Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fitting a new battery

Ken57

Hi Everyone,

My Yaris T-Spirit 2011 has the TNS410 fitted as standard.

I am planning to replace the Battery (the first replacement in 8+ years) but need to first ask if any 'Radio Code' is required.

I have had the car from new and have no recollection of ever having seen, or knowledge of, any code.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I have a 2010 Yaris, have changed the Battery a couple of times, never had a problem with the radio other than losing the stations. What may happen is that the ECU will lose the Idle speed and need to learn it again as you drive, usually takes about 30 mins to settle down again.

If worried, a small Battery device plugs into the lighter socket  and will stop data loss.

I think you'll find on the OP's model the lighter socket is only live with the ignition on, so any power supply plugged into it would have to have enough capacity to maintain the ignition circuit for the time the Battery is disconnected.

Changed Battery in the summer on a 1.33 StartStop 2010 and there is no code or anything, just needed to set the clock. Isn't the Yaris a victory of simplicity, logic and robustness over all the gadgets they stuff into cars now days? (Apart from the bloddy passenger side high beam bulb).

^ That pretty much sums it up... you can disconnect and reconnect the Battery with no issues apart from having to retune the radio. I wouldn't faff about trying to keep the electronics alive long enough to remember settings as that could easily cause other issues and is fraught with difficulty in keeping the supply voltage constant if you try and cobble leads together to connect at the main terminals. You could easily introduce problems which would need then a reset to put right.

Just disconnect the old battery and when refitting be sure to have the negative clamp (fit that one last) open enough so that you can firmly and decisively push the clamp onto the terminal and then while holding it down firmly tighten just sufficiently to firmly hold.  

In reply to Shavestick comment on the front light, it's easier to move the front bumper panel, just a few pop up clips, undo the nuts holding the headlight in pull the whole headlight clear. With practice, takes about 5 mins with no swearing involved.

In reply to Shavestick comment on the front light, it's easier to move the front bumper panel, just a few pop up clips, undo the nuts holding the headlight in pull the whole headlight clear. With practice, takes about 5 mins with no swearing involved.
Yep. After practicing it does take around 5 to ten minutes.
Tips for changing the bulb:

1. Use the longest life bulb you can get so you don't need to do it again any time soon

2. Don't bother with the stupid pin clips as they get brittle and shears off, galvanized garden wire is cheaper and last for ever

3.Re-Adjust the light position if needed so it can pass the Mot every time you remove the entire lens assembly to get to the stupid bulb

What was wrong with round glass lenses?!

1 hour ago, Shavestick said:

What was wrong with round glass lenses?!

Remember 7" sealed beam headlights? Seemed wonderful at the time, until halogens came along, then HIDs, then LEDs.........................................................................................

• 1 month later...

I just changed the wife's Battery and didn't realise if it's got stop start, and you don't store the codes it disables the stop start when Battery reconnected, so I've been informed. I sure as hell am not going to Toyota for them to code the Battery in for the stop start to work, I didn't like it anyway even with the disabling button on centre console.

12 minutes ago, wildtapholer said:

I just changed the wife's battery and didn't realise if it's got stop start, and you don't store the codes it disables the stop start when battery reconnected, so I've been informed. I sure as hell am not going to Toyota for them to code the battery in for the stop start to work, I didn't like it anyway even with the disabling button on centre console.

According to Shavestick, on 19th December, upon disconnecting a Battery in a Stop/start Yaris the only thing to reset is the time on your clock. So seems your frustrations are all in vain 😄

I don't think the wife has noticed the clock yet, coz I haven't reset it yet, but the garage did say there's a gadget you plug in the mains plug the other end in cig lighter, remove Battery, put new Battery in the remove cig plug and codes saved, I did notice that it didn't idle very well, but that was covered in another thread about the ecu has to go through a learning curve again about your driving, I best get the hand book out about altering the clock.

Mrpj on Dec 13th remarked all is needed is 9v “smoke alarm” Battery connected across Battery cables is enough to keep the clock “ticking over” whilst you change battery.