Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice on OBD2 app for Yaris Hybrid

Sampleman

Hi there,

I have a 2016 Toyota Yaris Hybrid and an iPhone 6. Just recently, I bought myself an OBD2 interface plug ELM 327, but I haven't tried it yet.

Do you have any advices for me about using the interface?

Which app should I use?

How to set up the whole stuff?

What information will I get, which options will I have?

I have looked around on the Apple iTunes App Store, but I could not find any app which deals with Toyota Hybrids. I would like to see things like Battery condition, oil temperature or engine revs.

Any help is appreciated.

Best regards from Bavaria

Frank

• 4 weeks later...

Moved to the Yaris club.

On 12/6/2019 at 10:59 PM, Sampleman said:

............ I have a 2016 Toyota Yaris Hybrid and an iPhone 6 ................

As far as I'm aware, the OBD phone app is one that isn't supported with an Apple device ............ sadly.

I have an iPhone 6s.

Mick.

Hi,

If you are still looking for this, I would suggest getting an old, cheap android phone or tablet, and dedicate it to using the Hybrid Assistant app.

It certainly gives you those things you listed and a whole lot more hybrid information as well.  Most impressive.

This is their FAQ page:  http://hybridassistant.blogspot.com/p/faq.html

• Thanks 1

Actually, this is what I did. I had an old Google Nexus 4 (which had been pretty impressive five years ago), I installed the OBD2 interface plug, connected it via bluetooth with the phone and tried some apps. Unfortunately the praised Hybrid Assistant not only requires an Android phone, it also requires a certain type of OBD2 interface plug. It did not communicate with my plug which I had purchased online before. A suitable plug would cost me more than 70 GBP.

However, I was able to scan a few data like engine revs and water temperature.

Best regards

The OBD2 ELM327 plug that I am using is a few years old now, so I have no link available for you to see one similar, but it cost £10, and looks exactly the same as so many others (transparent blue)! 

I only use Hybrid Assistant infrequently, but it does all the simple measurements that I want it to do, although my cheap plug is not always 100% reliable in getting a connection initially.  I think this is the plug rather than the phone.  It doesn't happen often enough to need to investigate further.

Best regards  

Back a few years ago, we had a Fiat 500 and it was PC orientated and I bought the OBD connectors and a cheap secondhand PC laptop plus the MultiECUscan software.

I could get rid of the awful squealing seatbelt warning, turn off the daylight running lights (that the bulbs would regularly blow and were a pain to get at) and reset the service light as I did my own servicing. Still have the PC and the software plus the connectors ................ but not a Fiat 500.

If I could get rid of the seatbelt warnings on our Yaris Hybrid, I would pay the necessary.  We have a long track down to the gate, and I see no reason at all to fit a seatbelt to do 100yds+ to open the gate. 

Mick.

1 hour ago, Mick F said:

If I could get rid of the seatbelt warnings on our Yaris Hybrid

I have an idea that the 'Dr.Hybrid' android app has some free features that might be of use to you, although most are paid-for.  It is certainly free to download

Obviously, you would need an OBD2 ELM327 dongle as well as an android phone, but the app offered two easily operated functions for turning off the continuous reverse warning beeps and turning off the seat belt warnings.  I can't remember if I experimented with these buttons on our Auris (I had turned these off with Techstream beforehand), but It is reported to work on Prius with no problem.  I can't remember if you have tried this?

HTH.

• Thanks 1

Thanks.

Why do you need a dongle, when you could have the physical OBD connectors to USB?  Is there not a computer program rather than using a mobile phone?

Dunno if I still have the connectors or not ............ I'd have to search in the shed ................. but I still have the cheapo secondhand PC with the the Fiat/Lancia software loaded.  No doubt a Toyota program exists somewhere out there?

Mick.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links