Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Servicing Question for Avensis 2007 T180 2.2L

Frugality

Hi all,

I am trying to keep costs down, but at the same time, look after my car so it can serve me well into the future. (Definitely not in the position of affording another car!)

Some advice would be greatly appreciated!

It is now time to service the car, and I am wondering, is it worth while buying an original service kit (including fuel filter) from a Toyota dealership for £80? Or should I just go with whatever bits the local garage uses?

Also, how much should I be looking to pay for the labour for this work to be done?

Thanks in advance!

It’s definitely worth using quality products, your car will appreciate it.     
Pity you didn’t list what was included for the £80.  A large part of the cost I suspect  would be the engine oil. You can buy genuine Toyota oil on eBay, just make sure you purchase the grade Toyota recommend.  Oil filter - important, air filter - important, even the cabin filter, if fitted, is important. Check out if a special tool is needed for the oil filter, I haven’t a clue what type of filter is fitted.

Hi Catlover,

This is what was included:

yPFjqWr.png

Well, I look at that list again and again, but I cannot see how there is only £5.43 plus vat for engine oil. Is there an explanation?

5 hours ago, Catlover said:

Well, I look at that list again and again, but I cannot see how there is only £5.43 plus vat for engine oil. Is there an explanation?

I think the Toyota dealer is offering their 'to the taxi trade' service kit, it's an 'off the peg' deal if you know to ask the right service person at the dealer. It is discounted over the separate parts, obviously.  On the Prius one (when I looked) the (0w/20) oil gets costed as free on the invoice.  So maybe not worth looking at anything beyond the total, as it probably only comes as that complete set, with the individual prices being a bit arbitrary.

I would expect that Toyota have carefully priced that bundle to be competitive with, say, EuroCarParts.  The quality will be top-notch, but you may not need to replace all the filters at every service (oil excepted, of course). 

• Thanks 1

Thank you Gerg. I am guessing the price is worth it for a service kit like this?

And how much should I pay for the servicing to be done?

I think it's good value if you need all the parts for the service that is due.  I think you might beat some of the prices elsewhere, but that doesn't mean better value.  I'd rather pay 10-15% (if that much at all) more and know that they are all arguably the best parts for your car, regardless of price.

This link https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/service-mot-maintenance/fullplus-service-details gives a list of the main dealer and its price for the biggest service Toyota do (not including brake parts, fitting etc.) for your car, if you join their service club, which is free and is just available for cars over 5 years old, then you'll get 20% off that listed price, or 20% off the 2 other service prices shown further into the website, i.e. interim and full.

I don't expect you to go to the main dealer for servicing, but it'll give you an idea what they do and for how much.  I'm afraid I have very little idea about service labour prices in London.  I'm sure someone else will post who does.

For long-term ownership this guide might help to identify the car's weak points:- https://good-garage-guide.honestjohn.co.uk/mot/toyota/avensis/2007

And maybe the same site might lead you to a good local independent service garage.

Also, some Avensis of your era have a problem with corroded brake pipes behind the rear wheel arch liner.  This would be so much cheaper to remedy before it fails an MoT test, if yours is one of the ones affected.  It would be worth your while looking into this!