Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Limited wheel choice on new Corolla?

superclarkey

Hi, Just ordered a new Corolla and the wheels I wanted where not available for that model, however all the promo pictures show them on the car.

the 18” wheels that come on the excel hatch.

not available on the touring? Any idea why not?

think they are toyota part number 42611-12E10

thanks

If you're looking at the brochure photos, there is a disclaimer which states not all pictures are to UK specification - which is standard amongst most manufacturers.

24 minutes ago, superclarkey said:

Hi, Just ordered a new Corolla and the wheels I wanted where not available for that model, however all the promo pictures show them on the car.

the 18” wheels that come on the excel hatch.

not available on the touring? Any idea why not?

think they are toyota part number 42611-12E10

thanks

Its all to do with UK VED rates and WLTP regulations the larger wheels on the Tourer would put the car in a higher VED bracket and require Homologation of an additional model type just for the UK, which costs a lot of money. As we a relatively small market its not cost effective to do so, fitting 17" wheels keeps the VED rate the same as a Hatchback and means the emissions stay the same as a HB which avoids the additional homologation costs.

Would this be an MOT failure to fit these wheels aftermarket? (i’m aware nee cars don’t need to take a test for 3 years)

I thought this might be the case and confirms what I originally thought.

my plan is to buy a set and sell the new wheels off the car.  Also because the car comes with really rubbish tyres out of the factory too.

Nope not an issue, its only how the car is sold that's regulated 

Would fitting different sized wheels be of interest to the car insurance company?

Yes, if you want to stay legal best is to note the insurance, on paper it is a modification despite in some other markets it is an option when ordering. 17” wheels are more suitable and I think are the best size for that car but if you don’t like them then just buy the one you like, or maybe swap with someone that has a hatchback excell trim. 

Moving away from the standard spec would be something the insurer would want to know - most policies require the owner to confirm there are no changes. 

Presumably changing the wheels after delivery would mean the new wheels are covered by the accessory warranty (1 year) rather than the new car warranty (5 years/100,000 miles).

You're looking at £1200-1500 for the rims plus tyres and tpms sensors with fitting on top and maybe an additional charge to register the tpms

Alt part number. 42611-02R40

Hey, Wheels are ordered.

I will swap the TPMS over from old wheels if not I will order some, no big deal.  They should automatically register, most cars work this way, if not I'll plug in and program them as I run a garage so have the tools to do that very easily.

Tyres are a cost I would have had to upgrade anyways, as the Falkens that come on there are terrible, presume they used them to get extra MPG as they are very hard tread wear.  Will want something a bit quieter for the road and better.  

as for the insurance I will tell them, no issue at all, very cheap insurance anyways. 

Warranty, will be fine, dealership is going to fit them at the factory before I take delivery of the car, even if its 1 year, who cares, tyres come with there own mileage warranty anyways.

Will keep other wheels for winter use.

Waiting for delivery date now.

On 12/8/2019 at 1:55 PM, flash22 said:

You're looking at £1200-1500 for the rims plus tyres and tpms sensors with fitting on top and maybe an additional charge to register the tpms

Alt part number. 42611-02R40

From what I could see the part number you've given is for 18x7J Wheels with ET50 offset, the 42611-12E10 is 18x8J ET40 which I belive is the correct wheel.

8 hours ago, superclarkey said:

as for the insurance I will tell them, no issue at all, very cheap insurance anyways.

I'd be interested to know if they charge you more for changing the wheels?

14 hours ago, superclarkey said:

From what I could see the part number you've given is for 18x7J Wheels with ET50 offset, the 42611-12E10 is 18x8J ET40 which I belive is the correct wheel.

Either would do, although the 8J is the one fitted to the Excel.  The 7J with 50mm offset would be a couple of millimetres closer to the suspension, but 12mm or so further into the wheelarch.

If you're interested in comparing tyres and rims etc, a good site is tyresize.com.

I can’t find any info on centre bore so wouldn’t worth risking it.

will stick with the 8J rim so I can hold a wider tyre.