Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Roof Rails mottled

Jiff

Hi just wondered if anyone has come across the mottling on the roof rails on the Corolla TS. I picked the ex demonstrator up last week 8 months old, and discovered the mottling on the roof rails once they dried, which took a few days in the weather we've been having.

It looks like the anodising (if that's whats used) has failed. It feels smooth so I wonder if there's a coating on the rails? 

Is there any way to clean it? Just a gentle rub doesn't work, and I don't want to make it worse.

As a last resort how difficult are they to replace? 

I'll have a chat with the local dealer tomorrow to see what they say, but wondered if anyone has any experience of this sort of thing.

Thanks 

Jiff

1269733400_Roofrailtarnishing.thumb.jpg.8dd4172eaf08049bf038f6588fa4b553.jpg

Not car wash residue - ie washed and not dried with a microfibre cloth or similar.

I'm hoping it will be covered under warranty but I know how some company's wriggle.

I've tried a damp cloth and car wash fluid and about 1/2 inch square with Autosol metal cleaner but nothing seems to get rid of it.

I'm not worried about it if it can be cleaned but can't see how. Hopefully a dealer will know. Perhaps the first production run had a fault?

Jiff

Hi, this can happen from the windscreen washing detergent, maybe too strong mixture and aluminium has got chemical reaction. There might be a way to remove with some valeting stuff but don’t know what exactly will do it for you, you may want to research for yourself and try more methods, something that works on aluminium wheels perhaps. Best is to consult with pro valeter who have done many cars. Maybe get in touch with that guy from the video if he can be of some help to you. 

https://youtu.be/q8jEaw5XfHQ

Good luck  

• 3 weeks later...

Just to let anybody know it's being done under warranty on early Jan 2020. The warranty guy has never seen anything like this before. It's booked in for 2 days as they've never changed the rails before so don't really know how big a job it'll be! 

From my experience (2 warranty claims in 15 years) never any wriggle