Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.0ltr Hybrid transmission info?

superclarkey

I just found it strange how I was willing to pay for stuff but you not allowed stuff lol seems backwards to me.

my last vehicle was a range rover so having the experience to be able to spec it how I wanted and then having it built to order seems like the normal.

toyota is here is the car, we can stick some bits on when it arrives other than that take it or leave it...  wants some plastic chrome stick on yeah we can do that no problem... wheels? No way, lol

The wheel/tyre size is all down to type approval and emissions (contact patch, rolling resistance, etc.)

tbh its sales not knowing the product, if its not on the computer you can't have it, now if you ask the parts guys you can get them ordered in but there not going to be cheap

They said was not allowed to order them full stop, couldn’t be supplied as an accessory and only way would be to order them and fit them myself, but if I ordered them elsewhere they would fit them for me... 

I found that strange.

I understand why wheels where not allowed, but many other options have no reason... heated steering wheel? Electric tailgate (before this year), HUD.

just saying they make it so the only real options you can have is some plastic chrome and a boot liner and thats about itZ

On 12/15/2019 at 10:07 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

The 1.2T has been dropped from the Corolla and C-HR 2020 ranges for the UK.

OK, They thought they would only sell a few, the 1.8 cvt was always expected to be the best seller. So no manual gear box for UK? Strangely, USA get manual 2 ltr box, in the land where many more drivers have only ever driven an auto box.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hey guys,

Was just wondering if the "S" transmission mode maintains the selected gear even when reaching the rev limiter.

I own a CHR 2.0 but since it is brand new (just 60 miles on the clock) I do not want to test it myself 🙂

Thanks in advance,

Others may not want to test it for similar reasons.

On 12/15/2019 at 12:28 PM, TonyHSD said:

No driven belt in ecvt transmission, US version with physical first gear is a standard cvt with belt and pulley and specifically for 2.0 petrol dynamic force engine. In the Uk 2.0 hybrid variant comes with pedal shifters at leats for the highest excell trim, don’t think they very useful because it is all artificial and in real world doesn’t help much. Specs are so different for the different regions, saloon for example bought from Ireland comes with a lot more toys that the ones sold in UK, estates in Europe higher trims comes with 18” wheels too, list goes on and on. Yes sales persons and auto journalists  most of the time has no idea what are they talking about and mislead many people, best to do a homework yourself before visiting dealer ships. 

5944CDD9-4EAE-4382-9509-D82ED4C2601C.jpeg

I had paddles on all my Honda Jazz (three versions). They were useful for performing a manual kick down (blip up twice to get to the red line, then switch back to CVT mode as you floor the accelerator) and for eliciting engine braking when going downhill. I used that when leaving the office to help warm the engine up (slightly) on the drive down to the gate.

The first CVT had a button that gave two modes: CVT or 7-speed (which you could either leave to shift itself or you could do all the work with the paddles). It would always return to CVT mode when stationary but otherwise stayed where you put it. I tried driving it in 7-speed mode a few times but it suffered from poor choices (like changing up half way round a roundabout) so I soon gave it up.

The later versions dispensed with the button and only went into 7-speed mode if you used a paddle then would return to CVT mode 'shortly after'.

So I don't regret having no paddles on my 1.8.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
On 12/14/2019 at 6:37 PM, Timmon said:

Yes, the 2.0 has Ni Cad not Lion and the same battery warranty applies. I think it is to do with the more powerful electric motor. The batteries are capable of retaining more power, but are bigger and heavier, which is part of the reason why mpg is less.

I share your frustration on specs as there is much conflicting info out there, as many countries use different specs. I thought my car was coming with a CVT that incorporated a  fixed launch gear, but in the UK the CVT does not have this. That spec is for the USA. Then someone from the USA said I could not have a panoramic roof with 2ltr, but that applies to the USA not UK, etc, etc. I think the restriction on towing weight is due to belt driven CVT (that is what I was told by the dealer) if you want to toe a caravan, you need the 1.2 ltr manual transmission.

My understanding is the UK 2.0ltr does come with launch gear 

1 hour ago, Daveya said:

My understanding is the UK 2.0ltr does come with launch gear 

2.0 in UK doesn't have the launch gear, has a NiMH Battery no chains or belts, paddleshifters and no B mode.

• Like 4

Only CVT gearbox-equipped cars can have a launch gear; None of the hybrids have a CVT gearbox. Or in fact, a gearbox, strictly speaking.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Only CVT gearbox-equipped cars can have a launch gear; None of the hybrids have a CVT gearbox. Or in fact, a gearbox, strictly speaking.

