Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dropping fuel consumption on hybrid yaris

Gattiman

Hi everyone, 

Being new to any forum I am not sure of how I should raise my issue, but if anyone can give me some advice I would be very grateful. 

My situation is as follows: bought 5 year old yaris hybrid from main dealer16 months ago with 35k on the clock with main dealer full service record, I have covered 7k in that time. My big problem is that my fuel consumption has gone down from 75mpg to 58mpg, I have had an oil service with new air filter, and a replacement rear exhaust box. 

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. 

Much obliged in advance. 

Regards

Deejay

It's colder and the engine runs richer for a longer period of time. My consumption has deteriorated considerably recently, but I've been doing many more short journeys as well.

What's your usage like?

I am all down in the mid 50s in my Yaris Hybrid. Trying turning the heater off once the car has warmed up I think it does spend more time in EV then

The heater kills the MPG, if your doing short journeys take it for a long run and get the engine nice and hot - the cold also effects the Battery pack too

So, this is your second winter with this car, did you experience worse mpg last winter?     
Most hybrid owners I hear suffer a drop in winter. Reasons, takes longer for engine to warm up, then cools down quicker so has to run to warm up again, usually more use of heater and lights, batteries don like the cold(same with AA or AAA batteries).

58 mpg at this time of year sounds about right to me.  I'm currently getting 57 mpg with my Yaris Hybrid and expect it to drop to about 53 MPG if we get a really cold spell.  In the summer I get around 60 mpg. How are you measuring consumption? I've never seen 75 mpg over a tankful of fuel!

Its expected to drop a bit in winter, currently i'm getting 57.5mpg out of my 2015 Yaris Excel Hybrid 1.5 which aint bad. Main lights are on for longer periods as well as the air con which all affects mpg.

If you are new to driving hybrids it does take a while to be good  at driving the hybrid way,  maximising the economy (hyper miling) by keeping to a speed and throttle input that makes the most use of EV mode, resisting booting it (though it is fun)  and making the best use of what engine braking is available to you .

A fuel additive really works as well, keeps the injectors clean thus a more efficient burn and ultimately better mpg

Thanks for such a fast response. 

I must admit that the fuel figure didn't come up last winter. I think my concern was the fact that I had an after market rear exhaust box fitted and somehow thought that had an effect. 

I must say that the general experience with the yaris is better than I thought. 

Thanks for your help. 

Regards

Deejay. 

I must thank everyone who has responded to my post. 

Fantastic help, you all have subdued my fears. 

Thanks 

Deejay 

6 hours ago, Gattiman said:

I have had an oil service with new air filter, and a replacement rear exhaust box. 

You mention a oil change service, what oil was used?

1 hour ago, Devon Aygo said:

You mention a oil change service, what oil was used?

That was my thought - if the oil was replaced with a higher viscosity grade, that won't have helped especially as the weather gets colder.  If the invoice shows the grade of the oil it might be worth checking it against the spec listed in the manual.

It's also possible the exhaust could have an effect if it's not a Toyota original.

The owners manual should state that 0W-20 is the preferred oil - best oil for fuel economy and starting in cold weather.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links