Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chip tuning. As bad as I've read?

Vin (Code) Diesel

I've just bought a 2005 Avensis 2.0 D4D (1CD-FTV).  260,000km (160k miles)

I've been thinking of getting a performance chip for it, potentially boosting performance from 116bhp to 147bhp and torque from 280nm to 355nm.

Depending where I go that would set me back about €3-500, mainly ordering from the likes of Germany and Belgium.

My colleague speaks German so he did some digging, initially for a brand called CPA and then just in general and the consensus on some German forums was "leave well alone"!

Either the changes were such that the difference was not very noticeable or the higher temperatures and pressure make small work of turbos, radiators and DPFs.

I'd love more go, but not if it means an engine rebuild. So right now, I'm rather put off.

What are your experiences?

Increasing the performance in this way obviously imposes considerable additional loads on the engine, turbo, clutch and transmission components. You are making everything work harder. IMHO doing this to a 15 year old car with 160k miles is tempting fate....  just be glad its still running and can get you from A to B.  One of my cars is a 20 year old Camry with 400k km - I'm thankful that it still runs great and drive it very gently.

• Like 1

My thoughts exactly, leave well alone I know some the early 2000's diesels are mechanical injection

Imho the best bit of tuning you could do is a full service, that breathes life back into most engines

• Like 2

This is pretty much the conclusion I've reached.  Perhaps one of those pedal tunes to improve responsiveness but beyond that....nah!

Seems my modest dreams of a 300bhp, 400nm, economic, (possibly amphibious) family car for €2500 may not be as achievable as I'd hoped!

It may be achievable, but probably not long lasting, by the sound of things, lol.

For that sort of power the gearbox will not last long if its manual the torque will kill the standard clutch, I would not put any more strain on that engine without a full rebuild and uprated parts, then it's a case of how deep are your pockets

Of course, increase in performance is non-standard and your insurance company then has an interest.       
I would have thought big increases in performance are best obtained by buying a vehicle already manufactured to give what you want.  I just look for easy ways through life.

• Like 1

I've just bought the T180 on a 06 plate with 121k on the clock for £1500. If you wanted more bhp that seems the easiest way to do it.