So basically a hybrid has an e-cvt which isn't really a CVT and doesn't have the launch 1st gear?

13 minutes ago, Daveya said:

So basically a hybrid has an e-cvt which isn't really a CVT and doesn't have the launch 1st gear?

:thumbup:

It's tricky if you want to be totally correct - The hybrid drive effectively works as a 'continuously variable transmission', which is why journalists keep calling it a CVT/eCVT gearbox when technically there is no gearbox, so really that's totally wrong, but I'm just being pedantic and confusing. (The Hybrid synergy drive/Power split device is really just a fancy differential, not a gearbox at all, but it is very good at pretending to be one)

In short you're correct, there is no separate 1st gear for launching.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Unless the epicyclic makes it a gearbox. It is afterall just a casing with a series of gears inside. Gearboxes are used throughout the engineering world not just in cars of course (pedant :biggrin:)

The funny thing is it doesn't, because the planetary gearset (What Toyota calls the Power Split Device) doesn't actually provide different gear ratios - It's the way the ICE interacts with MG1 that allows the system to 'fake' different gear ratios by MG1 spinning/counter-spinning with the ICE.

The PSD is really just a fancy differential, allowing all three shafts to spin at different speeds, with the ability to control the output speed of any one by controlling the input of the other two.

It's quite interesting to study e.g. with the Weber auto videos, and is unique in that it's the only drivetrain that is continuously engaged - No clutches or sliding/slipping friction surfaces at all - yet still provides different drive ratios! A very clever setup, and as the Car Care Nut guy likes to say, it's simple but complicated :laugh: 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Cyker said:

The funny thing is it doesn't, because the planetary geubikt (What Toyota calls the Power Split Device) doesn't actually provide different gear ratios - It's the way the ICE interacts with MG1 that allows the system to 'fake' different gear ratios by MG1 spinning/counter-spinning with the ICE.

The PSD is really just a fancy differential, allowing all three shafts to spin at different speeds, with the ability to control the output speed of any one by controlling the input of the other two.

It's quite interesting to study e.g. with the Weber auto videos, and is unique in that it's the only drivetrain that is continuously engaged - No clutches or sliding/slipping friction surfaces at all - yet still provides different drive ratios! A very clever setup, and as the Car Care Nut guy likes to say, it's simple but complicated :laugh: 

"The most basic definition of a gearbox is that it is a contained gear train, or a mechanical unit or component consisting of a series of integrated gears within a housing. In fact, the name itself defines what it is — a box containing gears. In the most basic sense, a gearbox functions like any system of gears; it alters torque and speed between a driving device like a motor and a load."

So doesn't necessarily need to provide different ratios.

• 1 year later...

My October 2021 Lexus UX250h I believe has the P711 eCVT with NiMh Battery and has S +/-, no paddle shifters. 17" wheels with 60 profile give a better ride than the 18" lower profiles. I was going to get a Corolla but the seat are narrow and the headroom non-existant. The Lexus is soooo much nicer.

• Thanks 1

The easiest thing you can do is open 3 speed shimano internal bike gear. It is simply sun gear = MG1 (charging and braking), MG2 = ring gear connected to wheel and, gasoline engine = planetary ( help MG2 moving the car). So, it is not cone,  chain,  nor belt drive. It is all gear with power splitter to devide which power comes from (engine or MG2). 

E-CVT  in Toyota system is probably the most reliable and simplest transmission design that still use combustion engine.  It has no clutch, torque converter, or belts. It is closer to differential rather than a Transmission in terms of mechanical complexity 

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

the ux250h has the P711 as printed on the B pillar sticker. no chain just gears. and it has NiMh Battery.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 10:10 AM, AndrueC said:

I had paddles on all my Honda Jazz (three versions). They were useful for performing a manual kick down (blip up twice to get to the red line, then switch back to CVT mode as you floor the accelerator) and for eliciting engine braking when going downhill. I used that when leaving the office to help warm the engine up (slightly) on the drive down to the gate.

The first CVT had a button that gave two modes: CVT or 7-speed (which you could either leave to shift itself or you could do all the work with the paddles). It would always return to CVT mode when stationary but otherwise stayed where you put it. I tried driving it in 7-speed mode a few times but it suffered from poor choices (like changing up half way round a roundabout) so I soon gave it up.

The later versions dispensed with the button and only went into 7-speed mode if you used a paddle then would return to CVT mode 'shortly after'.

So I don't regret having no paddles on my 1.8.

the P711 has S mode with +/- on the gear shift. 6 virtual gears. 

• Like 1