180126.thumb.jpg.0c2ab961acdea6a440c6025d2e40f88e.jpg

• Like 1

Unfortunately the selling of these items on Toyota Owners Club probably breaches the Club's terms and conditions for selling. 

1 hour ago, tsavman said:

Hello all,

I am using the "oem style" chinese android headunit), and also provided me an early development working PCB for my pre-Facelift E12.
This has been working flawlessly for more that 18months now, and Nick is reliable and trustworthy. 
As mentioned, it requires a small modification on the main wiring harness that was used to control the stock headunit, to pass the new (analog now) signal to the new headunit. After that, it's just a matter of setting up each keystroke on the headunit itself, as in "teaching" it functions.

Here are some pics from the modification:

IMG_20191203_180126.thumb.jpg.0c2ab961acdea6a440c6025d2e40f88e.jpg

Hi,

Your Andriod head unit looks a very good even  fit into the dashboard, assume there are no obvious gaps when viewed more from the side and no need for a fitting bezel. ?

Could you please let me know which make/model/seller you got yours from,  even if 18 months ago, expect they will have a simiar newer version.

If Niksta is watching , wonder if the post faceleft models 2004-2006 needs / will work with  one of your adapter with an Ardroid unit ?

Just wonder if you have internally cleaned your two digital displays, mine have a misty effect all the time as if its steaming up.

As Frostly mentions, such direct selling , even for such obselete models, is probably not allowed  but we can always pass on " Niksta  @  Greek Corollaclub forum (corollaclub.com) " to anyone else looking for such a unit.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, oldcodger said:

Hi,

Your Andriod head unit looks a very good even  fit into the dashboard, assume there are no obvious gaps when viewed more from the side and no need for a fitting bezel. ?

Could you please let me know which make/model/seller you got yours from,  even if 18 months ago, expect they will have a simiar newer version.

If Niksta is watching , wonder if the post faceleft models 2004-2006 needs / will work with  one of your adapter with an Ardroid unit ?

Just wonder if you have internally cleaned your two digital displays, mine have a misty effect all the time as if its steaming up.

As Frostly mentions, such direct selling , even for such obselete models, is probably not allowed  but we can always pass on " Niksta  @  Greek Corollaclub forum (corollaclub.com) " to anyone else looking for such a unit.

Correct, it is an OEM fitment. No gaps and no bezel required.
I won't post any links, to avoid getting this thread closed. but the headunit is still on sale on major online shops.
Mine is a 4GB RAM model, which is top of the line, came with android 8 but there are also custom roms availalbe in xda, already running android 9. Those headunits are using PX5-PX6 chipsets, which is as good as you can get..
The facelift models, do not need such modification. The signal from the steering wheel controls is analog, and will work directly with this android headunit. -which also includes the harness.
The two smaller displays below have white LEDs behind them. The rest of the center console has the red TS bulbs (although my E12 is not a TS). Hence I had my steering wheel controls also made with red lighting. 

I'm not here to judge the rules, but paying back the cost of engineering + shipping on something that can possibly help a lot of owners bring their cars "up to date" doesn't look bad to me. We are not talking shops or big production numbers here, these are selfmade PCBs made to solve a specific issue.

IMG_20190521_190226.jpg

IMG_20181010_135503.jpg

IMG_20181016_122316.jpg

Edited by tsavman
Adding some photos
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, tsavman said:

We are not talking shops or big production numbers here, these are selfmade PCBs made to solve a specific issue.

If an exception is made for one, then it sets a precident. So the terms and conditions stand.