Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Next Aygo could be electric?

FROSTYBALLS

Interesting but not surprising!

the cheapest EV car i have seen is the renault zoe at the price of £18,420

if toyotas new version of the aygo is ev would you possibly pay in the region

of £18,420 for one??

i have recently looked into EV in the form of the E-Golf it really isnt a viable option

charge takes too long ,range is far too short and any saving for me about £5 / week

just doesnt make EV's appealing

I know that this isn't going to win me a lot of friends but there are a few things that really worry me and that nobody has answered about fully electric cars.

The first is...rechargeable batteries, eventually they don't hold their charge any more and have to be replaced.  You can't even put AA batteries in your wheely bin any more so how are the batteries out of electric cars going to be disposed of...Also what is going to be the cost of replacement?

I really like the idea of hydrogen cells, fill up with hydrogen (like we do with petrol) and the only pollutant to the planet is a dribble of water out of the exhaust.  Toyota and other Japanese manufacturers already have the technology ready to produce, so all we need are hydrogen pumps at filling stations and we are ready to go.

My worry is that Hydrogen cells are the real future, manufacturers are selling technology which is already outdated and in a few years time we will be having another "Scrappage Scheme" for Hybrid/Electric cars.

I don't expect to be Mr. Popular with views like that but is a real concern of mine.....Don't forget that a few years ago, diesel was the future!!!!

Thanks for letting me have a vent, Folks and may I wish you all a very merry Christmas!

All the best. :newyear:

On another forum, a member has highlighted that their six year old Citroen C-Zero (Citroen version of the Mitsubishi iMiev) needs its convertor replacing at a cost of around £3,000. The defunct convertor means the car can no longer be charged. No help from Citroen, although the dealer has offered a 10% discount.

Same here, both the predecessor cars to our 107 and 108 lasted 25 years+ and hoping the 107 and 108 will last just as long, our 107 is 12 years old and still going strong, will an EV and it's batteries last as long, not so sure, and not heard mention of Battery recycling and any enviro nasties in the batteries? Agree with Orange, I always thought hydrogen fuel cell looked better bet than electric, quick easy fill etc, but powers that be continue to push electric.

An interesting aside, a friend's neighbour worked for Renault and got a Zoe a few years ago, nice, but he then retired, so the Zoe went and he bought a 60s Ford Mustang V8!

Still will be too expensive and I don't see my mileage decreasing for many years so will still like the comfort of a normal petrol engine to get from A to B.

I am not optimistic about the future of the smallest segment in Europe. As the article says, many automakers abandoned it. Firstly, small cars are too expensive to be interesting, in many brands, the A segment (Renault Clio, Ford Fiesta) offers much more polyvalence for a price slightly above the sub-A segment (Renault Twingo, Ford Ka+). Secondly, in some countries such as France, stupid taxes lead manufacturers to give up producing small city cars.

An electric or even hybrid Aygo would be different from an Aygo: more pollution to produce, more weight, less trunk capacity, much more expensive...

Personally, I just want kei-cars: affordable tiny cars with tiny naturally-aspirated petrol engines.

• 5 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links