Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Somebody please help

Mo S

Ive got a 2008 Toyota Auris and for some reason it does not start. I noticed this today. When i put the key into the ignition, the dashboard lights come on as normal and I am still able to access my radio, phone charger however the car itself does not start. Can someone please help me and instruct me of what to do. I have very bad car knowledge so please bare with me.

Diesel or petrol? Any sound when the ignition is turned to start?

Thanks for replying. Its a petrol and there is no sound when ignition is turned to start.

Have you had any recent problems at all recently or in the past.?

13 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Have you had any recent problems at all recently or in the past.?

Never. This is the first time this is happening. The car does not crank, neither start. However the dashboard lights are showing as normal.

I had the same on my Avensis d4d. If temperature went below -5.4C it would not respond. It turned out that it was a well known Toyota flaw caused by a transistor in the starter motor. The starter had to be replaced. (got 50% off from Toyota)

Or even a bad 12v Battery with sufficient charge to run the dash etc. but not enough to turn the starter motor?

Do you main headlights turn on, everything switched on that you can.     
I don’t know the answer but something inside telling me Battery. Are connections tight and clean.

If the lights don’t dim when trying to crank it, then the problem is identified as the starter isn’t being switched on (whatever the make or model). 
The question then is why it isn’t being switched. 

Back in the old days there might have been a simple relay that you could hit to unjam it, but it might well now be a transistor not switching on the relay. (Which sounds like the known problem mentioned above.) But it could even be a problem with the dashboard switch... lots of possibilities. 

With a manual gearbox, one could reasonably expect the car to start from a push or tow start, which should allow you to get it to a garage for sorting out. 

If an automatic, it sounds like you are probably going to have to call someone out to the car. In that case, I wonder if joining Toyota Roadside Assistance would be cost effective?

Thick floormat stopping clutch pedal being depressed fully?... I don't think we know what engine this is or whether auto/manual. 

check you are getting 12v on the starter wire from the ignition switch

incase you may have a worn ignition switch in need of replacing

• Like 1

Fault description matches what happened to my old Avensis, a few years ago. The Battery was good and jump starting made no difference. All other items like lights central locking and radio worked fine. The ignition switch failed. Took about 20 minutes to change. Toyota was known for this failure, and when the switch finally gave up, I was only a short walking distance from the dealer. 
Not sure if the Auris has a new design but I did a check on the part number which is shared with the Avensis T27, - http://www.japan-parts.eu/?parttt=&part=84450-12200&regi=EU&cars=ok

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2006/auris-corolla-jpp/nde150l-ahmnyw/2_165510_009_344W/electrical/8401_switch-relay-computer/5?pnn=84450

image.thumb.png.17204a85ce308e82125b83a742c8d787.pngimage.thumb.png.4af4dd4b998ab4d322134f2c007cbff9.png 

It looks like you just remove the lower steering cowling/cover, undo securing screws, then unplug the switch. This is only a guess looking at the diagram. 
If I am correct then you will only need to buy the switch. If I knew another test procedure, like jumping the terminals of the switch to see if the starter works, I would let you know.   
An auto electrician should find the fault quickly.