Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Audible noise for ev and hybrids

Cbatoday

But ev and hybrids does make noise very similar to that one just slightly quieter, there are daytime running lights too for safety, we don’t need artificial noises, noise from tyres and wind are enough, Louder sound are bad for people and environment. One car nothing, but 10of 1000s around us every day and here we have sound pollution. 

• Like 1

I have nearly run over more than a few going around car parks and on some junctions, tbh they need a new green cross code

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

But ev and hybrids does make noise very similar to that one just slightly quieter, there are daytime running lights too for safety, we don’t need artificial noises, noise from tyres and wind are enough, Louder sound are bad for people and environment. One car nothing, but 10of 1000s around us every day and here we have sound pollution. 

Visually impaired and blind people may have difficulty seeing daytime running lights, and it is these people sound generators are designed to help. You may not need sound generators to be aware of an approaching EV or hybrid, but some do.

At the end of the day legislation covering sound generators is here and here to stay.

• Like 3

It's pointless complaining about it as the decision has been made and is now law.

I've caught out or surprised several people now. There certainly is a need for some kind of noise.

• Like 1

As long as people walk round with head phones in it wont make a difference

Would be oblivious if it was a jumbo jet 

When does this new legislation come in force as it not on the MY20 Corollas, if it is I haven’t heard it?

The legislation took effect from 1st July 2019 for new types of 'quiet'electric and hybrid vehicles (new Type Approval after 1st July 2019), and from 1st July 2021 for all new 'quiet' electric and hybrid vehicles.

As the Corolla went on sale before 1st July 2019 and its Type Approval pre-dates 1st July 2019, the range doesn't need to comply until 2021. Although Toyota will probably fit these before 2021.

16 hours ago, Cbatoday said:

As long as people walk round with head phones in it wont make a difference

Would be oblivious if it was a jumbo jet 

.... but it will make a difference to visually impaired people (partially sighted and blind), and this is the group the legislation is designed to protect. It isn't rocket science to understand.

• Like 2

It would probably benefit normal people too. I often have to slowly drive along a quiet, narrow access road which is also frequented by walkers. They have to move aside to allow cars to pass. In warmer weather the car is usually on electric. Coming up almost silently behind walkers who are unaware of my approach means a choice of waiting until they notice me or having them jumping out of their skin with a close up beep of the horn. A little warble or whirr signalling my approach would certainly help in this circumstance!

I quite like the sound that VW have come up with!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

.... but it will make a difference to visually impaired people (partially sighted and blind), and this is the group the legislation is designed to protect. It isn't rocket science to understand.

If the option became available to fit one to your corolla hybrid pre 2021 would you have it fitted or would anyone else for that matter

30 minutes ago, Cbatoday said:

If the option became available to fit one to your corolla hybrid pre 2021 would you have it fitted or would anyone else for that matter

I haven't got a Corolla, which is evident from my profile.

On 12/15/2019 at 6:36 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

I haven't got a Corolla, which is evident from my profile.

Sorry I thought this was a corolla forum for corolla owners. 

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Cbatoday said:

Yes it is a Corolla forum. However, owners of other Toyotas are perfectly welcome to post within the Corolla forum, and the same applies to Corolla owners posting in the other forums such as the Yaris, Aygo, Auris clubs, etc.

As part of the moderating team (which I am), moderators do visit, moderate and post in all the forums of the Club.

If you have any other queries, please refer to the Forum Rules which you signed up to when you first registered.

Back to the topic subject .........

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cbatoday said:

There is a lot of benefit to Corolla hybrid owners from input by other Toyota hybrid owners.      
Corolla hybrids are relatively new to the UK market, whilst other Toyota hybrids have been on the UK market for up to 20 years. Lots of experience to draw from.
There will be a lot in common between the 1.8 systems in Corolla, Prius and Auris particularly.    
Also, I expect some technology in newer hybrids will be of interest to non Corolla owners, the Corolla hybrid could be their next car.

• Like 2

Totally agree. Interesting to hear from all hybrid owners on hybrid matters

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Hi, I have been driving a toyota hybrid cross and I feel that pedestrians and animals need more sound, from these cars, for better safety. Thankfully speeds in car parks are usually 5mph, but I have noticed that I can be behind people and they do not hear the car.  This is a concern and a worry. I purchased a hybrid, as I wanted to help with air pollution. I am concerned that the car has plenty of technical safety, but the lack of real car noise, is a massive concern for me. Other makes and hybrids are exactly the same.

I feel that humans are used to hearing a cars engine, when this car changes into EV mode, it is far too quiet!  More people need to voice on this, on all models of hybrids.  Lets get cars back to sounding like cars, please?

My opinion is that the quieter the cars the better is for environment including people and animals. Driver has responsibility to understand how it’s car works and to warn pedestrians and animals accordingly when he sees they are not responding, for example when starting off traffic lights and you are the first car people does not hear a noise and keep crossing, just use the horn and everyone been noted and you are clear to proceed. The noise pollution these days is as bad as emissions and it’s a reason for many illnesses to people who live in big cities and near busy roads. 

Tbh it sounds louder outside the car when it’s approaching you than it does inside the car if that makes sense. I can hear it quite well at a distance and always know the wife is nearly home lol

I've found while adults can hear the noise & take notice, the youth just seem to ignore it & walk out in front of the car.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TOYOTA Driver 2022 said:

Hi, I have been driving a toyota hybrid cross and I feel that pedestrians and animals need more sound, from these cars, for better safety.

I'd agree with you on the earlier EVs and hybrids because these didn't have any noise generating system, so they really are almost silent at low speeds but I thought the newer models were all fitted with an acoustic warning system, has it got one and it's just too quiet, or don't they have them?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-noise-systems-to-stop-silent-electric-cars-and-improve-safety

See:

If it's like my 2021 TS, it will make a noise like a stone trapped against the disk. It's safer to assume that pedestrians will not hear you coming.

• Like 2