Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo (real) fuel economy

Hal Mercier

After reading about 60 something mpg I thought I'd check the real figures on my 2010 base model....it has no onboard computer so no average consumption reading.

I filled the tank to brim full, zeroed the trip, and refilled when the gauge display started flashing. It had 673km on the trip, and took 34 litres.

This gives 5.05 litres per 100 km, which is 55.93mpg. I wasn't driving it hard, and was expecting better.

What figures are reckoned normal?

I was a bit heavy footed in the last fortnight, filled up this morning 28.80 litres when she had done 290 miles, so that's 45.78 mpg. Automated clutch so not much difference from a manual in terms of mpg.

check out my fuel logs on fuelly. I never miss logging a fill up. If you are getting anything over 50 that sounds good. I will be doing some really long runs for work in the new year and hope to get 50+

892976.png

Mpg is a bit of a myth, I can get 60plus on aygo or down in 40s.

all down to style of driving, terrain , type of drive ie urban, rural, motorway etc

• Like 1

I usually get about 5.5L/100km (sorry but I am posting from my mobile, so no conversion handy) on a typical daily 880km commute to work and back, consisting of parts with highways (open road) and parts with traffic (sometimes heavy). I drive very conservatively.

I drive a 2016 X-Shift model (semi-auto). During summer, when traffic is much less, I go down to 5.2 if all goes well.

I always log my fill-ups and only when I go higher than 5.8-6.0L/100km I start getting worried.

I have an accurately calibrated Scangauge on my Aygo and on my normal runs it gives a reading of 54-56 mpg . If AC is on it is less and if the weather is cold, it is also less.

Interesting, thanks guys. So it seems my figures are about normal for mixed driving....I'm relieved.

I will do a circumference test to be certain that the 165/50 R14 alloys are identical to the 155/50 R14 spare, which is presumably the original size fitted before the wheels were changed.

As I typed that I realised that if those figures are correct, the circumference of the new tyres must be slightly greater, which would mean I clocked rather more than the 673km, which would mean the fuel economy is slightly better than I thought. Not much, but a bit.

Lol those figures are impressive and I personally would have been very happy with,  this is a great fuel consumption from a simple petrol powered car. 

3 hours ago, johnan said:

I have an accurately calibrated Scangauge on my Aygo and on my normal runs it gives a reading of 54-56 mpg . If AC is on it is less and if the weather is cold, it is also less.

That's interesting, how much less would you say with AC on?

I don't care what i get to the gallon, its still cheaper than filling my 3 litre diesel up, was mean't to be a spare care, now it is the main one.  😊

I would expect the AC to cause higher consumption as it takes a fair bit of power to run it, but I'm surprised to hear simply cold weather increases consumption.....why would it do this? I'd have guessed the colder air would slightly increase engine efficiency...as it'd tend to make the ingoing fuel mix denser.

On tyres, in fact when I checked the OE tyres on steel wheels were 155/65 R14, or 1749mm circumference, the ones on my alloy wheels are 165/60R14 or 1740 circumference.so about 0.49%, giving a slight under read on the trip meter, but really not enough to fuss about.

Aygostu's figures are high, but that's mostly due to a 50% urban cycle use.

Pytheas.....880km daily commute? I hope someone else is paying for the fuel.....and rather you than me!

Fortunately I live in SW France and am retired, so no more commuting, and if I want to drive fast/competitively I can, but not in the Aygosaur.

That's what trackdays are for.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just filled the Aygo for the first time since 10 Dec. It was still going strong and had just over 717km on the trip.

It took 35.1 litres, giving 4.88 litres/100km, or 57.88 mpg (Imperial not US)

I don't think my driving was any different to the first tank. The sole significant difference is that I changed oil and filter, though the oil was fine, I didn't know what viscosity it was, nor even whether it was 100% synthetic.

I filled with Amsoil 0W20, which is the Toyota recommended viscosity. It's also best (for economy and performance) to fill to the half fill point on the stick. This all helps reduce unnecessary internal friction in the oil, which wastes power...

Next, I'll check the tyre pressure which I haven't done yet. If they are less than the spec, a few psi will help.

• 2 weeks later...

im getting    around 48-51 mpg on mine    just using it for the 16 mile round trip   to work   and   scooting about,    motorway  travelling   got  around  60 mpg iirc  on it   the last time i checked  

On 1/2/2020 at 7:56 PM, silky1873 said:

im getting    around 48-51 mpg on mine    just using it for the 16 mile round trip   to work   and   scooting about,    motorway  travelling   got  around  60 mpg iirc  on it   the last time i checked  

That's what I would expect....I've done zero motorway so far but should top 60mpg as things are.

I'm well chuffed with the little mouse car, and as the Yoshimura transformation is now in an advanced state, bodywise, it is starting to look quite interesting too.

It's a sort of an attempt at visual humour, motorcyclists of the Japanese sports/racebike fraternity will understand it immediately, but almost no-one else!

I'm waiting for new power packs for my camera....I don't have a cable to download from the phone.

My onboard counter is showing 47mpg but I've started using 'fuel log' app which is showing only 42mpg. Although the car is a month old so maybe still running in, I drive like a grandma so more than a bit disappointed that it isn't higher 

On 1/6/2020 at 9:58 PM, Lokitheforestcat said:

My onboard counter is showing 47mpg but I've started using 'fuel log' app which is showing only 42mpg. Although the car is a month old so maybe still running in, I drive like a grandma so more than a bit disappointed that it isn't higher 

I suggest you try the original method. Fill the tank till the pump cuts, using the same pump where possible.. Zero the trip counter.

At some point close to empty, fill the tank again till it cuts and note how much fuel you have used. Check the distance on the trip meter and write it down with the fuel used. Re-zero trip counter.

I find this is the most accurate way to get a reasonably reliable reading, though less accurate than an "official" reading, in which an exact measured volume of fuel in a calibrated glass container is run till empty, the trip meter checked, before switching back to the normal fuel supply..This gives a very precise economy reading as the exact volume used is known, so you can work out MPG by using just 1 litre, for whatever the  driving conditions being tested.

I filled up again today and got 58.85mpg or 4.801 litres per 100km....still no motorway driving.

Work out the fuel used per 100km, or the MPG.

The newer cars from summer 2018 on have several engine changes including higher compresion supposedly to give better fuel consumption.